• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

The expiration date on tree saddles

RDGARD

Was wondering if anyone else is concerned about using there tree saddles after the five years from manufacturer date like the tag reads?

Mine are waaaay older than that. I think mine was made in 2004. As long as you inspect it and the webbing is intact, I don't really see what could go wrong with it. The tether would wear out over time, but most of us are replacing the tethers and bridges anyway.

If you inspect the saddle itself it should be fine. If you were to leave it sitting in the sun for a year that might affect it, but besides that I would just visually check it. I'm sure the expiration dates were added by the lawyers.

redsquirrel said:
If you inspect the saddle itself it should be fine. If you were to leave it sitting in the sun for a year that might affect it, but besides that I would just visually check it. I'm sure the expiration dates were added by the lawyers.

I bet the marketing team weighed in on that too!!! Trick people into thinking they need to buy a new one.

I have a old ambush tree saddle and the linesmen belt is showing wear and its the kind that is made into the harness.I guess I could sew a new one in was wondering if it was worth it because of the exp.date on harness.

RDGARD said:
I have a old ambush tree saddle and the linesmen belt is showing wear and its the kind that is made into the harness.I guess I could sew a new one in was wondering if it was worth it because of the exp.date on harness.

There was a mod posted on here at one point where someone sewed the old linemans belt on that model saddle into linemans loops so that they could attach any linemans belt they wanted.

Maustypsu said:
redsquirrel said:

I bet the marketing team weighed in on that too!!! Trick people into thinking they need to buy a new one.

Good point!

redsquirrel said:
RDGARD said:

There was a mod posted on here at one point where someone sewed the old linemans belt on that model saddle into linemans loops so that they could attach any linemans belt they wanted.

I did this.

I cut off my original lineman belt that was sewn onto the tree saddle. I left 12 inches or so on each side and sewed loops with the Speedy Stitcher Sewing awl and they work perfectly. This is a great mod.

I agree with Red and the lawyer comment. It also might be a rating of the saddle material against sun exposure. But it lets the manufacturer off the hook if something happened and someone tried to sue.

blbloomquist said:
I agree with Red and the lawyer comment. It also might be a rating of the saddle material against sun exposure. But it lets the manufacturer off the hook if something happened and someone tried to sue.

And at this point the manufacturer is no longer in business anyway.

Keep mine inside all year figure my sit drag and my guido will last as long as I will want to climb trees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will probably have to do that mod because I was in it this weekend and linesman belt is in poor condition on ambush saddle.The other one is still in good shape but it's hotter and heavier for early season.

Back