• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Webbing foot loop climbing method

Treehopper2

SH Member
Well I’m sure this idea has been thought of and used before but I can’t find any information on it.
I’m curious about others experience with it.
It is very simple to make and doesn’t cost much if it doesn’t work out.
b7845878d0f9c729ea885fb698246c51.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thought. Can you make it so there is a foot loop for each side of the tree? One low, one high. Would be like screw in steps. Not sure how it would function or if it would. Could be some challenge in getting the loops positioned correctly??

Interesting. How many would you need to make 20'. How much would they weigh. How could you store them and deploy. My concern would be movement from the wind.
What if you made it a two step?
Not sure on how many to reach 20’ yet probably 10 or so.
Weight it’s just 10’ of webbing so not heavy at all.
I would put them in a dump pouch to carry them and deploy.
For moving in the wind I guess that’s like any webbing aider.

Thought. Can you make it so there is a foot loop for each side of the tree? One low, one high. Would be like screw in steps. Not sure how it would function or if it would. Could be some challenge in getting the loops positioned correctly??
I plan to use them just like steps staggered on each side of the tree as you go up.
Probably takes 10 seconds or less to install each one but I haven’t timed that yet but it is quick.

I think you might be carrying a lot of material. Consider that each loop itself would need 22" of webbing around the foot, then another 4ft to have some tree diameter. So around 58ft of webbing for 10 of them.

Then there's having to use the ball of your foot to climb

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

I just started working with them so I don’t know much yet but I tested one after work it may be something idk yet.
I’ll make up more and do some testing.
I think I would rappell back down to avoid looking for foot loops in the dark.
Not sure on the 1” webbing that may need to be 2” for comfort.

I had this thought but with the knaider/swaider and using 7/64th continuous loops or daisy chains. but decided not to when I switched to bolt climbing. I may try it out next year.

I think you might be carrying a lot of material. Consider that each loop itself would need 22" of webbing around the foot, then another 4ft to have some tree diameter. So around 58ft of webbing for 10 of them.

Then there's having to use the ball of your foot to climb

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
Yeah it may be too much webbing to make it worth messing with but I’m going to attempt it to find out.
I had on my work boots today when I tried it out and placed the webbing in the arch of my foot it felt ok with the inside of my foot to the tree but not sure how a rubber hunting boot would feel.
Hey I’ve got plenty of webbing it’s worth a try lol

I love the idea! It's going to do well once you work out some of the kinks. Something to keep in mind is that the height of the loop you put your foot into (we'll call it a sling) will have a direct relationship with the diameter of the tree you're trying to climb unless you make the slings adjustable.

I love the idea! It's going to do well once you work out some of the kinks. Something to keep in mind is that the height of the loop you put your foot into (we'll call it a sling) will have a direct relationship with the diameter of the tree you're trying to climb unless you make the slings adjustable.
Yeah I was going to have to raise or lower depending on tree diameter I didn’t want to make it adjustable wanted it to be simple without metal.
For really small trees you can double wrap it but on large trees you are limited.
Today I tried a bunch of size trees from softball to basketball size and it worked but anything real big requires more webbing so it’s not a perfect system I guess it depends on what your area has.

Yeah I was going to have to raise or lower depending on tree diameter I didn’t want to make it adjustable wanted it to be simple without metal.
For really small trees you can double wrap it but on large trees you are limited.
Today I tried a bunch of size trees from softball to basketball size and it worked but anything real big requires more webbing so it’s not a perfect system I guess it depends on what your area has.
That's great man! Good thinking double wrapping small trees.

That’s an interesting concept.

Instead of WE stepps or Bullman steps, use webbing or even girth hitched amsteel.

Would definitely need to rappel down but would be far lighter, smaller and quicker.

2d4071d1681c9cee435672881c50633d.jpg

Made up a few more tonight with a total of 8 this should get me to 15’ which is plenty for me.
Should easily go in a pouch on my saddle.
All of them together don’t weigh much at all.

I'd love to see this done out of Amsteel continuous loops. Bet 8 of them wouldn't weigh much of anything.

Back