• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Tree tether

As in a sling

Can I get some pics of tree rope tethers, like the connection to the tree. I use a HSS tree rope for my harness in my stands, and it looks like basically the same idea when hanging in a saddle but if you were to swing in the direction of the loop with the line you're attached to, will it remain tight ? Thanks !

I don't know how to post videos here but I made my own. There is a video on YouTube of a guy with a saddle and he shows the style he made, he also has a video out about adding tool belt suspenders to his saddle. I used climbing rope from REI, cost me 20 bucks or so I think to make.

Same idea, yes it will remain tight (with rope). Bump this starting on friday and I'll take a pic in a tree. I'm in the process of making some videos for common topics like this so I'll put a video together at some point also.

Start with about 14’ of 11mm static rope or Arborist rope.

Figure 8 on a bight with a stopper knot on the top end. Overhand on a bight on the tail end.

‘Top end’ of the rope goes around the tree. Feed the tail end of the rope through the loop at the top end and cinch it on the tree.

Prusik or Blake’s Hitch on the line attaches to saddle. Overhand knot loop on the tail end backup clips to the harness

Same concept as already shown. I'm running 2 prusik knots with my sit&drag/rc harness combo. I'm a gluten for punishment...so I spliced both ends. Knots are easier. Mine is around 9 or 10 ft long.
2af652f64d699f2399d7dbbc5d645b88.jpg

Is 12mm rope a good size for a tether? Also, can a 10mm be tied in a prusik onto a 12mm rope ?
If you already have 12mm, it isn't wrong. Bigger than you need it to be and a 10mm prusik will be bulky but will work.

Lots of people using 9mm static line for tethers with presewn prusiks. I use 11mm because it works well with a Ropeman 1.

NewTribe uses 11mm.

I ordered some 8mm prusik loops. Thanks for all the infor guys. Good luck this weekend, or whenever your respective seasons start/ started.

Back