• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

The Piled-High Club

Nutterbuster

SH Member
DON'T POST UNTIL YOU READ!

@dalton916, @Benman, @Critter, @WHW, @redsquirrel, @boynebowhunter, @flinginairos, @ImThere, @pilgrimhunter, @Buckhole75, @Bwhana, @DaveT1963, @patriotoutlaw, @Deast1988, @Swampman, @Oak*82, @BTaylor, @NeedmoreOutdoors, @mtsrunner, @cspot, @Marv833, @debowhunter, @upstate, @the truth, @Mr Price, @Still Kicking, @1simplemann, @Mt Archer, @bowhunthard88, @dougell, @Ambushd, @deerfly, @Bowonly, @Icedog, @dcbakr78, @Woodsdog

Welcome to the "Piled-High Club." If you're tagged above, you indicated on the "How Many Deer Have You Killed?" thread that you have killed over 100 deer. Congrats on a significant accomplishment.

If you have killed over 100 deer and weren't mentioned, I apologize. 18 pages is a lot of posts to shift through. I'm sure I missed several folks. And I'm sure that several folks on here probably haven't posted on that thread. If you tag me, I'll add you.

Everybody not tagged, listen up. DON'T POST UNTIL YOU READ!

This thread is for certified killers to talk and everybody else to listen. Please restrict comments to asking questions. This is a virtual "campfire" that's giving you the opportunity to talk to about 30 people who have killed combined thousands of deer. This is your chance to cut through a lot of noise and get straight signal.

I'll start.

If you're tagged, what's the one piece of advice you'd give a hunter on his first year, with the intention of giving him the biggest heads up for the rest of his career?

Last edited:
If you're tagged, what's the one piece of advice you'd give a hunter on his first year, with the intention of giving him the biggest heads up for the rest of his career?
1a-Between scouting and hunting you can not spend enough time in the woods. 1b-You need to shoot every deer that you can for X amount of time because you need to get comfortable shooting deer to the point it becomes second nature when the big one walks out and you have a split second to make everything happen AND pull off a good shot. 1c- If in doubt, back out. You need to learn when its ok to take up a track and when you need to wait. You need to be persistent and don't give up easy. I've found many deer after losing the initial trail only to pick it up again. This ties in with 1b because you WILL make bad shots but that doesn't mean you can't still make the recovery.

I'm probably not quite at 100 but I'll throw this comment out.

100 deer and 75% over corn or in a box blind with a rifle doesn't qualify you for squat.

I'm more interested in "how" you got there. Not the fact that you did.

What do you do for a living, how many hours a year do you work?

Are you married?

Do you have kids?

What state do you live in?

How old are you, and many deer did you kill in each decade of your life?

What other time intensive hobbies do you have?

Did you have a mentor(dad who hunts or otherwise)?

Push through with confidence the struggle and the mindset that deer are NOT super creatures. They do have honed senses and can be very attentive to noise, scent and movement; however, they can not reason like we can and over the years if I made a ‘mistake’ when going to set up or blew out a deer heading in, I would give up and get frustrated and waste time going to another location. Stupid! I learned to push forward anyway and set up. Often times things will calm down and you’ll be in deer before you know it. Also, get the numbers under your belt early…. When starting out, take what ever presents itself to naturally get kill experience and develop your hunting confidence. This is where you work out things like setting up in enough cover to be able to hide your draw on a close bucks eyes, etc. Shot timing, position etc.

Last edited:
Lived in the throw a rock category for 20 years. Very high numbers. Seldom seen less than 10 deer per sit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Super envious of that situation. I have gone as many as hunting 18 days before without seeing a single deer. Those were morning and evening sits and moving to find good sign.

DON'T POST UNTIL YOU READ!

@dalton916, @Benman, @Critter, @WHW, @redsquirrel, @boynebowhunter, @flinginairos, @ImThere, @pilgrimhunter, @Buckhole75, @Bwhana, @DaveT1963, @patriotoutlaw, @Deast1988, @Swampman, @Oak*82, @BTaylor, @NeedmoreOutdoors, @mtsrunner, @cspot, @Marv833, @debowhunter, @upstate, @the truth, @Mr Price, @Still Kicking, @1simplemann, @Mt Archer, @bowhunthard88, @dougell, @Ambushd, @deerfly, @Bowonly, @Icedog, @dcbakr78, @Woodsdog

Welcome to the "Piled-High Club." If you're tagged above, you indicated on the "How Many Deer Have You Killed?" thread that you have killed over 100 deer. Congrats on a significant accomplishment.

If you have killed over 100 deer and weren't mentioned, I apologize. 18 pages is a lot of posts to shift through. I'm sure I missed several folks. And I'm sure that several folks on here probably haven't posted on that thread. If you tag me, I'll add you.

Everybody not tagged, listen up. DON'T POST UNTIL YOU READ!

This thread is for certified killers to talk and everybody else to listen. Please restrict comments to asking questions. This is a virtual "campfire" that's giving you the opportunity to talk to about 30 people who have killed combined thousands of deer. This is your chance to cut through a lot of noise and get straight signal.

I'll start.

Be persistent, willing to learn, spend your time, and have realistic goals for your experience level/and hunting location. Be willing to fail and push onward. If you rarely see good bucks around, holding out for a 140+ will get you exactly nowhere. It's kind of like anything else, put your reps in!

Killing 100 deer is a nice accomplishment but it doesn't really mean anything. It depends more on where you live and the deer density. In my home state it would take 20-100 years to do that. Some zones allow 5 deer others only 1.
Kinda like asking Ron Jeremy for dating advice

Killing 100 deer is a nice accomplishment but it doesn't really mean anything. It depends more on where you live and the deer density. In my home state it would take 20-100 years to do that. Some zones allow 5 deer others only 1.
Your entitled to your opinion. I disagree with you. It means a lot to those mentioned at the top. With a few strokes of a keyboard, you are belittling a lifetime of deer hunting experience and knowledge of 36 hardcore hunters that probably have THOUSANDS of hours in the tree learning what to do and what not to do. They all probably do things a little bit different but IMO they all one thing in common. They are true "killer's" This wealth of information and knowledge didn't come easy.. It takes years and years and a lot hard work. Whenever I'm given advice from a true "killer", I listen. I've hunted w/ guys that have hundreds of kills. Most of them were willing to help another guy out no matter their experience level in the woods. There's always some little golden nugget that can be learned. It might benefit you to follow that advice.

Nut,
The best advice I can give, be in the woods as much as you possibly can. Look, listen and learn. It takes years and doesn't come over night despite what the internet and YouTube say. I've seen your stuff. I have no doubt You'll have your 100 kills someday.

I kind of agree. Are these high-quality deer or is it counting every single doe, spike and basket rack you've shot since you were 9 years old? Not to take anything away from these guys tagged though.

Your entitled to your opinion. I disagree with you. It means a lot to those mentioned at the top. With a few strokes of a keyboard, you are belittling a lifetime of deer hunting experience and knowledge of 36 hardcore hunters that probably have THOUSANDS of hours in the tree learning what to do and what not to do. They all probably do things a little bit different but IMO they all one thing in common. They are true "killer's" This wealth of information and knowledge didn't come easy.. It takes years and years and a lot hard work. Whenever I'm given advice from a true "killer", I listen. I've hunted w/ guys that have hundreds of kills. Most of them were willing to help another guy out no matter their experience level in the woods. There's always some little golden nugget that can be learned. It might benefit you to follow that advice.
Two things can be true at the same time.

If you want to kill a lot of deer, you have to go to a place that has a lot of deer and liberal bag limits. You still have to be able to get close enough to get into range for your weapon of choice. Doesnt take a lot of effort to hunt high density locations. Deer hunting isnt some mythical thing either if all you care about meat in the freezer.

When you shift to hunting a specific deer then the order of magnitude goes up. Doing so on public land or heavily hunted private land, and the order of magnitude goes up a few times.

Last edited:
I'm not belittling anything. Simply stating there are underlying factors that aren't taken into account by simply stating killing 100 deer.
Also, the means of how it was accomplished means alot here. I know ppl that have killed a lot of deer on grandpa's farm in the same treestands in the same place they've always been set. Someone earlier mentioned bait piles. Doesn't make them a better hunter.

When I think of a "killer" I think of the writer from bowhunting magazine Eddie Claypool. Guy does it on public everywhere and has a very high success rate.

Killing doesn't make you a better hunter, and hunting doesn't make you a better killer. These are both facets that need to be polished through dues paid. Just like being tall doesn't make you good at basketball, and being good at basketball doesn't mean you're tall... I know where I came from and how I got here, and obviously I didn't do it to impress anyone here because no one here existed to me before three years ago. I grew up on venison, we ate deer not beef, the fringe benefit is that you had fun "shopping". I realize that my individual road may not be viewed as the high road to some, and maybe to others I still live in the underworld. I personally wouldn't change where I came from or how I got here. I'm not here to argue with the perception of the "proper" way to reach "X" amount of "acceptable" deer or deer numbers to qualify "respect". I know "killers" in double-digits, and I actually know "killers" into the four digit range, so obviously there may be an equity of opportunity not an equality of opportunity. I will say that prioritizing opportunity may be the first step...

What do you do for a living, how many hours a year do you work?

Are you married?

Do you have kids?

What state do you live in?

How old are you, and many deer did you kill in each decade of your life?

What other time intensive hobbies do you have?

Did you have a mentor(dad who hunts or otherwise)?
- Retail sporting goods manager/professional bow tech. 50-70 hours per week.
- Yes, currently, obviously not when I started hunting at the age of 10 lol.
- Yes, currently, obviously not when I started hunting at the age of 10 lol.
- PA, currently; I grew up in NJ.
- 35. 10-20 a few deer were harmed probably low twenties all told, 20-30 stacked 'em, 30-35 somewhere about 16ish...?
- Deer hunting, but there were periods where turkey and/or predator hunting and/or trout fishing were very highly time-consuming.
- My dad is still one of the best hunters that I have ever known, and probably will ever know (although everyone's definition is different).

Back