• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Top of line sticks or go mid range?

Johbran

I’m new to saddle hunting and I’m wondering about sticks. I won’t be walking miles so weight isn’t a huge issue, mainly quality and how well the sticks bite tree. Do I go Tethrd One Sticks, beast sticks or would skeletors be my choice?

I’m new to saddle hunting and I’m wondering about sticks. I won’t be walking miles so weight isn’t a huge issue, mainly quality and how well the sticks bite tree. Do I go Tethrd One Sticks, beast sticks or would skeletors be my choice?
I can't speak for other brands as I am new to saddle hunting and only have used one set. I have the Trophy Line / Novix double minis with cable aiders from EWO. They bite into the tree in well I haven't had any issues with them kicking out or parts becoming wobbly. I believe they are $250 for a 4 pack.

alot of guys here will say beast sticks except for the tethrd fan boys (jk,jk, dont riot) I have used lone wolf sticks for years with no complaints. They bite well and arent super heavy. The novix sticks are the same thing.

alot of guys here will say beast sticks except for the tethrd fan boys (jk,jk, dont riot) I have used lone wolf sticks for years with no complaints. They bite well and arent super heavy. The novix sticks are the same thing.

I agree with this. Novix sticks are still the best for the money in my opinion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
Novix/trophyline double steps for best budget stick, eastern woods outdoors or beast sticks for top of the line, some might say tethrd ones, my opinion is go for them if you too want to be a crash test dummy for their next recall. Fanboys think gen 3 sticks are fine now. They may be, and are the lightest option if you're willing to use them. I'm not.

Depends on your personality honestly, are you into testing and trying out things all the time or can you hold yourself back from other purchases once you have something? If you can honestly tell yourself that you can be happy not trying out other things. I say buy once and cry once, get the high end sticks. But if you like to tinkers and get bored easily with using same thing, be ok with that too! Also look at EWO sticks, they are very popular due to how far they get you away from the tree.

In my opinion there’s only 2 options. Beast sticks, or hawk heliums. Ones budget and one isn’t. The beasts are 100000% worth the money too. Buy 2 sticks for a little more than the price of a 4 set of hawks and ask for the other 2 for Christmas. Hunting 2 sticks high is a very viable setup too

Been using cut down Lone Wolf sticks. Just like the Novix/ Trophy Line. Can't go wrong with them. Don't buy China sticks, always quality issues.
Just got two Shikar sticks because of packability. First hunt with them will be Saturday.

I hunted off of hawks for several years with no problems or complaints. They weren’t the lightest or most packable, but I felt like they were worth what I paid. Recently I bought a set of 4 Beast sticks out of the classifieds on here and I absolutely love them. If a guy had the money I would go with good sticks. In my opinion the Beast sticks or EWO are the best on the market.

You said mid range and I was thinking hawks or muddys. If you know you're always gonna use sticks might as well go top of the line. If you think you might mess with them later or switch to another ascending method go mid range and save a buck.

Heliums are on CamoFire for like $90 pretty regularly. I’ve only used those and Novix Minis. I prefer the Novix minis. But the Heliums aren’t bad if you can get them for that price.

I hunted with regular Heliums for 1 season... not terrible but they are too long to pack nicely.... if I'd have started with the 4 pack of Hawk Minis maybe I'd still have them... though I also couldn't stand the suction cups... I have beast minis now and am done fiddling with my climbing system... I made some amsteel aiders for em and can get 20 ft off 3 sticks

Buy once, cry once for sticks. You won't regret investing more in something like that. Just like with a bow. You'll get what you pay for.

Either way, buy something quick! It's November 3rd already! Just get up in a tree quick. :wink:

Had helium’s and sold em. I have 4 Shikar sticks with cable aiders and love them. The bite the tree so incredibly well that they often stick even once the straps are off.

I’ve tried a variety of brands and definitely some are better than others. For the money I would go with the Skeletors. Add some aiders and you won’t regret. I’m not knocking anybody but it’s the best bang for your buck!

Last edited:
Reactions: CP3
Personally I have Skeletors and a set of Muddy Pros.

Both are good. Skeletors are excellent. I converted one of the muddy pros into a one sticking set up.

The skeletors bite hard and are a “light” option in the economy line.

I had muddy pros until i got tired of the weight and sticks dangling off my sides going up the tree. Went to a fixed mini shikar for one sticking. No problem with the muddy pros ,they worked well .

Back