• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

What kind of rope is everyone going with?

cheecho67

SH Member
I’m thinking about a repelling rope and on YouTube seems like everyone is recommending Canyon elite 9 mm is that what you guys are using? Very open to recommendations.

Canyon Elite 9mm is what I use. Anything smaller is out of spec for a madrock safeguard. The elite is much more pliable than the Canyon IV making it store in pouch easier. I have used 8mm restech out of the madrock with no problems. It’s much lighter and packs smaller than the Canyon elite. But I prefer the Canyon elite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So to agree with @Rutman , Canyon Elite packs better, but my preference is actually the Canyon C-IV. It's in reallity a "smaller" 9mm and I personally think it handles better. I'm currently using the C-IV for SRT, and the Elite for rappelling (in conjunction with a climbing method, currently the Sladder), with a Madrock.

So to agree with @Rutman , Canyon Elite packs better, but my preference is actually the Canyon C-IV. It's in reallity a "smaller" 9mm and I personally think it handles better. I'm currently using the C-IV for SRT, and the Elite for rappelling (in conjunction with a climbing method, currently the Sladder), with a Madrock.
So what do you use for s r t?

I just picked up some of the new thinner predator and using a grigri.

I’ve used both CIV and HTP and both work just fine. The HTP is a fairly stiff rope though, especially after I’ve loaded it so stowing it afterwards is a bit more work. It rappels nicely though. Both are 9mm so in spec for the Safeguard.

So having a sewn eye and quick link and some sort of tether locker just fine? I know girth hitching is preferred with sewn eye.

If I'm using a quick-link, I do use an Ohm tether-locker, I prefer tying onto the quick-link vs. a sewn eye... All personal preference.

Of the 9mm stuff I have tried I like the Bluewater Protac the best. That said I prefer 8mm resctech. I do not use a mechanical device for rappelling.

Can’t go wrong with either canyon ropes. The C-IV IS stiffer, but the elite, feels really good in your hands and is a pleasure to tie Knots with….youll love it! I think my favorite is probably resctech ffor rappeling, but using the C-IV with my SRT setup. I’m new to this so I haven’t used a lot of different ropes. The sterling TRC or Beal in 5.5 will also hitch to the mentioned ropes very well. I’ve also found EWO to be bout the best budget friendly place to get ropes and hitch cords……just saying

Can’t go wrong with either canyon ropes. The C-IV IS stiffer, but the elite, feels really good in your hands and is a pleasure to tie Knots with….youll love it! I think my favorite is probably resctech ffor rappeling, but using the C-IV with my SRT setup. I’m new to this so I haven’t used a lot of different ropes. The sterling TRC or Beal in 5.5 will also hitch to the mentioned ropes very well. I’ve also found EWO to be bout the best budget friendly place to get ropes and hitch cords……just saying
yes just got some rope at ewo i had 40" in cart almost ready to purchase and saw your post and checked out EWO and got it like almost $30 bucks cheaper!! glad I saw your post LOL.

so how do you like the sladder? I have just seen the video from one of the threads in here. looks pretty cool.

so how do you like the sladder? I have just seen the video from one of the threads in here. looks pretty cool.
So far this is my preferred method! Any tree any place. I just need to make sure that I don't climb above my rappel rope length (if necessary).

I am not to experienced with Amsteel can that be replaced with 3/16 amsteel daisy chain? Or is that 1/8 built in the system?

I am not to experienced with Amsteel can that be replaced with 3/16 amsteel daisy chain? Or is that 1/8 built in the system?
The mfg diameter is safe, but you could replace with 3/16"! Key note: they HAVE TO BE that size OPEN-style loop in order to release properly.

Back