• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Tree spurs or Pole spurs?

Need info. Tree or pole spurs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Each manufacturer gaff design is different. There’s no one size fits all. One manufacturer pole spurs might be similar to another’s tree spurs and vice versa. It’s really in the shape and design of the spurs more than the size. Generally pole spurs work better on hardwood trees with thin bark, like maple. And tree spurs work better on softwoods or hardwood with thick bark. You’d be surprised how different it feels when climbing with spurs on different species of trees.

Each manufacturer gaff design is different. There’s no one size fits all. One manufacturer pole spurs might be similar to another’s tree spurs and vice versa. It’s really in the shape and design of the spurs more than the size. Generally pole spurs work better on hardwood trees with thin bark, like maple. And tree spurs work better on softwoods or hardwood with thick bark. You’d be surprised how different it feels when climbing with spurs on different species of trees.

I have been practicing on an old BRADFORD Pear. With my weight the pole spurs dig right in.

I have been practicing on an old BRADFORD Pear. With my weight the pole spurs dig right in.
I started out in Klein’s tree spurs and I really liked them until I started climbing smaller maple. I had a real bad high heel affect, so I switched to a pair of buckingham pole spikes and they worked really well on the maples. Unfortunately I’ve had bad experience with them on some larger red oak I had a gaff out at 20ft in the morning darkness, so I switched back to the Klein’s and learn to deal with my foot being farther from the tree. You bring up a good point with weight probably will help set pole gaffs as I notice I had to kick them into the tree more, which result to unnecessary noise.

I have climbed a few pines with my Buckingham pole spurs. I just take my time and they seat themselves. Still nervous using them, as they say it is not the arrow but the Indian. . Maybe because I am older. Lol. Yet my brother had a retired arborist, 70 years young take some trees down for him last week. He said this guy mad it look so easy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I use pole gaffs, and usually don't have a problem. But in some oaks and bigger cotton woods, they don't reach far enough to get through the cracks in the bark and all the way to the meat of the wood. I just have to climb more carefully and slower on those trees.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Use tree gaffs guys.Dont pay any mind to how far your feet are from the tree.The thing to watch is gaff angle.Thats what keeps you on the tree not how deep you are kicked in.If you don’t keep the proper gaff angle You will cut out.Getting your feet to narrow will make you strike across the face of the tree and not to the heart.Getting your knees to close to the tree will angle your gaffs down and sooner or later your ass will follow.

Back