• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Whats up with the 'Sladder Climbing system"?

DMTJAGER

Anyone know anything about if this climbing system by Greyskwerel Outdoors as in did anyone ever get one and try it? Been to the WS several times but every time I go their the climbing system is OOS. I know I first time I saw it on here was almost a year ago.
Did email them and are awaiting a reply.

Looks like a pretty cool system if it works as advertised.

I got the opportunity to see it in action, and have a 8 footer on Pre-Order. Biggest selling points to me were:
  • Light weight
  • Easy to attacharound the tree
  • Very quiet
  • #1… able to get up 7 vertical feet with each movement
I’ve done WE steps, single stick and even tried an inline ladder. This one seems to be the most efficient solution I’ve seen yet… at least for where I hunt and my ‘use case’.

Very excited to try this one!!

To each their own but that looks like you could save 160 bucks and make it with an aider and a daisy chain in about 10 minutes after work one day

I agree. Website shows that it is already on sale. Marked down to $199 from $225
Hopefully someone puts together a diy video on how to make one soon. I am surprised nobody has done it yet. Seems like there are a lot of folks trying to get famous on YouTube nowadays.

Guys to be fair to greysquirrel. This is a sewn ladder that would be very difficult to make at home unless you have some heavy duty equipment. It appears to be multi layer webbing in many places. Probably takes 40 ft of webbing or more to make. Also the time to sew it. There is insurance when selling something like this. Price is probably fair.

There is insurance when selling something like this. Price is probably fair.
Metolius must've saved 15% or more by switching to Geico because their's is $60.

Joking aside it's nice to have it all in one package and I understand individually hand made equipment is going to cost more.
I've tried something similar and had serious issues on leaning trees which seem to be the norm around here so it didn't work for me. It would probably be handy going deep into a spot where you know exactly what kind of trees you're getting into.

Last edited:
Metolius must've saved 15% or more by switching to Geico because their's is $60.

Joking aside it's nice to have it all in one package and I understand individually hand made equipment is going to cost more.
I've tried something similar and had serious issues on leaning trees which seem to be the norm around here so it didn't work for me. It would probably be handy going deep into a spot where you know exactly what kind of trees you're getting into.

I made one almost a year ago after the original thread and video about it. Mine didn’t work properly as the hook would not automatically release from the daisy chain. From grayskwerl’s latest video I see what I did wrong and I’m in the process of making a new one. I can assure you that it is a lot more work than just buying an aider from Amazon and strapping it onto a tree. The stirrups on the tree straps, the correct loops on the amsteel daisy chains, the right hook to hold and release - these things are all key to making this work as intended. It isn’t hard to put together, but it does take time and a few different materials.

Is it $200 worth of work? Up to each of you to decide. If it works nearly as well as the demo videos show, then I think it’ll be pretty awesome.

As for leaning trees, every climbing method is harder on leaning trees (except for rope climbing like SRT). With aiders you definitely have to be on the underside of the lean and there are certainly some leaners that lean so much that they’re not worth even trying. If you have a lot of those where you hunt, then stick with a different method. Again, totally up to the individual.

I’m really leaning on this system and debating it, but the one hold up I have is the same reason I don’t use sticks, the lineman’s belt is not sufficient enough safety for me to climb and I just can’t kick that feeling. And I would also be interest how it does on pine trees.

I’m really leaning on this system and debating it, but the one hold up I have is the same reason I don’t use sticks, the lineman’s belt is not sufficient enough safety for me to climb and I just can’t kick that feeling. And I would also be interest how it does on pine trees.
Just my opinion. I am going to climb with sticks and my tether attached to the tree. Easy to do, take a little longer but safety is #1. I will never have more then 1 step of slack in tether. I use a Cornell hitch and a single step aider on the first two sticks.

I would think that you would have better luck with Grayskwerel's Sladder on leaning trees since both the top and the bottom are attached to the tree at the same time.

Last edited:
Just my opinion. I am going to climb with sticks and my tether attached to the tree. Easy to do, take a little longer but safety is #1. I will never have more then 1 step of slack in tether. I use a Cornell hitch and a single step aider on the first two sticks.

You could use your tether on this system also. Just put it above the ladder as high as you can reach.

I'm with you on just using a lineman's. No matter what method I use, I'm always more comfortable using the tether for climbing. I know it takes a little more time, but I feel more secure personally. I'm not young, lightweight and agile anymore - haaaa.

I would think that you would have better luck with Greyskwerel's Sladder on leaning trees since both the top and the bottom are attached to the tree at the same time.
It's rappel down only though unless you don't want the bottom connected? So it would be the cost of this system plus rappel gear?

I'm with you on just using a lineman's. No matter what method I use, I'm always more comfortable using the tether for climbing. I know it takes a little more time, but I feel more secure personally. I'm not young, lightweight and agile anymore - haaaa.
Yeah I was thinking using a tether just trying to wrap my head around getting it up above the sladder once placed.

It's rappel down only though unless you don't want the bottom connected? So it would be the cost of this system plus rappel gear?
That is what killed the system for me. Once you add the weight of rappelling gear it is heavier than my 3 tethrd one sticks with a CAYG aider.

Back