• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

"That'll do, pig" Binoculars

Nutterbuster

SH Member
I've owned nice ($800 Zeiss) binoculars. I've owned mid-range and good-value ($150-200ish Nikon and Vortex) binoculars. I'm looking at the cheapest binoculars that I can get to use 4 or 5 times a year to look at a deer and be ok when they get ruined in a boat or left on a bumper. I am well aware of the limitations of that price range. I mostly just want something that won't give me a migraine after 30 seconds of crossing my eyes through them.

Whattaya recommend?

I beat a pair of these around for years. My son still beats them around. They've never fogged up on me and haven't given me a headache. The zoom to 17 power has even been useful a couple times. They were still manufactured back when I got mine so they were a little cheaper but, if you can find a new set or don't mind used they sound like they'd fit the bill.

If you have Vortex already, they will replace or fix anything you do to them. Why not just beat them up and then send them back at the end of the season to have them freshened up and get them back all nice and cleaned up for next year?

What @Jagger0502 said. I picked up a pair of Vortex Vanquish for my kids to use when we hike. They have beat the piss outta them and coke back for more. Plus, Vortex warranty can’t be beat, I dare you to try. Think I paid $90 for them, came with a case too.
I dropped my rifle outta the tree and busted my scope, vortex mailed me a new one BEFORE I even had the chance to send them the broken one.
Bought a floor model reflex site off eBay and the windage turret would not zero. They said send it in we’ll take a look. Mind you this was purchased from eBay which I told them. Four days later a new one arrived at my house with a hand written note, someone torqued the turret screw and broke the housing so we went you a new one. I’ll never own glass from any other company.

Hutact 10x42....get the cheap 1s cause all the "accessories" are junk. They compare with my dads expensive nikons

Vortex service is awesome. Bought a pair of their binocs and didn't like them as well as my Leupolds so returned them . I liked their strap and called to buy one. They just mailed me one. N/C

Wait, $150-200 is midrange? Damn, I’ve got to reevaluate my expenses then. I’m watching guys use $2000 Swaros and I thought my $500 viper HDs were mid range. $200 to me is “bang around in the boat” range.

Leupold Yosemite 6x30 are nice for the price. I beat mine up for 3 years before they started to develop a popping sound while focusing towards infinity. Sent them back to Leupold and had new binos in less than a week. There are several brands that have clones of these same binos, I got the Leupolds for the lifetime warranty.

If you can still find these they are great. I love mine, they rival much higher priced binoculars.
They absolutely do. I have Maven b3 6x30 as well, and the mavens are a little bit brighter in low light, have a wider field of view, and build quality is much better, but the $100 Leupolds are every bit as sharp in the center of the image as the $500 mavens.

I use the Maven B3 8x30s. Love’em!

But I hear guys love the 7x28s in the C series that are considerably less. Great warranty. I am admittedly a huge fanboy, so take my biased take for what it is.

They do offer a 20% discount for military and vets, possibly first responders?

I was confused how 500 bucks could be middle of the road for binoculars. Apparently I’m not up to date on my bino prices though. I am salty. That’s just me.

definitely not up to speed, haha

but I’d say, if you are happy with what you got and are killing deer then don’t open Pandora’s box lol

Back