• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Tips on quieting Goretex?

CavePainter

I know there are companies that advertise "quiet" rain gear with soft outer layers to silence the rubbing but has anyone found a DIY solution? Was thinking of putting patches of fleece or some other soft material on the inner leg and arms of my goretex camo suit.

My solution was to waterproof fleece with camp-dri or whatever spray-on waterproofer I could find, and leave the Gortex in my pack. I sweat so much in Goretex I might as well not be wearing rain gear. I've mostly transitioned to USGI ponchos, but, honestly, if it's raining so hard I'm worried about losing my blood trail, I'm going to take a break from hunting. Maybe I'll rig a shelter and read a book while I wait for it to pass, or ride it out in my truck, or hike until I find a good place to set up when the weather breaks.

If you're set on wearing your Goretex, maybe try a light fleece vest over it? I bet a turkey vest would serve the same purpose as well. Fleece chaps would probably get torn up pretty quickly, but maybe some cordura-type material, or retired chainsaw chaps?

I know there are companies that advertise "quiet" rain gear with soft outer layers to silence the rubbing but has anyone found a DIY solution? Was thinking of putting patches of fleece or some other soft material on the inner leg and arms of my goretex camo suit.

They all crinkle.

Supposedly, the US military gave up on quiet waterproof membranes and now, when stealth is needed, they wear their rain gear under a quieter top layer.

I've pulled fleece pajamas over rain pants before and it quiets them and also adds warmth.

The quietest rain gear I've used is Rivers West fleece.

It isn't the most breathable though. However, it has plenty of pit and other zips for ventilation.

Wool and an umbrella ratcheted to the tree. I cut out an end so it fits the tree better. It’s not perfect but can keep you drier longer while the hard stuff comes down
I've got an Ameristep tree stand umbrella, used it on a ladder stand. It worked OK as I recall but haven't used it in several seasons. I should dig it back out.

I'm with woodsdog on this one... I have a tree umbrella for when it's real rain. Major difference in comfort and not particularly heavy. You can buy one or make your own pretty easily.

That said, I used a 2-part membrane fabric on my bibs and the lining helps keep it a little quieter than if I'd just made a shell pant.

Eberhart swears by some Rivers West pieces too. They still in business?

yep, these 2 pieces are incredible

The membrane isn't as breathable as gore tex but I trust it more in heavy rain and wind. It's not silent but quieter than most others. And it has vent zips on the pants and 4 zip vents on the jacket.

They are on my list of "maybe I should buy an extra set and hermetically store them for future use?"

Wool and a tree umbrella would probably get you through any weather that is actually productive hunting. The only exception is the flash hard rain that clears up quick. I will sit tight for that because afterwards and right before and can be really good.

When way younger (like 16), I'd hunt in torrential downpours and even lightning and wouldn't see a single deer. I'm slightly less dumb now.....

I wear a ultralight weight leafy suit over my rain gear. Works great. You also aren’t limited to camo rain gear then. Good luck!

That's a really good idea and I'm embarrassed it never occurred to me.

If anyone is looking for a leafy suit, these are really good quality.

I had a question and emailed them, and the company owner called me the same day while he was on the road. He answered my questions and then talked about hunting, etc for 15 minutes.

I've got an Ameristep tree stand umbrella, used it on a ladder stand. It worked OK as I recall but haven't used it in several seasons. I should dig it back out.

I have a brand new one I bought a couple of years ago…I hid it from myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back