• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Well took a step closer to a saddle...

SouthMsBowhunter

I rigged up a older body harness with a makeshift bridge and tethered to a tree. I then climbed on top of my original lone wolf seat and tried simulating what saddle hunting would be like. With the older LW seat I imagined this would be what a "Klemz" platform would be like.

Impression #1 It has to be more comfortable than what I rigged up. Let just say "what is Christmas without the Nutcrackers":tearsofjoy:

Impression #2 It is not as easy to maneuver around the tree as first imagined. But with a little time I was able to figure out a shot position for my longbow that could cover 360*.

Impression #3 Noise reduction will be a big factor to contend with.

Impression #4 And movement to make shots will need to be watched or setup. This also happen in a regular stand so not a biggie. I was able to get some controlled "swings" that would allow me to perhaps track with the deer if there walking.

Overall I think I will like it with a real Saddle. And I will probably just buy the Kestrel kit instead of trying to start with building everything. I really want a system ready setup to start hunting by next season.

I rigged up a older body harness with a makeshift bridge and tethered to a tree. I then climbed on top of my original lone wolf seat and tried simulating what saddle hunting would be like. With the older LW seat I imagined this would be what a "Klemz" platform would be like.

Impression #1 It has to be more comfortable than what I rigged up. Let just say "what is Christmas without the Nutcrackers":tearsofjoy:

Impression #2 It is not as easy to maneuver around the tree as first imagined. But with a little time I was able to figure out a shot position for my longbow that could cover 360*.

Impression #3 Noise reduction will be a big factor to contend with.

Impression #4 And movement to make shots will need to be watched or setup. This also happen in a regular stand so not a biggie. I was able to get some controlled "swings" that would allow me to perhaps track with the deer if there walking.

Overall I think I will like it with a real Saddle. And I will probably just buy the Kestrel kit instead of trying to start with building everything. I really want a system ready setup to start hunting by next season.

I haven't tried a kestrel yet (sit drag for me) but can tell you that "the boys" will appreciate it more than a full body harness haha.

the “boys” as you say we’re not liking it at all!

And I had to chuckle as I was out there “swinging” the next door neighbor was having a Security system installed, had to wonder what his fool neighbor was doing now!

try tying a rope on each end of a pillow case and make a hammock seat. I felt like a dummy but that was my first trial run. I immediately came inside and ordered a sit drag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can't miss buying the Kestrel. It's the best saddle I have use next to my Guido's web. I been into saddlehunting for a longtime time and the Kestrel is by far my favorite.

Let me ask this question while i'm at it...

While playing around the makeshift saddle, I also used the LW cam buckle strap as my linesman belt and really liked the one handed operation!

I had read of others using it on the forum. Is there any negatives or safety concerns in using this strap as the linesman belt?

It is use to holding the sticks and the stands with a 300# rating so don't know if this application would put any undue stress on it?

While playing around the makeshift saddle, I also used the LW cam buckle strap as my linesman belt and really liked the one handed operation!

I had read of others using it on the forum. Is there any negatives or safety concerns in using this strap as the linesman belt?

It is use to holding the sticks and the stands with a 300# rating so don't know if this application would put any undue stress on it?

I should be fine, however I don’t know what the KN rating of it would be, in case you had a “dramatic” fall.

I

It is use to holding the sticks and the stands with a 300# rating so don't know if this application would put any undue stress on it?[/QUOTE

I would use the linesman belt that comes with the Kestrel and also use a ropeman 1 with it.

Most guys on here are using some climbing rope with a ropeman1/carabiner on it for the 1 handed operation. It will be much more durable than a lone wolf strap.

^^^^^
And easier operation too. The Ropeman1 is a saddle hunter’s best friend!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're doing all the right things, asking the right questions, and considering the right factors.

You're well on your way to joining our ranks. Come on in the water is nice....:)

Sent from my Galaxy S8.

Back