• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

ULTIMATE ONE STICK LENGTH ?

Daren Russell

SH Member
I’m getting ready to purchase ewo one stick and not sure if I wanna go 15 or 18 inch,I know it kinda personal preference but wanted some feedback. I’m going to just have double step on top and run with small platform once to hunting height also was going to get a 3 step ultiaider so I can play around with step distance I’m 6 ‘ 2”. 250lbs decent shape but not a spring chicken lol. Suggestion welcomed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I asked this question a while ago. I went 15 on stick and steps. Wouldn't want the over all length any longer for me. 5-11" and 260.
Step is just right when I get a good set moving up. If anything I would like to try a slightly longer stick and see if it's easier to move from the bottom of the stick to the top. The UP can interfere with my shins if I am not careful.

I went 15" myself. 6'4" and around 200 here. I ran a Shikar Mini one stick this year and didn't like the short length of the stick. I know lots of guys swear by the 12", but I liked my Novix mini steps, so I went closer to their length. I'll let you know what I think of it when it gets here! :)

I have an Ultimaider on my Shikar mini and really like it. I would definitely recommend grabbing an Ultimaider Pack & Play: https://doublesteps.com/product/ultimaider-roll-up-pouch/

15". packability was one of the main reasons for me one-sticking, so I wanted to keep a small profile if I strap it to the pack for a long walk. It's long enough to feel nice and secure and 15 inches feels easy enough to step up while wearing heavy winter clothes. it gets me enough height with aider per revolution and the utimaider pack&play pouch keeps things tidy

Thanks guys, I got everything in cart including pack and play lol just going back and forth on the length.Was thinking get the 18 and I could always cut some off I guess

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guess I’m the odd man out, I went 18”. The greater distance between standoffs will provide more sturdy purchase on the tree and if it’s too long I can always cut it down. Can’t add extra if I decide it’s too short. 6’1” over here.

Guess I’m the odd man out, I went 18”. The greater distance between standoffs will provide more sturdy purchase on the tree and if it’s too long I can always cut it down. Can’t add extra if I decide it’s too short. 6’1” over here.
True, I'm 5'10" for reference

I went with a 12" and originally had a 2 step 20" aider but swapped it out for a 3 step 15" aider and its much better. The stick tube is cheap enough, just order the tube in a couple of different lengths to try.

18” is a bit more stable & it’s still short enough to be packable….. the shorter the stick gets & the taller you are it can get some weird geometry with side pressure being my biggest concern. Think about the distance between the top of the stick & the cam, then the distance to the bottom standoffs. The longer sticks are significantly more more stable

So I started off with an 18 and ended up at 12 with a slanted monarch on top. I kinda wish I kept it at 15 it was Deffinately sturdier on every tree all around now I just have to be a little more selective of trees or deal with it pulling off a touch I’m 5’-11” 210lbs and not of the athletic build lol

Yeah I’m 5’7 and roll with 15in, so I’d vote 18in for you.

I have an Eberlestock X2 and an 18in would pack great with that.

I went 12” on my EWO with UP and as soon as season is done I’ll be swapping to 18” ( 6’3 240 ). In the early season I didn’t notice the awkwardness of the short stick until I started wearing my alpha burlys , I had been wearing just my regular Crispi Idaho’s, that’s when the whole shin knocking and very close step got me feeling like I needed some more length.

I built mine from a tube I already had on hand. 16" for me with 3 step 15" spacing aider. Fits me really well.

Back