• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Thinking about it.

Soupy6914

I have been hunting for years on one or two pieces of private property. So I have always left my stands in the woods. Both climbers and lock-on I recently started hunt state land were you can't leave your stand or it will be gone the next day. I carried in a LW Assault climber last year but I am thinking about making the switch to saddle hunting. I do have two saddles for climbing gonna see if I can come up with a way to modify one so I can sit longer. We will see

I say just convert once you do that you won't want to go back. I did the same thing set some stands and used to carry a climber. Now I hunt 98% out my saddle. I have two stands left down from 15 total. I leave those up to bring out new guys who don't have much outdoors experience to introduce them to deer hunting. Its my way to promote the lifestyle and traditions. Anyways please keep us updated on your progression and wish you the best of luck.

Welcome, Soupy. Take your time. You don't have to switch over your hunting method completely in a week. It's new and overwhelming if you try to figure it all out at once. Lots of ways to try/buy a saddle and resell without losing a bunch of money if you later discover it isn't for you.

I thought saddle hunting would be good for certain situations when I first started looking into it. I figured "I have more money in ladder stands than a new Saddle and they can't be used in every situation either..." After hunting in a saddle just a few times, I realized that the only situation where a saddle is better than a climber, hang on or ladder stand is any hunting situation.. yep, pretty much beats them all. I have two climbers hanging in my garage collecting dust. I left all of my ladder stands behind last year or gave them away. I have hunted in tree stands exactly twice since my first saddle hunt.

Both ladders were already in place and both were meat hunts. Those two hunts are offset by the two hunts where I climbed pre-existing stands and then added a few steps, to get up higher and make a platform to saddle hunt from the same tree as a ladder stand was already in. That's how much I prefer them.
Good luck in your search.

I second what @Maustypsu says about not having to jump in all at once. I will also second his assertion that saddles really do seem to trump stands in my experience. They are much lighter, much less bulky, and far more comfortable. But, they are very individualistic and can take a bit of time to dial them in. I built one last year, and will be putting another 2 together over the course of the next year.
Also, be careful.... they are addicting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is my 2nd year in my saddle. I am still learning and tweaking but I won't go back to a climber again. I sold all my standstuff last year and don't regret it at all

I second what @Maustypsu says about not having to jump in all at once. I will also second his assertion that saddles really do seem to trump stands in my experience. They are much lighter, much less bulky, and far more comfortable. But, they are very individualistic and can take a bit of time to dial them in. I built one last year, and will be putting another 2 together over the course of the next year.
Also, be careful.... they are addicting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

X2 its like hunting crack lol. Very individualistic no one saddle will fit everyone. Go for it but take your time as it has been suggested. Don't get frustrated with the fit and feel that too comes with time. Once you get bit by the bug you won't look back

Good post Mausty.

There is no question that saddle hunting is the MOST VERSATILE system there is. However, it truly isn't for everyone. You have to be willing to learn and have an open mind. If you don't, it won't work for you. It also helps immensely if you are a bit of a tinkerer at heart.

Good luck and welcome to the best community on the Internet.

Well I started gathering stuff last night. I usually climb Ddrt so I bought a new rope that's shorter then the ones I have (don't want to cut up the ones I have). Also got a ropeman2 coming. Gonna try it out this weekend in a NT Onyx

Last edited:
Back