• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

The surprise scout

Bigburner

Little long winded but hang with me just trying to lay out the details.
Last Friday I headed down to the wooly swamp to scout some beds in the marsh in the pouring rain.

I scouted a state WMA but I accessed it through a meadow on National Wildlife Refuge. The state piece is highlighted in blue. I called the fed office to see if it was possible and no problem but as far as hunting the fed it’s a serious hassle so long story short I want to avoid that.

Anyway, I made it back into the phragmites with my hip boots on and followed some trails to beds which were pretty much what I expected. I had a lot of active beds with hair and droppings, about 8 or 9 and all were singular except for one that looked like a doe spot. The only thing is that there were no rubs. So are they in fact being used by bucks? Do they always have to have a rub in them? Anybody have experience with this? I did find a small rub line along the marsh edge to the north of the beds.

sitting in the bed

All of the marsh beds are the pink dots.

So, that left me with a decision but I wasn’t aware at the time that another set of circumstances were going to make themselves present. I walked along the east side of the hedgerow that ran between a private farm and the NWR meadow and where the first red star to the south on the second map is, I bumped a bedded buck. He let me walk right past him on the way in because I walked down the middle of the meadow. On the way out I walked 5’ from him before he busted out.
Here is his bed and this is what he sees from his bed. He sees the private field the state WMA and the fed. meadow along with the fed. treestand at the south edge of the meadow. So, nothing getting by him.

He sits on the ditch and there is was a trail going to the north to the point where the other red star is located and I found his penthouse suite. Here’s his bed with my pack sitting in it. His back to a small pond and his staging area full of rubs and poop. He sees the farmers house across the field. He sees the State WMA boundary and far into the woods to the south west. He sees the aforementioned treestand to the south east and he sees the parking area to the north and pretty much has 360 vision as well as the thermal pooling of both the pond and the opening of his staging area. Nuts. I was blown away at how perfect his set-up is.

his stagging area

the view from the parking area looking south the red/white arrow is his bed and the blue/white star is the state stand

So the $64,000 question. How would you guys go about trying to get a crack at him. My assumption is that the field to the west is going to be in soy beans this year and he can take ten steps from his staging area and be in that field. The closest oaks are to the southwest with him having to travel into the woods and along the marsh edge to his south and then have to travel west.
Also would you guys try to hunt the marsh beds or just forego them knowing that there is a known target in your area. It’s a one shot deal it seems to me. The bed on the point and the hedgerow make him pretty hard to get to. I figured if I tried to hunt the area with the northern most bed I could set up in the small block of timber to his southwest. There is a parallel trail along the inside of the field edge with a bunch of scrapes but that may be night time garbage. And I think I would have to access from the south and walk off of the main rd. (little neck) going into the WMA but in doing so I burn all the beds in the marsh when walking through and definitely when the thermal start pooling in that water course.

It looks pretty dense in there. How about a ground blind along a travel route to the soybean field/in the soybean field? Ask the farmer for permission. It never hurts to ask. Worst they'll say is no.

I really hate phragmites. I went in with muckboots one time and nearly lost my left boot and it took me almost 10 minutes to get unstuck (one mistep and they'll get ya'). With that being said, forego the marsh hunting unless you have a hardwood trail you can setup in. That's just my humble opinion. Phargmites are too much of a PITA for me.

Were there any super well-worn paths from the bedding area to the beanfield that were huntable? Do you think he'll travel SW through the marsh-edge, or just go due west since it's so close? You said prevailing wind is from the West, correct? If so, set up north or south if you can find a North/South trail.

As I posted in your other thread, others will probably have better ideas/comments/solutions.

Dave

Burner,

I noticed that you live in DE. I just moved from the Eastern Shore to Pittsburgh myself. I miss it already. I lived in Berlin, MD. Do you ever hunt MD? I should be in Talbot County this fall for a week or so hunting (goose, duck,and deer). I never did get to hunt DE.

Good luck with your scouting,
Dave

I live in Milton, Home of Dogfish Head! I surf a lot down in Asseteuge and OC so I'm super familiar with the area. Berlin, is an awesome town. far cry from the burg. I never made it down that way to hunt. I wouldn't mind trying to Sika deer hunt down at the park. I got invited to hunt sika in Dorchester Co. but just couldn't swing it last year.

Attachments

• 20150413_174204.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 6
  • 20150413_174153.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 6
  • 20150413_174049.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 6
  • 20150413_173945.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 6
  • 20150413_173934.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 6
  • 20150413_173915.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 5
I need to think this one over for a little bit and I'll get back to you. It looks like a really great spot but like you said tough to hunt so I really want to analyze it. Like I said in your other post I'm new to beast style too so I'm gonna think it over a bit.

On a side note, my parents are officially selling our house on LBI in NJ and buying a place in Selbysville right near my parents in law so next time I am down there we will definitely have to meet up!

I thought about it and decided that I may hunt the beds from the outside in. Only way I can not miss out on not burning those marsh beds just by walking in from the south west. Its .89 miles from the state wma entrance to those spots if you want to get to them the right way. I can set up a little inside of the marsh edge with the wind in my face early just a little ways up from where the trail exits into the timber only about 8 feet off the ground. Only way of knowing whats going to happen with the thermals near the water is to drop milk weed seed and see how it goes. I hunted a serious pinch point just on the apex of that gut that goes up into that area on the western tip of it. thinking that the deer would come across in the eveing and hit the oaks, but I hunted it on a south west wind and had the water pull my scent into it in the evening not knowing that all the deer were bedded down wind of me. Duh! :lol: So needless to say I didn't kill anything that night but I had a giant 8 pointer feeding in the field to my west that was bedded on one of those western points jutting out into the field on the private. He popped out right at where they had a ladder stand set up on the field edge. I scoped his bed early this spring and he's sees every car and everything coming and going from a mile away so I'm pretty sure he made it this year.

Yeah man that would be cool I'm right off of 113 on the way down to Selbyville. I have a buddy of mine whose parents live in harvey cedars and we would go up to LBI to surf all over the place, Holy oak and Barnagett light all those spots.

I think hunting that from the outside in is the way to go. Especially early in the season you may get him on his feet in daylight a little further from his bed than after a little pressure kicks in.

Once my parents move down there I'll be heading down your way a decent amount. My dad is selling our old boat and I'm working on him to upgrade to something a bit bigger so we can do some day trips for tuna ;). Our current house is in Barnegat Light and I grew up with our first time share in Harvey Cedars. I love it down there and I'm sure going to miss that place. It is beautiful down in Delaware though and there is lots to do, just gonna be a bit further of a trip for me.

Back