• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

The Flu

Root

I'm writing this to urge people if you get the flu this year to seek medical help. Especially if your older or your children get it. I spent five days last week with it, and I should have gone in when it was first setting in.

On top of running my business I teach woodshop. So I usually get the stomach bug twice a year and the flu usually too. The flu this year is like nothing I've ever gone through. The first three days I didn't leave my bedroom. I stayed as hydrated as I could but it's impossible when you never stop sweating while shivering. The second two days I made it to my front steps for a bit and back to bed. To give you an idea I went from 215lbs to 194lbs in five days. I'm fully hydrated now and after dinner I'm at 196. I'm still not 100% feeling back to normal. In the middle of it I got up to use the bathroom and woke up two hours later piled up on the floor from passing out. It isn't a joke this year and I can see why so many are dying from it.

Thank you - it's really bad this year. One of the most overlooked helpers is the flu shot. Many sadly succumb to the old myth that flu shots make u sick or aren't really worthwhile. They save lives and are one of the more effective immunizations we have available to us. I also had influenza A and I'm pretty sure that my flu shot gave me SOME versus no protection. The best gift you can give yourself is a flu shot. If you DO get flu this year, take the time to get well. And spare everyone around you by not interacting as much as possible while febrile. Wait until 24° after last fever - this flu is spreading just by BREATHING. So mask up too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have had something today. I just woke up, slept all day. I have a fever of 102, sore throat, and body aches. I just had the stomach flue about a month ago. Having 3 young kids sucks when it comes to germs. No sickness makes it past our house.

I’m on 2 weeks now. The first 3-4 days were horrible with high fever, major headaches and muscle aches worse than I have ever experienced. That flu bug messed up my entire body pretty bad. Now I just can’t shake the bad cough but otherwise feel pretty good. Lost 10 lbs in the last few weeks.

As far a getting the flu shot they are claiming it’s only 10% effective this year. I know plenty of people that got the shot and got the flu just as bad as those that didn’t get a shot.

Sorry to hear about you being sick. My wife is an RN and we were talking about it the other day. There are benefits from getting the flu shot even though it is not for the curent flu strain. It does lesson the severity of the flu.
Biggest problem with the vaccination for the flu is that an educated has to made almost a year in advance to get enough vaccine made.

I listened to a talk show about the current flu 2 weeks ago. (This Dr. actually works with the CDC)

When a person coughs/sneezes you have big droplets that fall to the ground or an object. He said these germs usually die with in an hour or so. Washing your hands is not a good source of prevention.

The problem comes in with the micro vapor from the cough of sneeze. These germs stays aloft in the air and alive for 5-6 hours.

You can walk into a restaurant or elsewhere, 4-5 hours later and not even come into direct contact with a person and get the flu.

Basically the flu is airborne

I’ve never gotten a flu shot in my life. Couldn’t tell you the last time I had the flu. Got 3 lil kids too and they haven’t had a flu shot before. My wife works in a hospital so gets the shot. She is the one in the house that gets sick more than the rest. Usually just a cold. We rarely take medicine. No one is on medication. I put a teaspoon of honey in my coffee every morning. Don’t know if that does anything but has to be better than sugar.
Now that I wrote this, we all gonna be sick next week.

Get better @Root, @Dewey, @Wirrex and everyone else who has the flu. It is definitely no joke this year. Anyone else who gets it, go to the doctor right away!

I'm writing this to urge people if you get the flu this year to seek medical help. Especially if your older or your children get it. I spent five days last week with it, and I should have gone in when it was first setting in.

On top of running my business I teach woodshop. So I usually get the stomach bug twice a year and the flu usually too. The flu this year is like nothing I've ever gone through. The first three days I didn't leave my bedroom. I stayed as hydrated as I could but it's impossible when you never stop sweating while shivering. The second two days I made it to my front steps for a bit and back to bed. To give you an idea I went from 215lbs to 194lbs in five days. I'm fully hydrated now and after dinner I'm at 196. I'm still not 100% feeling back to normal. In the middle of it I got up to use the bathroom and woke up two hours later piled up on the floor from passing out. It isn't a joke this year and I can see why so many are dying from it.

Was in the same exact boat!!! 8 days into it and finally feeling much better and stronger. It was a kick in the pants even though I took Tamiflu 32hrs after first symptom!!!! Nasty this year!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I honestly would rather get one of my shoulders fixed again than go through it again. I've never been so sick that a day later I wasn't back out working in the shop/ going to work. I'm about 90% back to normal now. Mine never went into my respiratory instead I got sick to my stomach on day five. My stomach is still off.

I rarely go to the doctor myself, but this is one time I wish I'd have gone.

Psa: unless you have trouble breathing, passing out, chest pain, or serious health problems already, call your primary care doctor rather than going to ER. The ER is unlikely to be able to do much for you if you have influenza. Tamiflu doesn't really do much after 24 hours (personal opinion is that it's worthless, and has side effects).

The flu makes you feel like death for several days and symptoms can last more than a week. Stay home in your bed rather than an ER waiting room! If there is a question call your pcp. Hydrate, Motrin and Tylenol, rest. Just trying to save you guys a copay and a miserable night in the ER.

Sorry you guys got it, it really sucks this year!

I’ve never gotten a flu shot in my life. Couldn’t tell you the last time I had the flu. Got 3 lil kids too and they haven’t had a flu shot before. My wife works in a hospital so gets the shot. She is the one in the house that gets sick more than the rest. Usually just a cold. We rarely take medicine. No one is on medication. I put a teaspoon of honey in my coffee every morning. Don’t know if that does anything but has to be better than sugar.
Now that I wrote this, we all gonna be sick next week.

I knew it was gonna happen. My middle son got the flu. Sleeping in my bed, coughing all night, throwing up the expensive medicine (on the bed)..... I’m really putting my immune system to the test. Better take 3 shots of honey in the morning.

My wife got sick yesterday. She didn't get the flu shot. I tried to get her to go but she said no. I did get mine and so far so good knock on wood. My daughter in law is a Physician assistant in the ER and she said it's better to get the flu shot especially if you're young or older.

At hospital now for chest xrays. They think it's shifting on to pneumonia.

I had it last Christmas. Lost 10lbs in a week. I tried to go duck hunting once I thought I was feeling better. Got my waders on, loaded the canoe, and cranked the truck...

Wife found me that evening asleep in the driver's seat. She was not amused. Rousted my butt outta the truck and into the house. I promptly collapsed on the couch and slept another 8 hours in my waders.

Flu is bad.

Well I got pneumonia.

Already down 11 pounds.

Flu/pneumonia day 5.

Back