• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

the wife wants to come out for obsevation sits so i just got to buy a new saddle!

thedutchtouch

SH Member
we'll see how this all goes, but i just ordered a dryad drey for her, hope she'll be comfy, and i look forward to trying it the (majority) times she doesn't want to come along. I'm pumped, even if she never sees me shoot a deer, she's interested in my interests AND i get to buy more gear as a result, win- win. boxes from dryad and EWO on the way to me, happy monday to you all as well.

How well is she going to handle being blindfolded on the way to and from the stand? She cant tell anyone where you hunt if she doesnt know.

lol thankfully 1. all i need to do is walk her in a 100 yard circle in the woods and i think we're good and 2. none of our/her friends hunt and they all think i'm weird so she's got nobody to share with anyway lol
And then, just like that... the necessity for a two-seater electric bike was birthed.

lol we've tried a tandem and "we" decided it's not for "us" perhaps one of the kids will ride it with me some day.

How well is she going to handle being blindfolded on the way to and from the stand? She cant tell anyone where you hunt if she doesnt know.
I had take my wife’s picture taking privileges away because she was sharing pictures of us where we were hunting and she has GPS enabled on her phone so any hunter worth their salt could look at the location and be in my hunting spot the next morning! Women am I right?

good to know about metadata lol but to be honest, i'm not so sure anyone wants to steal any data/spots from me. we'll likely see many more birds than deer, one of the reasons she's interested!
I took my wife and we hunted from the ground the first a couple times. Then she learned how to use a climber. There is a bit going on with a saddle, especially the drey, so I would encourage you to have her practicing in the yard a bunch from the ground, then sticks, then platform before taking her into the deer woods.

I took my wife and we hunted from the ground the first a couple times. Then she learned how to use a climber. There is a bit going on with a saddle, especially the drey, so I would encourage you to have her practicing in the yard a bunch from the ground, then sticks, then platform before taking her into the deer woods.
agreed. we've been practicing with my method a bit already so she's not a complete newbie, and if i end up carrying folding camp chairs into the woods for us to sit at the base of a tree instead for the first sit, so be it, i'm just happy she wants to check it out. safety first though for sure, i'm more nervous teaching her how to climb a tree than myself, she's more important.

agreed. we've been practicing with my method a bit already so she's not a complete newbie, and if i end up carrying folding camp chairs into the woods for us to sit at the base of a tree instead for the first sit, so be it, i'm just happy she wants to check it out. safety first though for sure, i'm more nervous teaching her how to climb a tree than myself, she's more important.
Everyone is different. There is not one industrious bone in my wife’s body and I was struggling trying to explain everything that I already knew with respect to saddles, climbing, setting up, adjusting tether height etc. she scared me to death on the ground so we haven’t been more than a foot off the ground with saddle stuff, Lol hence the climber. Enjoy your time together and don’t let her bring coffee or tea and snacks. Mine will try and snack the whole time and then have to take 7 bathroom breaks. We saw some deer last year but it was a challenge! I’m sure not much different then taking a kid. That’s what I felt like to me haha. I still had fun. Let us know how she like the drey. I wanted to get my wife one because I figured it would be comfortable for her.

for me it's almost the warm up to taking the kids- once she sees how "boring" it actually is, i'll have an easier time taking the kids in the woods without her worrying so much. they'll stay on the ground until we're ready too. this is all one of the weird wrinkles about jumping right into saddles, i've never used a hang on or a ladder stand or any of those other things to compare tovin terms of how easy/safe it feels, one step at a time.

for me it's almost the warm up to taking the kids- once she sees how "boring" it actually is, i'll have an easier time taking the kids in the woods without her worrying so much. they'll stay on the ground until we're ready too. this is all one of the weird wrinkles about jumping right into saddles, i've never used a hang on or a ladder stand or any of those other things to compare tovin terms of how easy/safe it feels, one step at a time.
Man, that's cool that you wife wants to be there on the hunt with you. How do you think she will be actually seeing a deer get arrowed or shot? Something to think about beforehand and maybe broach the subject. My wife loves venison and has nothing against hunting, but she doesn't want to see any part of the process. Good luck to both of you this season.

Man, that's cool that you wife wants to be there on the hunt with you. How do you think she will be actually seeing a deer get arrowed or shot? Something to think about beforehand and maybe broach the subject. My wife loves venison and has nothing against hunting, but she doesn't want to see any part of the process. Good luck to both of you this season.
yeah we've talked about that a bit, right now to be honest chances of this occurring are likely low, as i'm not the greatest hunter solo... that said if i do get an opportunty for a shot, her plan is to close her eyes most likely. I'm fully aware there may be disturbing noises etc (particularly if i make a bad shot) so if it disturbs her to the point that she doesn't want to come again, so be it. In my mind it's still worth it as i think it's good to witness at least once in every meat eater's life.

Man I wish I could talk my wife into going with me hunting.
shes one of the many people that's gotten somewhat into bird watching the last year or so, it's this angle that has appealed to her, as well as the deer spotting. the shooting part she's leaving to me/ could likely do without and have just as much fun.

yeah we've talked about that a bit, right now to be honest chances of this occurring are likely low, as i'm not the greatest hunter solo... that said if i do get an opportunty for a shot, her plan is to close her eyes most likely. I'm fully aware there may be disturbing noises etc (particularly if i make a bad shot) so if it disturbs her to the point that she doesn't want to come again, so be it. In my mind it's still worth it as i think it's good to witness at least once in every meat eater's life.

shes one of the many people that's gotten somewhat into bird watching the last year or so, it's this angle that has appealed to her, as well as the deer spotting. the shooting part she's leaving to me/ could likely do without and have just as much fun.
It sounds like it will be just fine then. What you don't want is for it to be a bad experience that she wasn't anticipating.

I'd recommend only releasing an arrow on a deer you're 99.9% confident in double lunging. She may never let you hear the end of it if you released on a deer and it ended up doing the front leg drag because you ended up spining it. It would be a terrible first experience in the woods for her.

I'd recommend only releasing an arrow on a deer you're 99.9% confident in double lunging. She may never let you hear the end of it if you released on a deer and it ended up doing the front leg drag because you ended up spining it. It would be a terrible first experience in the woods for her.
i'd like to hope that's what i hold myself to regardless of if she's there or not, but good point/ agreed.

Back