• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Throwline connections for SRT?

justsomedude

I have a Delta Screwlink at the top of my rope and a stopper knot on the tail. I try to avoid tying knots in the field when i can.

I tie loops in the end of my throw line and girth hitch behind the screw link or attach the loop to it. If I need to attach to the tail, I girth hitch a loop behind the stopper knot. If I use my gear haul line, it has a small fake carabiner that I can clip behind the stopper or girth hitch if needed.

I'll be using throw line (thicker Zing It), Paracord for preset and Gear Haul line to retrieve rope.

That said...
What's the right way?
I can see where that bulk could get stuck.

Sounds right to me.

I'm using a Delta screw link on one end, no stopper on the other as it snags my screw link.

1.7 mm zing it, I don't know if 2.2 mm is better or worse.

Paracord for retrieval and pre-sets but considering the other 3mm rope posted on the other thread

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I have a 50' throw line. Do I ever really need to untie my throw bag? Or is it efficient enough to just feed it through and always use the tail end?

I have a 50' throw line. Do I ever really need to untie my throw bag? Or is it efficient enough to just feed it through and always use the tail end?
Depends on how you store your throw line. It tangles a lot faster if you leave the bag attached.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

My throw bag came with 1/8" braided Poly Rope. It was pretty kinked up but I am going to use it a bit before trying Zing It. There's 150'...My current rope is only 32' after knots so I guess I'll start with a 60' throw line.
It came with a stuff sack. I have it rolled in Fig 8 using my elbow with the Bag end on the last outside wraps.

I tie the throw line to the tail end to drag it up over the branch. It is basically 4 or 5 loops around the last 12 inches of the rope. I got it from some climbing page so you should be able to find it, the intention is to keep the throw line as inline as possible with the climbing rope to avoid a snag. @Whispers Death also posted in the big SRT thread about adding a paracord loop to the end of your rope by burning a hole through the end of the rope to pull through. I did that on one rope too. It was pretty nice but I didn't use that rope much.

There's other ways to attach a throwline but a clove hitch with a half hitch is a simple quick way to do it. Just for kicks I timed it at 10-12 seconds, not long enough to need other contraptions attached to the line. On the throwball I like a slip knot. Snugged down it holds plenty tight enough with slickline anyway. Some of the newer materials are more slippery and may need different knot.

Attachments

• 20170926_160514[1].jpg
    20170926_160514[1].jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 70
  • 20170926_160819[1].jpg
    20170926_160819[1].jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 70
There's other ways to attach a throwline but a clove hitch with a half hitch is a simple quick way to do it. Just for kicks I timed it at 10-12 seconds, not long enough to need other contraptions attached to the line. On the throwball I like a slip knot. Snugged down it holds plenty tight enough with slickline anyway. Some of the newer materials are more slippery and may need different knot.
That's exactly what I do when pulling up the end that doesn't have an eye splice.

One end of my KM-III Max rope has a right eye splice that I run a delta screw link through. On tight crotches where the delta or splice got hung up, I've pulled the other end through with the clove/half hitch and it didn't even pause. Good trick to have in your back pocket even if you don't use it every time.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I usually do 3 half hithes before the clove hitch but that's probably excessive.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Back