• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Video quality degrades once posted to You Tube?

SouthMsBowhunter

Ok, guys I have made some pretty basic videos of Traditional 3-D archery shoots using my iPhone, as it is all I have at the moment.

While I know the phone is not a quality device for videoing the videos have turn out ok for me now at this point.

My question is how do you retain the quality of the videos once posted on You Tube?

At home on the Mac the quality looks good but once posted it is always degraded? What am i doing wrong? Is this a fact of life or a wrong setting's issue?

It is a settings issue. I haven't been posting on youtube lately so I can't help you right now, but I know it's a settings issue.

First off, Youtube will always compress your video when you upload. It needs to stream fast, and use as little bandwidth as possible, while still keeping as much video quality as possible. Whatever algorithm they use seems to do a good job, but you will notice a little quality loss if you look close.

Now if there is a very noticeable difference between your raw video that you uploaded, and the uploaded version on YouTube, then your settings on the YouTube player may be set to a low quality. This could be manually set or automatic. Automatic quality settings go off your internet connection speed. If your internet connection is slow and the video player is set to auto, it will play at a lower resolution, such as 240p, 320p, or 480p, that way it will buffer fast enough to watch the video without lag. If you have fast internet, it should buffer faster so the quality will bump up to 720 or 1080 HD. iPhone records at 1080 HD, so the issue isn't with your phone. If you use a video editor, make sure you export the final video at high quality so you don't lose your quality there. Higher quality means larger file size, and compression will reduce the file size while trying to make the video appear to maintain good quality. Too much compression will overall reduce the quality of your video.

Hope that makes some sense

I set the settings on highest quality settings when uploading to You tube and my setting there are set to 1080 HD. Was searching You Tube for an answer and one video spoke about needing to convert to MP4 before loading to maintain the quality. But I don't at this moment fully understand how to do this?

Ok, guys I have made some pretty basic videos of Traditional 3-D archery shoots using my iPhone, as it is all I have at the moment.

While I know the phone is not a quality device for videoing the videos have turn out ok for me now at this point.

My question is how do you retain the quality of the videos once posted on You Tube?

At home on the Mac the quality looks good but once posted it is always degraded? What am i doing wrong? Is this a fact of life or a wrong setting's issue?

I use a sony handy can and my cellphone( iphone 8). And they both work great. The iphone seems to be better quality than my camera. I use a beast camera arm when hunting and a little foldable tripod called the claw which comes with a base for video cam and a phone. I use that for scouting or outings anywhere ( on the ground outings)
Large Flexible Phone Tripod Durable Camera Stand with Bluetooth Remote Shutter for IOS iPhone plus+ Adjustable & Bendable Octopus Legs with Universal Attachment Mount to Stabilize Smartphone GoPro DSL https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0749GXFZT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_wLfEAbFZ3RMFA

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4_gcun8_kLGQWJMDxQtFpQ

Back