• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Turkey vest re-purpose for a hunting pack

boyne bowhunter

Staff member
SH Member
It finally quit raining here long enough to put together a short video of how I use my turkey vest for carrying my gear in for a saddle hunt. I've mentioned this a few time here on the forum but I thought I'd put toegther a quick video of how and why it works for me.

The biggest plus is that keeps my gear organized and accessible. If you notice I can access everything in the pack without needing to remove the pack if I don't want to. Everything metal is stowed so there's little chance of any rattles off of brush and it having weight in the front and back helps level out the load I'm carrying. Another small plus is that it provides built in pockets to keep my hands warm on those cold morning walks. In the tree it hangs right in front of me and is out of the way for any shot opportunities while still readily accessible.

Great video I used a tenzig 18 turkey pack with my kestrel and mantis last year after seeing some of your videos.
It works well and it’s cheap
I bought mine on amazon.ca for $80. It was on sale. Better deal than a $500 cdn pack such as a mystery ranch pop up
If you have limited funds it is great
I find the weight is balanced front to back nicely and no frame is necessary
I bought a hunting vest to try with my Jx3 for this year to do something similar.
Thanks for all the additional detail

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
Great video, amazing how much you are carrying! But you know my favorite part of this video!! Thanks as always Joe, btw your Michigan State HT shirt shipped today, tracking should be in your email

I used mine a few times to saddle hunt last fall as well. I would love to see a company create an all new saddle pack using a turkey vest as the initial template.

John H.

The wheels are spinning....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Primos Bowhunting vest works just as good hunting from a saddle as it did hunting from a hang on stand. I never make a hunt without it.

I really enjoyed saddle hunting out if my turkey vest last year. It’s a really old minimalist design.

So what are you fellas doing about your hunter orange during gun season? We have a 3 month gun season in GA and are required to have 500sq of orange. I don’t think a turkey vest would work to well. I don’t think most Upland vests would meet that either.

So what are you fellas doing about your hunter orange during gun season? We have a 3 month gun season in GA and are required to have 500sq of orange. I don’t think a turkey vest would work to well. I don’t think most Upland vests would meet that either.

I wear safety sleeve and hat....they super thin lightweight material like a buff neck gaiter.

Screenshot_20221204-205703~2.png

Last edited:

I wore an orange vest or jacket over it, depending on how cold it was that day. I wear an orange hoodie underneath.

Back