• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

The learning curve...

Swanny

I'm definitely a newbie here and can't say I "know" a whole lot about saddle hunting or an expert on anything related to hunting from a saddle. However, I am trying to learn. Practice seems to be the only way to do that and that is all I have so far. Got my kestral and wild edge steps not too long ago, have spent some time getting up and down, sitting and shooting from the tree. Season opens in about a month so no hunts as of yet.

Here are my thoughts....

1) I think I'm gonna love this! Although I don't have any hunts in the saddle so far, I really don't anticipate my climbers getting much use anymore, haha.

2) It was slow going at first, but I have gotten much more familiar with everything making it quicker for me to get set up. I still have a ways to go but it IS getting easier each time.

3) Trusting my equipment is also making things much easier. I will be honest and say I'm not the biggest fan of heights. I've never let that stop me from getting off the ground as I have used climbers for years but I let that fear make me cautious and deliberate when it comes to safety. It's a little weird to try to explain but I feel more free to move around for shots and more safe at the same time while in the saddle.

4) I've already tried to explain all this to some hunting buddies of mine who still can't really wrap their mind around the idea of a tree saddle. After this season is over, maybe they will understand more but at this point I'm not really concerned about them as I'm trying to take advantage of all the benefits the hunting saddle brings me. I love the weight savings, less bulk, the ability to hunt more trees/areas, 360 degree shooting ability and despite the "pucker" effect heights sometimes gives me I feel safer.

Those are some thoughts from a new guy who is thankful to stumble upon saddle hunting. We will see what all I continue to learn this season but I'm happy to be on this side of things as a newbie instead of knowing nothing about it.

It's a little weird to try to explain but I feel more free to move around for shots and more safe at the same time while in the saddle.
Welcome from northern Michigan.

I think this is the fact that most of my hunting buddies fail to understand when it comes to saddle hunting. It's not something you can really describe but rather have to experience first hand. The other is the idea of being comfortable in the saddle. To be honest I'm as comfortable in my Kestrel as I ever was in my climbers because I can make subtle position changes easier and with less movement. One buddy asked if I can nap in the kestrel and I responded " Absolutely, I just lean forward and rest my head on the bridge":grinning:.

You have many of the same feelings I did when I first started. Not a fan of heights, cautious, not hesitant but deliberate and safer at the same time. Yes it’s a strange feeling. That was a great explanation. My buddies still don’t understand the need/want for a saddle. They like preset stands and repetition. I’ve tried to convert them and gave up.

Welcome to the fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for the responses. I'm excited about the season starting soon. It's still going to be pretty hot here when the season begins but at least I will have the opportunity to put some more meat in the freezer.

Welcome to the site, sounds like a familiar assessment from the initial trials! Gets way better as you build confidence in your setup!

It seems crazy to some but I feel safer in the saddle too. I'm only decent at heights but I always had a problem with the transition of moving from climbing method to the stand. The saddle just makes me feel good the whole time.

I always wore my harness in my climber but moving/shifting my weight on the platform was always in my head and caused me concern. I didn't like the idea of moving and the possibility of the platform shifting or making noise. I don't worry about my tether doing that at all.

I'm brand new to saddles also. I thought my climber was the greatest thing ever and have used it for the last 6 seasons. Even though it's made specifically for bow hunting and it's on the lighter side it's just to bulky and awkward carrying with my pack and bow for long treks on public land. I guess I've been living under a rock because I just discovered saddle hunting about 2 weeks ago. I have already bought the sit drag and made my modifications, I bought WE steps, and climbing spurs (I did call my local game warden and was told they are legal in my area). I love how easy, small, and light everything is to pack. Just need to practice my setup and practice shooting. Excited to try this out. Happy hunting and stay safe!

I'm brand new to saddles also. I thought my climber was the greatest thing ever and have used it for the last 6 seasons. Even though it's made specifically for bow hunting and it's on the lighter side it's just to bulky and awkward carrying with my pack and bow for long treks on public land. I guess I've been living under a rock because I just discovered saddle hunting about 2 weeks ago. I have already bought the sit drag and made my modifications, I bought WE steps, and climbing spurs (I did call my local game warden and was told they are legal in my area). I love how easy, small, and light everything is to pack. Just need to practice my setup and practice shooting. Excited to try this out. Happy hunting and stay safe!

I know the feeling! Good luck to you this season as well. I will have to put my first hunt out of the saddle on hold for another week. The weather here where I hunt won't be good this weekend for the opener so I will have to wait.

Back