• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

The greatest time of the year

A week from tomorrow for us here in Michigan! I'll probably sneak out of work early and hit the evening.

Our squirrels are still ripe with bot flys
I've got some buddies that hunt in the NE part of the state and they have bad botfly problems there, but I've never seen them in any I've killed.

Our season isn't in yet and it dang sure ain't no 60°.

Been scouting for teal though. Way more pleasant on the water than in the woods. Shoupd be set to murder them this weekend
It's still low 90s during the day, but last 3 mornins it's been low 60s at daylight. The season here opens in may and runs through February, so plenty of time for squirrel killin.

I've got some buddies that hunt in the NE part of the state and they have bad botfly problems there, but I've never seen them in any I've killed.
Around here people don't hunt them till end of the year so all the grub/maggot spawn have dropped out and the legions healed.

Around here people don't hunt them till end of the year so all the grub/maggot spawn have dropped out and the legions healed.

I’ve never hunted squirrel, so forgive me if this is a dumb question, but if cooked, will that stuff bother ya? Or is it just kinda gross and that’s why ya wait until it’s colder?

I love me some squirrels! I fry mine in oil in cast iron pan. Tender and almost fall off the bone. I rarely make a stew anymore. It opens soon here and I can’t wait!

Great rifle I have one on 17 mk2
I have a 455 too with a varmint profile thread barrel in 22 it sounds like shooting a pellet gun with suppressed subsonic

Great rifle I have one on 17 mk2
I have a 455 too with a varmint profile thread barrel in 22 it sounds like shooting a pellet gun with suppressed subsonic
A 17hm2 will be a future purchase. I have a cz 512 with threaded barrel and suppressed all you hear is the action cycling. I've been very tempted to thread the barrel on my 452, but haven't done it... yet.

You may still be able to find lilja barrels for the 452 that's what I have on my 455. With eley subsonic hollowpoints it shoots .3 inch groups all day long. That's at 50 yards

Back