• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Turkey vest recommendations

GCTerpfan

Staff member
SH Member
I’m in the market for a new turkey vest. My old vest has seen its last season. Specifically looking for something slim and not real bulky but with a good seat cushion. I don’t need a ton of pockets but a hydration bladder pouch would be a plus.

The K&H run and gun 200 looks interesting. What do you guys use or recommend?

Last edited:
Running and gunning or archery in a blind?

For running and gunning a good chest rig like an Kifaru Steelhead and a seat works well and is super lightweight. To carry the bird out safely on public get a blaze turkey tote bag that folds down to nothing. I got mine years ago from HS. It also has a web strap to sling it over your shoulder. The only deficit in most of these lightweight setups is the box call pocket. I don’t use one much anymore but I always try to take one as I’ve had birds be dumb quiet to everything but a decent sounding box call. You want a holster or something for it to protect it. I am intrigued, by Sitka’s new Turkey Tool Belt. It has a very unique box call holder and I would say is very innovative. Kind of pricey though.

For archery using a blind hunting I use a chest rig and a Waldrop pac seat and strap my blind and decoys to it.

Nomad has a decent vest too but I’ve not used it. It’s their lesser cost one I’ll post a link to it. https://nomadoutdoor.com/collection...convertible-turkey-vest-mossy-oak-shadow-leaf

Last edited:
I have the K&H RnG 200 and I love it. I just it for my saddle/bowhunting and it holds everything that I need. The material is quiet, fits well, is adjustable, the seat is nice as well. I have purchased a couple other vests to try, but keep coming back to that K&H.

I have this one still new in the box, if you want to give it a try...

I have the K&H RnG 200 and I love it. I just it for my saddle/bowhunting and it holds everything that I need. The material is quiet, fits well, is adjustable, the seat is nice as well. I have purchased a couple other vests to try, but keep coming back to that K&H.

I have this one still new in the box, if you want to give it a try...

How do you like the seat on the RnG 200? It looks like it just flips up and down, you don’t need to unbuckle anything, correct?

Well, Ik you said vest but just another option is the cabelas speed seat. Doesn’t have a hydration option though. I really like it and a small sling pack. Less bulk, not as hot and or usually not as heavy.

The Alps super Elite 4.0 is about the perfect vest if I switched to a vest. I had one but got it in the wrong size and it was very nice

How do you like the seat on the RnG 200? It looks like it just flips up and down, you don’t need to unbuckle anything, correct?

Correct, it just flips up and stays put when walking. The seat is a little firm. It has 2 levels of foam padding, but the soft layer is really soft and the firm layer is, well, firm.

I don't necessarily have a vest recommendation, but I do have a solid solution for the BEST seat hack that makes it easy to sit still fro longer periods of time.

I use an 8" wheelbarrow inner tube. I inflated it to where it's 'floppy' so there are hardly any real pressure points and the donut shape keeps your tailbone off anything hard.

I wrap them in a camo t-shirt and cable tie them to my fixed position stands as well as the stock seat sold with every turkey hunting vest I've ever bought. You can see from the picture that I try to put the stock seat in storage and retro my wheelbarrow inner tube contraption to the vest, but mostly I've just been putting my customized seat in the satchel described and pictured below.

Also for turkey hunting, I carry a shoulder satchel of sorts ( for lack of a better word at the moment ) and put 'stuff' in it.
( This thread gave me the idea to contact Custom Gear Modifications and see if they'll make another satchel for me... and you )
The stuff I put in the satchel when I'm Turkey hunting is my wheelbarrow tube seat, two decoys, and a turkey wing.
I've also been known to cook up hot dogs the night before and throw them in there for the day's hunt.

Attachments

• seat.png
    seat.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 29
  • satchel.png
    satchel.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 28
The Sitka vest has been my favorite.

Cabela’s speed seat with a separate hydration pack works great. Has a seat comparable to the K&H RNG and the hydration pack serves as back padding.

The K&H is a good design, but the durability after a season’s use was disappointing. Stitching was coming loose and the seat needed patching on the bottom side.

Last couple of seasons I’ve sat on an inner tube seat using Glenda Green’s seat cover. More comfy than any vest seat.

Cabela’s speed seat with a separate hydration pack works great. Has a seat comparable to the K&H RNG and the hydration pack serves as back padding.

The K&H is a good design, but the durability after a season’s use was disappointing. Stitching was coming loose and the seat needed patching on the bottom side.

Last couple of seasons I’ve sat on an inner tube seat using Glenda Green’s seat cover. More comfy than any vest seat.
I have a RNG 300 and love it. But a pull tab on the pot call holder did pull off. It’s still super snug so it’s no worry. Other than that, I have no complaints. The 300 is pretty hard to find, but I’ve tried the 200 and it was good too. That being said my next purchase will be the Sitka vest.

Since I've read your reply here I have been trying to find where I can buy her covers.

I'm not finding anything.

Can you help? Is she still in business?

I like the way the 200 is set up and I can get it to fit me well. I’m a small framed individual and a lot of turkey vests are floppy on me. Durability is the only downside. My seat had a couple holes in it after the first or second season of use for sure and I’ve seen some stitching seem eh, but still holding so far I believe? I’ll be digging it out here soon! I can’t wait to chase some turkeys.

Back