• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Thoughts?

DannyAttacksTheMountain

About to scout all day here tomorrow. Any thoughts? Should take a couple hours to get to

f14329982419905e2106c85049a221f4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your not going to like me. I would concentrate the high ridge area on left side of map especially along the draw that run west by north west

Can’t draw on map. On online.

The tighter the lines on a contour map the steeper it is.

If you look at the N. Right below point on the map where you see 2500. That looks like a small plateau or slightly sloping area. That is 2500 elavation above sea level at that point.

If you look where the line form a V below that. With the bottom of the V‘s pointing upward to the left. You see how tight tight have mjne are and spread out. That is telling me you have a ravine possibly a creek.

The wider and more spread out the lines the more easy the slope.

Had to ask my 11 year old. He laughed at me.

Danny & Ernie hopefully that helps. Others may have differing views or opinions but I would start my search there as it is a natural route.

If you are looking for beds I would concentrate north of that along the 2800 ellivation.

That looks like a ridge line with several ridges or drop offs. Deer in the mountains like to sleep in a high area and come down in the evening for feed especially if there are fields below.

Last edited:
Thanks for the insight my fellow saddle hunters. After this cup of coffee I’m headed out

So how was it?

Found a couple of what I believe are buck beds but I didn’t find any evidence of any big boys being in there. All rubs were knee level or below and on smaller diameter trees.

I also found that the area I expected to have good sign and hold good buck beds had lots of black bear sign. So this may be one possible reason why the deer appear to have moved out.

However, I did find some good doe bedding with some scrapes on the downwind side. So I might use it as a backup spot when my better spots won’t produce. This spot would be a morning spot during the chase phase.

Thanks all for the info and help!

DATM

d2de2c69d4f6f0b4965d086e62a7e46a.jpg

cca09f5703929edce0473438b71a8f2f.jpg

038e999555372cdd8b4117c6aeb7711a.jpg

What's the time frame you plan to hunt it?
If you're hunting during the period just prior to the peak of the rut, then I'd like to see the bigger picture so we can see how bucks traveling big miles will access the property.
I think we sometimes get tunnel vision locked onto looking at just our piece of property or even tiny pieces of our property, but if you can see how/where your property relates to major travel corridors, I feel that will answer a lot of questions on how deer enter and use your property.

What's the time frame you plan to hunt it?
If you're hunting during the period just prior to the peak of the rut, then I'd like to see the bigger picture so we can see how bucks traveling big miles will access the property.
I think we sometimes get tunnel vision locked onto looking at just our piece of property or even tiny pieces of our property, but if you can see how/where your property relates to major travel corridors, I feel that will answer a lot of questions on how deer enter and use your property.

This is public land. If I do hunt it then it will be during the chase phase. This will not be my first go to. This will be a back up spot for when my others don’t work out

It seems like deer like to hoard up at access areas. I think they use the whole landscape but the keep there watch does and bucks at access areas. What do you think Danny? Did you see more sign close to your access point?

This is public land. If I do hunt it then it will be during the chase phase. This will not be my first go to. This will be a back up spot for when my others don’t work out

Not all public land is created equal. How heavily is that public unit hunted?
There's public land not too far from Pittsburgh that are jam packed with hunters and there are other game lands in more rural areas that are producing some pretty good bucks.

Back