• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Well has The anticipation really started for most?

Robert loper

SH Member
Well my peoples This is the time of year I start to get the bug a bit because I know its only a few months away.
In only A Few days it will already be June 1st, and In Just A few weeks Usually mid to late June Is when I will take a few days off and start to hang most of my cameras to soak and collect Data for the year.
(Please note that Yes, I am going into my 3rd season with I think 12 -25 dollar and under Tascos and they are working just as good as some of the top brands on the market) Here is a link to my videos on them. The first link is a Mid season Pull which I had to do early because of other obligations.
( Mid season Tasco review ) Here is my Post season video review ( End of season Tasco review )
Check them out if you want, My content Is raw and real like most of us with no sugar coating.

Most of my cameras will not be touched until mid November where intrusion will or shouldn't be a big thing to Rutting bucks.
Even then I try to get in and get out also I always try to enter areas around Mid day to keep intrusion consequences down.
I do hang some on easy access trails where I do get a lot of human activity but, I also get buck pics so it is almost a double learning thing.
This tells me when people are scouting, Hunting, or just doing whatever but, they are there which I know the deer know.
Next I can see how the bucks are reacting to that pressure. Are they skirting the area?, are they coming through at night?, or are they void of that area totally?
All will tell a story and help plan your attack or strategy for the year. This has really worked for me the last 5 or so years and it keeps me busy and in the woods almost year round.
I describe this trail cam tactic only because this has really helped me sky rocket my sightings or even opportunities with very limited time to scout, hunt ,or just get out. This helps a ton for the hunters who have minimal time to hunt or scout.

Mid July is when I start to take evening rides grabbing a cup of coffee while I glass and see what is going on with the deer in my areas.
Checking fields a few hours before dark can definitely tell you what the bucks are doing now.
With that said I want People to realize one thing.
My season is open September first in one state and then Late September to early October in another state.
Now please, please, please, people with limited time. 3 weeks is a huge difference in where, when, and what the deer are doing or where they are hanging out during legal shooting light. Also where they are sleeping and How they are travelling to the main food source
I really think a lot of people DO NOT realize this huge pattern change from late august compared to late September.
Most of us who work full time, Have responsibilities, And or Families to tend to compared to the time that most so called "experts have to get out and scout and plan.
Food sources are dropping away by the day but, others are popping up so the deer know this and adjust to use the areas that these seasonal foods are in.
Also cover for the deer is dwindling away by the day so they will be adjusting the bedding probably by the week.
To give an example of changing food sources would be in my areas corn, beans, or even milo is being farmed from September to dam near Halloween, and mid to late September the oaks are dropping acorns like rain drops falling.
the trick We need to learn and figure out is what foods the deer prefer and when they prefer it.
Seasonal timing is really big in the learning process on progressing in the learning curve. We also need to learn and pattern other hunters, where they hunt, when they hunt, and how they hunt. I promise you this, The deer know or will earn very quickly.
This is where Identifying and reading the deer and hunter sign is important.
I am not talking about rut sign I am talking about sign that deer leave outside of the rut. for example, big tracks, scat, yes scrapes and rubs but these wont be in a rut area that a ton of does live in. these rubs or scrapes will be where the bucks live. When you are lookin for rut sign try to think like this and simplify it in a way that Rut sign is Rut sign and will most likely be in food areas, open woods transitions, or outside or very near doe bedding. Just keep that all in your mind when your out maybe doing some early season scouting or hanging some trail cameras.
I can not wait for this season because I believe I am getting a lot better than how I was feeling in the last few years Mentally and I am plowing through every day to strive to be better at what i love to do and that is to Live and enjoy life. This year I will plan my opportunities to hunt a lot more strictly and this will or should give me more time than I was allocated in the last few years. Balance and Planning for me is very Important for me. The reast between is the challenge of putting the puzzle together which is why we all do what we do every year :tonguewink: :tonguewink: :tonguewink: :tonguewink:
Sorry to ramble but I really enjoy to share some things that have helped me improve my deer tactics immensely and want to share them so others can enjoy the the experiences I have been through chasing deer. Please remember to where tick spray or permethrin because the bugs are already nuts lol
and drink plenty of water

Actually hung a camera this weekend in a out of the way part of my buddy's farm where I put in a new mineral site. Was in there marking timber for the last round of TSI cutting for a while.

Actually hung a camera this weekend in a out of the way part of my buddy's farm where I put in a new mineral site. Was in there marking timber for the last round of TSI cutting for a while.
Sweet man. Ive been so dam busy between pumping gas at wawa and the handyman buissness its been crazy. But, its that time of year

well I can do that too but, its not allowed on my Low carb diet :tonguewink: :tonguewink: :tonguewink: :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::sunglasses:
Taco meat over cauliflower rice, sprinkled with cheese and (keto-friendly) condiments. It's actually pretty good, and I can eat it without tearfully imagining the delicious foods I'd rather be eating, like I do when I try to eat kale stir-fry or something equally disappointing.

Taco meat over cauliflower rice, sprinkled with cheese and (keto-friendly) condiments. It's actually pretty good, and I can eat it without tearfully imagining the delicious foods I'd rather be eating, like I do when I try to eat kale stir-fry or something equally disappointing.
i love riced cauliflower
i started pretty much living on it around 2 days ago

One cam out in front woods for about 3-4 weeks...lots of pics of 3 Doe, and 1 sprouting Buck (over the ears already and split) Time will tell.
CEYOMUR Trail Camera, 20MP 1080P Hunting Camera My wife got me off Amazon for under $25...doing great which surprised me.

I lost my honey hole residential spot a short while ago since the owner passed and house was sold (hope to get back in) Still knocking on doors and found 1 farm that looks like he wants a lease....hasn't called me back yet and I don't want to look too eager.

Last edited:
This weekend I’ll be getting my trail cams up for the Sept. 1st open. My wife is about tired of hearing about tactics and gear lmbo. Thankfully she lets me run free during archery season until I fill my tags!

Thanks @Robert loper so are you saying the Tascos do a decent job of covering that time period between checks on one set of batteries? That ain’t bad! I wish a camera Co would offer a cheap bare bones low MP cam that excelled in battery life, the trade off between pics quality and features vs battery life is worth it to me.

As a guy who grew up rural but is now stuck in the burbs I’m always jealous of the guys in or near the country who get to scout from the truck, or have easy access to scouting. Wife won’t let us move to the boondocks and the older I get the more I wish I was in em.

Thanks @Robert loper so are you saying the Tascos do a decent job of covering that time period between checks on one set of batteries? That ain’t bad! I wish a camera Co would offer a cheap bare bones low MP cam that excelled in battery life, the trade off between pics quality and features vs battery life is worth it to me.

As a guy who grew up rural but is now stuck in the burbs I’m always jealous of the guys in or near the country who get to scout from the truck, or have easy access to scouting. Wife won’t let us move to the boondocks and the older I get the more I wish I was in em.
Yes. They do a grwat job.
also I use two sets of batteries all year. And I probably dont even have to
Honestly i use the cheapo aa batteries i buy in bulk from harbor freight. They work great.

One warning about Tascos (I have 4 of them that I use thanks to Rob) is that they don't really love mac's and I had to download some different software so my mac would read the SD cards because of the codec they use for the images and videos

I just found out tonight that all dnrec lands in Delaware has banned trail cameras.
crazy man.

I use those cheap $30 Muddy cameras and they work well. The batteries last forever in them. I use Energizer Lithium batteries and can leave a camera out all year long. In remote places where camera theft is unlikely, I take a 5 gallon bucket and split it in half and strap it to the tree above the camera. It makes for a nice hood protecting the camera from the elements and sun glare. I buy brown buckets from Acadamy Sports and sand it a little so to dull the shine. They hide pretty well.

I don't get too worked up about hunting until about mid-August when some the colors just start changing a little out in the woods. The cherry trees and the poison ivy start tuning colors early. Seeing those early signs of fall colors gets me pumped up.

Back