• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

"Turn crunch time into punch time"

redsquirrel

Administrator
Staff member
SH Member
John- As usual thanks for another great article in Deer and Deer Hunting. I have been disappointed with some of the articles in the magazine lately, but if you have one in the issue it is always the first that I turn to.

I wanted to add something that came to my mind when you used the term "Auto Pilot". There is no better practice than shooting deer, any deer. When I got out of grad school and started hunting a lot again, I wounded 2 bucks in as many years that I did not recover. I was the definition of buck fever when I had a bow in my hand. Sure, I had shot a bunch of deer with my muzzleloader and shotgun, but at that point I had probably only shot (correction, killed) 3 deer with my bow. When a buck came into my sights, I would react and shoot, but if you asked me 5 minutes later what happened, everything was a blur. Ever since then, on top of everything else that you discussed in the article, I have been shooting 3-4 deer a year with my bow. This has made a huge impact on my proficiency during crunch time. Not only do I have the confidence that when I go into auto-pilot the arrow is going to go where I aim it, but as simple and funny as this sounds, I now can remember every detail about my shot from the release to its impact on the deer. That memory comes up big when it comes to making the recovery!

I know that you know all of this but hopefully this can help someone who has a similar problem to me!

Back