• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Tree spike belt/holder

redsquirrel

Administrator
Staff member
SH Member
Feb 19, 2014
NJ
WEBSITE
saddlehunter.com
Does anyone have any suggestions on anything to use to carry tree spikes up the tree? I know that trophyline used to have a tree step belt and I wish I had picked one up before they shut down because that is exactly what I am looking for. I am looking to use it to hold 5-6 of the cranford ez screw in steps. In places where I can screw for my portable setups in I plan on using my lone wolf sticks to get up the tree and those ez screw in's for the platform.

Bigburner

Mar 4, 2014
Delaware
The small field line packs work good for all the odds and ends. You could easily fit those in that bag. I put my ratchet platform plus my range finder, field dressing stuff, headlamp, the whole nine. The bag commes w/ a strap . I had them rigged on my Aero hunter but took all the gear off of that with the exception of my doyles hoist. I just sling the bag around my shoulder and everything is right there when setting up. The bag is about the size of a bino case and I believe that is its intended use. $7 at Wally World.

joaxe

Feb 28, 2014
Willow Grove, PA
Yep...Field Line bags are pretty good quality. I use a small one on the left side of my Aero Hunter for holding my pull up rope, bow hangers and TRU Ball handheld release.

You could wrap the Cranfords in an old towel or something to prevent them from clanking together on the way up.

I might look into buying a bunch of them this year, too.

"Aero" Joe

redsquirrel

Administrator
Staff member
SH Member
Feb 19, 2014
NJ
WEBSITE
saddlehunter.com
I also have a few of the field line bags that I use for different purposes. The best use I have for them is when I am setting up a tree with screw in steps (I usually use the ameristep screw in's, and I will buy them in bulk at ****'s when they go on sale). I am able to put about 25 steps, my tree spike tool, accessory hooks, a small folding saw and pruning shears in there and I'm good to go for setting up a tree.

The reason I am looking for something similar to the belt design that trophyline had is that I only need it to hold 5 or 6 spikes. I thought it might be nice to have that strapped around my waist and slide them out as needed. It would be quiet too. I am going to look into some neoprene shotgun shell belts to see if I can find something that fits my need.

redsquirrel

Administrator
Staff member
SH Member
Feb 19, 2014
NJ
WEBSITE
saddlehunter.com
I found a shotgun shell belt at ****'s today that might work perfect for me. It can hold 25 shells, so it will easily hold my 5 or 6 spikes. I will post up a pic of it after I have a chance to see how it will work. It was only 6 bucks!

John Eberhart

Vendor Rep
Apr 1, 2014
For freelance hunting I use a 3 pocket fanny pack. The middle pocket is the largest and will hold my folding hand saw, 6 to 8 Cranford Deluxe steps (single fold steps), 3 Cranford bow holders (absolute best on the market but are expensive), and an old Game Tracker safety climbing belt (no longer made). In each of the 2 side pockets I have 7 Cranford folding steps (double fold steps). The loaded fanny is wore below my Scent Lok backpack when walking and once at the tree I take off my backpack, spin the fanny around to the front of me and unzip the 2 side pockets, put on the safety climbing belt, and start up the tree taking a step from each side as I go up. Once at the desired level I want to hunt, I zip up the side pockets and unzip the front pocket and place the Deluxe steps around the tree. If the tree is leaning I make sure to keep the steps at the top, parallel to the ground, not perpendicular to the tree as I would in a straight trunked tree. Once finished with the steps I put in the bowholders (1 will support the 2 packs while hunting) and hang my bow rope to the one with the least amount of invasive branches for pulling my bow up. I then go down, drape my backpack over one shoulder, tie my bow to the rope, and head back up to hunt.

There are a lot of companies that make these types of fanny packs and Allen and Fieldline are 2 of them.

redsquirrel

Administrator
Staff member
SH Member
Feb 19, 2014
NJ
WEBSITE
saddlehunter.com
Thanks for the detailed description John.

It sounds like you are putting both your packs on 1 bow holder. What are you using the 3rd bow holder for? Backup?

Also do you have a specific scentlok backpack that you would recommend?

c h r i s

Mar 31, 2014
John Eberhart said:
For freelance hunting I use a 3 pocket fanny pack. The middle pocket is the largest and will hold my folding hand saw, 6 to 8 Cranford Deluxe steps (single fold steps), 3 Cranford bow holders (absolute best on the market but are expensive), and an old Game Tracker safety climbing belt (no longer made). In each of the 2 side pockets I have 7 Cranford folding steps (double fold steps). The loaded fanny is wore below my Scent Lok backpack when walking and once at the tree I take off my backpack, spin the fanny around to the front of me and unzip the 2 side pockets, put on the safety climbing belt, and start up the tree taking a step from each side as I go up. Once at the desired level I want to hunt, I zip up the side pockets and unzip the front pocket and place the Deluxe steps around the tree. If the tree is leaning I make sure to keep the steps at the top, parallel to the ground, not perpendicular to the tree as I would in a straight trunked tree. Once finished with the steps I put in the bowholders (1 will support the 2 packs while hunting) and hang my bow rope to the one with the least amount of invasive branches for pulling my bow up. I then go down, drape my backpack over one shoulder, tie my bow to the rope, and head back up to hunt.

There are a lot of companies that make these types of fanny packs and Allen and Fieldline are 2 of them.

John, what do you use for climbing and more importantly for a platform when you're you're on public ground that prohibits screw ins?

John Eberhart

Vendor Rep
Apr 1, 2014
It is rare that I freelance hunt so typically the bowholder use for packs is only holding my backpack. If I am freelance hunting it will also hold my freelance pack.

The 3rd bowholder is put on the opposite side of the tree. So I have one 90 degrees to my left side (I'm right handed) and that's the one my bow hangs on while hunting. The one on the opposite side of the tree is for when I see that I am going to have to swing to my left. I first slowly take my bow off its hook and reach around and hang it on the 3rd holder on the opposite side of the tree. This allows me to move one step each to my left and not have to hold onto my bow during the move or once in position. I'm now in position for the upcoming opportunity and my bow is hanging the same as it was in my original position. If I need it I pick it up. If the opportunity doesn't happen, I move back to my original position and reach around and get my bow and put it back on its original hanger. Another thing this does is allow me to use both hands when moving positions because I'm not holding onto my bow.

On public ground I use Cranford strap on steps for ascending and descending. At the top I have a wide OD green ratchet strap loaded with 5 Ameristep (don't make anymore) strap on steps. I ratchet down and just before it gets tight, I slide the steps exactly where I want them, then tighten it down tight.

redsquirrel

Administrator
Staff member
SH Member
Feb 19, 2014
NJ
WEBSITE
saddlehunter.com
John, I much prefer to have all my trees set up in advance as well. I have not found a freelance system that I am completely happy with, but I'm always working on it to have that option in my back pocket if needed.

Now that you describe the 3rd bowholder I completely understand. I do the exact same thing, except I just use the small coated accessory hooks to hold my bow. When I buy them in bulk I get them for about 50 cents a piece and I will set them permanently on the tree with my spikes. On some trees I may face a different direction for a morning vs evening sit so I will have them set up specific for that as well.

I am not a fan of a ratchet strap because of the noise. Dennis and I were talking about overcenter buckles and I ordered a few to fool around with, http://www.saddlehunter.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=40&p=222&hilit=overcenter#p222. I think this one might work great for us, http://boxertiedown.com/wholesale/-c-3_19/2-x-1980-lbs-over-center-buckle-p-96 . What do you think?

John Eberhart

Vendor Rep
Apr 1, 2014
The ratchet is definitely noisy if I were to just tighten it as normal, but I tighten it very sloooooooowly. Used to use a belt with a buckle but it just wouldn't tighten enough for my liking.

I'm pretty fortunate to be on a couple pro staffs and get my bow holders for free from both Cranford and HME. Cranford's are definitely the best in the industry and retail on them is about $3 ea., but HME's are second and screw in pretty easy.

redsquirrel

Administrator
Staff member
SH Member
Feb 19, 2014
NJ
WEBSITE
saddlehunter.com
Just looking at the cranford website. I didn't realize cranford made a small bow holder. John, I'm assuming you are using these http://www.ezyclimb.com/images/access.BowHold2.jpg rather than the articulating arm bow holder?

For anyone else interested these gorilla gear hooks are what I use for my bow. 50 for $29. They are perfect for holding a bow and I can set a couple up in all of my permanent trees and not worry about the price. They are not really strong enough to hold a pack if you have a decent load in it so I just use a regular tree step to hold that.
http://www.bowhunterssuperstore.com/gorilla-gear-hooks-50pk-p-13318.html

redsquirrel

Administrator
Staff member
SH Member
Feb 19, 2014
NJ
WEBSITE
saddlehunter.com
i found a picture of the tree step belt holder I was originally thinking of. I can't find one hanging around on the web anymore. If anyone sees one let me know.

Attachments

• Trophyline Usa Step Belt Holder.jpg
    Trophyline Usa Step Belt Holder.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 309