• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Thinking about getting into this but have some questions.

gobbler getter

Hello Saddle Hunting Community!

Been lurking on these forums over the past few days after having listened to quite a bit of John Eberhart online. I am quite intrigued by the opportunity that this type of hunting opens up. I've read through quite a few of the forums but had just a few clarifying questions from the things I have read if someone doesn't mind taking the time to answer (although I know there will be many differing opinions on a few of them).

1. What are the name of the bolts that you guys are using to climb your trees/use as a platform? This seems like such a time saver compared to how I have done my climbing in the past.

2. Can you leave the bolts in the trees instead of bringing them with you each time? 98% of my hunting is done on about 140 acres of private land that I have permission to leave steps in. Just seems more convenient if I am able to leave them.

3. Is the Aero Hunter pretty much the only commercially available Saddle on the market today? It seems a bit pricey, but I am willing to pay it if it means I never buy a treestand again :). Do they ever go on sale? I won't need to use it to hunt until Oct 1 here in Michigan so I can wait for a bit.

4. How do you guys manage your ropes. Do you just put the ones not in use in your backpack (lineman's belt, tree strap, etc..).

Thanks in advance. It seems like you all are a cool, tight knit group of guys here. Looking forward to learning more about this style of hunting.

Howdy! I'm a newbie here myself. But I have logged a lot of hours in my saddle this season (40+ just in the last 2 weeks) so I think I can answer your questions.

1. Screw in Ameristeps are very popular for presets. You generally leave them in the tree, which can get expensive. Some folks are using a 6" grade 8 3/8" hex bolt. These are cheaper and can be removed and used for different trees. Read up on the EZ Kut drill. This is what I will be using on private land next year. Fast, cheap, and easy.

2. Leaving bolts in the tree is common, and definitely makes for a fast and quiet setup.

3. If you want a new saddle, Aerohunter is the only option I'm aware of other than buying a sitdrag and rock climbing harness and fabricating your own. I use the Kestrel, and LOVE it.

4. I started using a small backpack, but now keep my lineman's belt and tether in a small molle pouch attached to my saddle. Easier to access for sure.

You'll find that there are lots of ways to skin the saddle hunting rabbit. The folks here are very helpful and open-minded to new ideas. I'm sure more knowledgeable members than me will be along shortly.

Hello Saddle Hunting Community!

Been lurking on these forums over the past few days after having listened to quite a bit of John Eberhart online. I am quite intrigued by the opportunity that this type of hunting opens up. I've read through quite a few of the forums but had just a few clarifying questions from the things I have read if someone doesn't mind taking the time to answer (although I know there will be many differing opinions on a few of them).

1. What are the name of the bolts that you guys are using to climb your trees/use as a platform? This seems like such a time saver compared to how I have done my climbing in the past.

2. Can you leave the bolts in the trees instead of bringing them with you each time? 98% of my hunting is done on about 140 acres of private land that I have permission to leave steps in. Just seems more convenient if I am able to leave them.

3. Is the Aero Hunter pretty much the only commercially available Saddle on the market today? It seems a bit pricey, but I am willing to pay it if it means I never buy a treestand again :). Do they ever go on sale? I won't need to use it to hunt until Oct 1 here in Michigan so I can wait for a bit.

4. How do you guys manage your ropes. Do you just put the ones not in use in your backpack (lineman's belt, tree strap, etc..).

Thanks in advance. It seems like you all are a cool, tight knit group of guys here. Looking forward to learning more about this style of hunting.
Welcome to the site!
1. Bolts are grade 8 bolts. You will see the drill for putting them in referred to as the ezcut drill or woodpecker drill. In your situation screw in steps are a great option, I use them all the time.
2. The bolts can be left in the tree. An advantage of that system is that once you drill the holes, it only takes a few minutes to climb the tree as you put the bolts back in. I leave screw in steps in the tree until I decide to break that tree down.
3. Yes. The sit and drag is intended for the ground and most guys who use that supplement it with a rock climbing harness for a safety backup.
4. I have 2 ropes, my tether and my lineman's belt. They live in a dump pouch on my left hip and the only time they ever leave is when they are in use. At the top of the tree after I have hooked up into my tether I put my lineman's belt back in the pouch and it stays there until it is time to come down.

Don't hesitate to ask whatever further questions pop up!

I just bought the EZ kut hand drill, the Tree Hopper drill bit, and a bunch of bolts on ebay. That was the cheapest method.

Sure. That's a super fast way to climb. What some members do is paint or plastidip the bolt at the proper depth. That way you could easily see if the bolt was properly seated or slid out from the tree.

Buy the Kestrel. There may come a point in time when you catch the DIY bug, but until then, the Kestrel is an amazing product.

I attach a small pouch on each hip. That's where my ropes and a few accessories live.

This video may help a little. It's not the kestrel, but the pouches and rope management still apply.

Hopefully that helps!

I have a Kestrel and my lineman's belt and tether are Daisy Chained and put in a pouch on my left side. I would definitely buy a Kestrel it is an awesome saddle. I also have a Guido's web and a treesuit I bought years ago years ago which they do not make anymore same with the Guido's web they just went out of business. I never went the sit and drag route but a lot of guys on here like it.

Woodpecker Drill and some Grade 8 bolts....

Here is a video I made on how to use the drill:

Here is a video I made on how to dip the bolts:

Back