• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

very new to this

cheecho67

SH Member
Hi I am 57 and this way of hunting looks very interesting butt haven't been up a tree in a long time. I was looking to try one sticking but man these one sticks are pricey. is there a cheaper one stick available? maybe I haven't seen it online yet but have been seaching. Is there a setup where I can modify to make safe ?? I have some ideas but like some other opinions.

I have one stick climbed for years now (61 year old fat guy :tearsofjoy:) on a single short Hawk Helium modified with a cam cleat, 6mm accessory cord and a one step aider attached. It works well for me.

I will say though that I only climb with it and use a platform (Trophyline EDP) for foot comfort once up in the tree so I'm not standing on the narrow step all hunt. I do leave the stick on the opposite side of the tree to give me the option of stepping to it if I need to walk around the tree for a weak side shot during the hunt.

1710103267042.png

I have seen the cam cleats and everyone uses 3/16 fully buried Amsteel. I have seen that set up someone using the hawk helium. I even seen a platform that goes on top of the sticks but you have to remove the top steps

So that 6mm not to stressful for the cleat? Where is a good wto get the cord? Just might go that route

Sorry for being rude @cheecho67 and forgetting to say it, but welcome to the site from northern Michigan!

One thing to look for is that there are likely to be some local saddle hunter get togethers coming up here in the spring/summer. These are great opportunities to see how guys are getting things done and to try some equipment (sticks, saddles, platforms, etc.) firsthand. Not sure where you are from but meetups are often setup through this sub-forum here.

Last edited:
So that 6mm not to stressful for the cleat? Where is a good wto get the cord? Just might go that route
I personally like the 6mm Samson accessory cord over the amsteel for this application as I think it is a bit more abrasion resistant to the pinch of the cleat. I have well over 400 climbs on my stick on the original cord I put on it. Eastern Woods Outdoors carries the 6mm Samson cord in camo for $0.40 per ft. You'll need an extra 2-3 ft from your anticipated usable length for knots.

now does everyone just bow hunt saddle hunting? I just bought a crossbow and most you tube videoes I see them mentioning bows only a few about crossbows.

Welcome from Northern Virginia.
Hit up the diy section for one sticking builds
A quality premade one stick will be costly but consider the mechanics of one sticking. You’re asking that single stick to do quite a lot.
There are some of us that hunt with a crossbow as well as firearm, myself included. Hit up the crossbow section:

Welcome from WNY! I’m right in there almost the same age as you Sir.

Welcome to the forum @cheecho67
If your gonna rappel down make sure you practice plenty at ground level first.
what do you use to repel? I like the idea of the mad rock I heard to back it up above it, but most videos I have seen they don't. I might just use a figure 8 to repel and if I do get the madrock I am still getting the figure 8 just in case. I am very new haven't been up a tree in years been spoiled hunting a box but it is going to be my last year in the box since land owner is selling his farmland. That said I am starting to open up my options. I know I need to practice alot to do anything like this. But there are so many options to get up a tree. the 2tc system is a good option to.

2 TC and a ring of steps might be a good method to start with. You can probably pick up all the gear that you need on the classifieds here pretty cheaply or even make up your own kit. Calling @NMSbowhunter, @NMSbowhunter, please respond. lol. Oh, and welcome to the forum from Coastal Maine!

Welcome from western Massachusetts!

I hunt from the saddle with a trad bow, compound, shotgun ad muzzleloader. There’s so many ways to effectively hunt with a saddle. May the force be with you!

Hi I am 57 and this way of hunting looks very interesting butt haven't been up a tree in a long time. I was looking to try one sticking but man these one sticks are pricey. is there a cheaper one stick available? maybe I haven't seen it online yet but have been seaching. Is there a setup where I can modify to make safe ?? I have some ideas but like some other opinions.
Welcome from Missouri! I think you’ll find a lot of us are in the age group, so ask away and good luck!

what do you use to repel? I like the idea of the mad rock I heard to back it up above it, but most videos I have seen they don't. I might just use a figure 8 to repel and if I do get the madrock I am still getting the figure 8 just in case. I am very new haven't been up a tree in years been spoiled hunting a box but it is going to be my last year in the box since land owner is selling his farmland. That said I am starting to open up my options. I know I need to practice alot to do anything like this. But there are so many options to get up a tree. the 2tc system is a good option to.
Both are good options and work well. Safeguard, figure 8 with a back up, gri-gri, ATC, figure 9, or some guys use a cabiner with a Munter Hitch. There is more options out there. Safeguard or similar device is the most strait forward to use. Just do some research on them, get familiar with them, and practice on the ground just sitting back and letting your self down. If your still not sure seek out expert help from a certified climber.

Just note on the mechanical devices there is two styles. Ones that spring back automatically and grab (safeguard *black) and others that need to be loaded to grab. (Lifeguard *red). Gri-gri has two options as well. Both can work, but operate a little different. Just make sure the rope your using is in spec with the device. They should have a size range on them.

Both are good options and work well. Safeguard, figure 8 with a back up, gri-gri, ATC, figure 9, or some guys use a cabiner with a Munter Hitch. There is more options out there. Safeguard or similar device is the most strait forward to use. Just do some research on them, get familiar with them, and practice on the ground just sitting back and letting your self down. If your still not sure seek out expert help from a certified climber.

Just note on the mechanical devices there is two styles. Ones that spring back automatically and grab (safeguard *black) and others that need to be loaded to grab. (Lifeguard *red). Gri-gri has two options as well. Both can work, but operate a little different. Just make sure the rope your using is in spec with the device. They should have a size range on them.
Yes I am aware to stay away from the lifeguard I seen a lot about safe guards and will go with that if I go that route. Seen a lot of vids on Jen you tube very interesting

now does everyone just bow hunt saddle hunting? I just bought a crossbow and most you tube videoes I see them mentioning bows only a few about crossbows.

Welcome from Texas!
I've hunted from my saddle using a bow, crossbow, and rifle. I've even used it for photography to get pictures of animals out in the wild. Use it however you want!

There's a ton of different options out there, as MattMan81 mentioned. There's a bunch more mechanical devices too (F4, Trango Vergo, etc). Unfortunately you won't find out what you like or don't like without trying them yourself. A good recommendation by boyne bowhunter is to find a meetup near where you live and go there. You should find a bunch of different things there that people will let you try, to fit just about any budget. You should probably consider that as well. If you have a $150 total budget, a figure-8 or munter with some prusiks with a rappel rope and a DIY stick will probably be what you start with and possibly add/change more later. Bigger budget will let you get into some mechanical ascenders (Madrock et al) or a fancy one-stick.
As far as backing up devices and why you don't see some people on videos using them - it's all risk assessment and management. How much risk are you willing to accept - and that's only a question you can answer for yourself. Do your research on any methods you choose, and see what failure areas each component has. In my opinion it's a lot easier to free-fall down using a figure-8 (traditionally tied, not locked) than a Madrock so I never understood why some will back up a Madrock but not a figure-8. But I could corner-case scenario any choice and risks until we die of old age :)

Welcome from Texas!
I've hunted from my saddle using a bow, crossbow, and rifle. I've even used it for photography to get pictures of animals out in the wild. Use it however you want!

There's a ton of different options out there, as MattMan81 mentioned. There's a bunch more mechanical devices too (F4, Trango Vergo, etc). Unfortunately you won't find out what you like or don't like without trying them yourself. A good recommendation by boyne bowhunter is to find a meetup near where you live and go there. You should find a bunch of different things there that people will let you try, to fit just about any budget. You should probably consider that as well. If you have a $150 total budget, a figure-8 or munter with some prusiks with a rappel rope and a DIY stick will probably be what you start with and possibly add/change more later. Bigger budget will let you get into some mechanical ascenders (Madrock et al) or a fancy one-stick.
As far as backing up devices and why you don't see some people on videos using them - it's all risk assessment and management. How much risk are you willing to accept - and that's only a question you can answer for yourself. Do your research on any methods you choose, and see what failure areas each component has. In my opinion it's a lot easier to free-fall down using a figure-8 (traditionally tied, not locked) than a Madrock so I never understood why some will back up a Madrock but not a figure-8. But I could corner-case scenario any choice and risks until we die of old age :)
I plan on going to the meet up in may if I read right

Back