• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

What time should I be set up by? (AM)

What time should I be set up and ready to hunt by?

• 2 hours before first light

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • 1.5 hours before first light

• 1 hour before first light

Votes: 9 19.1%
  • 30 mins before first light

Votes: 19 40.4%
  • At least by first light

Votes: 10 21.3%
  • it don't matter

• When you're good and ready

Votes: 6 12.8%

• Total voters

gcr0003

SH Member
I've always struggled to get into the woods and up a tree well before daylight. In the beginning it was because I underestimated the time it took me to drive, hike, and climb the tree. Then it was just because I couldn't get myself awake and going much earlier. It hasn't ever been a big issue with me seeing deer, but it has cost me a few opportunities. I've been pretty laid back going after deer so I wasn't ever really upset getting set up right at daylight and even sometimes at sunrise.

That said, the deer here are still leaving pre-rut sign and much of that appears to be at night from my camera observation. They should start rutting very soon. My hope is to catch some of the deer moving late into first light coming or going from some of the fresh sign. As they transition into rut, how important is getting an early set up? My thought is that maybe if you are getting in late and bumping does around you maybe push deer away from you, but I am not sure. What are some other reasons to get into the woods well before daylight.

I have a 20 min drive, 20 bike, 10 min hike, and a 10 climb. Give me a time to shoot for before first light (shooting light). I am going to try and hit it hard this weekend and I am wanting to see if getting set up early gives me the little edge I need to bag one of these better bucks.

Last edited:
what's you system to take 10 minutes from reaching tree to hanging and ready? i can maybe do 20 minutes total with 4 sticks and an aider but that is pushing it for me

when i go in to a new spot in the morning, where i don't even have a tree in mind...then i usually go in so that i am at the spot at gray light and can look around and climb without a head lamp and still be safe

i haven't seen any deer doing this, but i nearly guarantee that i've had a buck walk up behind while i'm climbing and turn around and leave, i just didn't see him do it

this partly has to do with where you're hunting, if i am going to a spot where i know the good tree i'll climb and i know my approach won't scare off deer that i'm targeting (i'm not walking through feeding, etc)...then the earlier the better for me within reason, but i voted 30 minutes because that's what is realistic for me

i wish i could fall asleep whenever i want/need to, but i can't and so i'm always tired for morning hunts

when going to a new spot i picked off a map....well first i avoid that in the morning....but if i do it, then i time it so i'm at the tree at gray light as mentioned in first sentence....mentioning again to expand on that....when i've went to a new spot when dark, i have to do too much shining my light into the trees to find shooting lands and/or walk where the deer might be....and it is a sweaty and stressful way to start the day.....then the Sun comes up and your realize your tree stinks and you either have to sit there or get down and move and risk scaring deer

Being setup 3 or 4 minutes before the deer get there is usually plenty. Sitting in the dark for an extended period has never made sense to me. If I cant shoot 'em I dont need them coming by. If they are coming by in the dark, maybe you should be setup further out in the direction they are going. Might lead to less bumps and less sitting in the dark wondering if that was your target buck that just walked by 45 minutes before legal shooting light. ;)

I've always struggled to get into the woods and up a tree well before daylight. In the beginning it was because I underestimated the time it took me to drive, hike, and climb the tree. Then it was just because I couldn't get myself awake and going much earlier. It hasn't ever been a big issue with me seeing deer, but it has cost me a few opportunities. I've been pretty laid back going after deer so I wasn't ever really upset getting set up right at daylight and even sometimes at sunrise.

That said, the deer here are still leaving pre-rut sign and much of that appears to be at night from my camera observation. They should start rutting very soon. My hope is to catch some of the deer moving late into first light coming or going from some of the fresh sign. As they transition into rut, how important is getting an early set up? My thought is that maybe if you are getting in late and bumping does around you maybe push deer away from you, but I am not sure. What are some other reasons to get into the woods well before daylight.

I have a 20 min drive, 20 bike, 10 min hike, and a 10 climb. Give me a time to shoot for before first light (shooting light). I am going to try and hit it hard this weekend and I am wanting to see if getting set up early gives me the little edge I need to bag one of these better bucks.
First light is prime time for good bucks running late for the bed. I want the woods to have time to settle a little before that time. Also, the headlight doesn’t bother them if they can’t smell you, while seeing you walking in in the light of morning seems to have an adverse impact on their willingness to stick around.

Being setup 3 or 4 minutes before the deer get there is usually plenty. Sitting in the dark for an extended period has never made sense to me. If I cant shoot 'em I dont need them coming by. If they are coming by in the dark, maybe you should be setup further out in the direction they are going. Might lead to less bumps and less sitting in the dark wondering if that was your target buck that just walked by 45 minutes before legal shooting light. ;)
This has been my typical approach. I’m just excited to get back in the woods after two weeks! Ha

First light is prime time for good bucks running late for the bed. I want the woods to have time to settle a little before that time. Also, the headlight doesn’t bother them if they can’t smell you, while seeing you walking in in the light of morning seems to have an adverse impact on their willingness to stick around.
Yes I have had some decent bucks moving though at first light at my camera so if I could get ahead of them just a little and already be set up ready to shoot that might be the advantage I need to make something happen.

what's you system to take 10 minutes from reaching tree to hanging and ready? i can maybe do 20 minutes total with 4 sticks and an aider but that is pushing it for me

when i go in to a new spot in the morning, where i don't even have a tree in mind...then i usually go in so that i am at the spot at gray light and can look around and climb without a head lamp and still be safe

i haven't seen any deer doing this, but i nearly guarantee that i've had a buck walk up behind while i'm climbing and turn around and leave, i just didn't see him do it

this partly has to do with where you're hunting, if i am going to a spot where i know the good tree i'll climb and i know my approach won't scare off deer that i'm targeting (i'm not walking through feeding, etc)...then the earlier the better for me within reason, but i voted 30 minutes because that's what is realistic for me

i wish i could fall asleep whenever i want/need to, but i can't and so i'm always tired for morning hunts

when going to a new spot i picked off a map....well first i avoid that in the morning....but if i do it, then i time it so i'm at the tree at gray light as mentioned in first sentence....mentioning again to expand on that....when i've went to a new spot when dark, i have to do too much shining my light into the trees to find shooting lands and/or walk where the deer might be....and it is a sweaty and stressful way to start the day.....then the Sun comes up and your realize your tree stinks and you either have to sit there or get down and move and risk scaring deer
10-20 minutes depending on if I’m already wearing my saddle in or if I’m putting clothes on at the bottom of the tree. 2TC flies! Especially when I already know what trees I want to be in. I don’t use a light much if at all going in and out of the woods. It’s been my self imposed challenge to get more comfortable in the woods at night and I think it’s improved my awareness and stealth. Climbing a tree I rarely if ever need a light especially if it’s near a full moon.

I will add that I’ve been shooting in moonlight or after sunset with great accuracy to 15 yards in preparation for deer moving at first or last light for the past year. This would be for deer that are very close like what might be presented in an early morning or late evening hunt scenario.

Let me share something with you that has helped me in the last couple of years...

I too previously struggled getting up early and getting setup when I wanted. Part of this was due to my sleep cycle when I was younger and staying up late all the time. I would not want to get up, hit snooze, then I would be late.

The older I get, the more I realize, whether it's in the woods, driving somewhere, or at the airport... I HATE being rushed.

Figure out what time you want to be setup, ready to shoot. Estimate how long it takes to get there, hike to your tree, and climb. Then estimate what time you think you need to wake up to achieve this schedule.

... Then set your alarm for one full hour before that. That way, you can be a little slow and lazy in the morning. Everything takes a longer than you think, especially when you're groggy. Your 5 min shower is probably more like 10 min. Your 20 min hike is probably more like 30 min.

I have found this makes the mornings less stressful and more enjoyable.

I think it depends on the spot but I usually shoot for settling in 15-30 minutes before shooting go time, and I've shot several right off the bat. Only two situations I can see getting in earlier makes sense. 1) Trying to beat other guys to a spot and expecting to play flashlight tag (aka PA rifle season), or 2) trying to beat a buck back to bed and wait out shooting time. I've never executed that one successfully.

Let me share something with you that has helped me in the last couple of years...

I too previously struggled getting up early and getting setup when I wanted. Part of this was due to my sleep cycle when I was younger and staying up late all the time. I would not want to get up, hit snooze, then I would be late.

The older I get, the more I realize, whether it's in the woods, driving somewhere, or at the airport... I HATE being rushed.

Figure out what time you want to be setup, ready to shoot. Estimate how long it takes to get there, hike to your tree, and climb. Then estimate what time you think you need to wake up to achieve this schedule.

... Then set your alarm for one full hour before that. That way, you can be a little slow and lazy in the morning. Everything takes a longer than you think, especially when you're groggy. Your 5 min shower is probably more like 10 min. Your 20 min hike is probably more like 30 min.

Here's something else I do that helps... Take this with a grain of salt because everyone handles alcohol, pharmaceuticals, etc differently.

If I decide I need to wake up at 4 am, I back up 7-8 hours and figure out what time I need to go to sleep. Sometimes I will backup another hour before that and take an OTC low dose, sleeping pill to make me drowsy. That way, when my scheduled bed time hits, I am ready to lay down.

Granted, this isn't always possible with prior engagements, kids, etc... But it might help.

Like I said, just be careful with those little pills. Everyone is different.

I’ve been doing a lot better this year and all my morning hunts I’ve been in the tree before first light. I started getting up an hour earlier then I thought I needed because I always have to do my business in the morning. And I’ve been padding all my times like you mention. It’s a struggle but I’m getting better. Thanks for the tips.

I voted for by first light since you said ready to hunt. I would try to time it to have finished my climb 30 mins before legal so I can hang my bow, situate the extra stuff I don't really need and cool off and let my heart rate settle and add extra layers back if needed before legal light comes. 10 mins may be plenty of time for some people to do all that, some may take a full 30, but it's better to have 30 and not need it than to be trying to finish your setup as the deer come through.

Here's something else I do that helps... Take this with a grain of salt because everyone handles alcohol, pharmaceuticals, etc differently.

If I decide I need to wake up at 4 am, I back up 7-8 hours and figure out what time I need to go to sleep. Sometimes I will backup another hour before that and take an OTC low dose, sleeping pill to make me drowsy. That way, when my scheduled bed time hits, I am ready to lay down.

Granted, this isn't always possible with prior engagements, kids, etc... But it might help.

Like I said, just be careful with those little pills. Everyone is different.
Sleeping and sleeping well is not an issue for me… except when I know I’m hunting in the morning. I get so excited and anxious I sometimes don’t sleep well. I always get my 6-9 hours though.

I’ve been doing a lot better this year and all my morning hunts I’ve been in the tree before first light. I started getting up an hour earlier then I thought I needed because I always have to do my business in the morning. And I’ve been padding all my times like you mention. It’s a struggle but I’m getting better. Thanks for the tips.

I used to basically run to my spot. I know I made more noise than I should have and I would wind up sweaty when I got there. Leaving early and going slow works a lot better for me. That goes for driving, hiking, and climbing.

I used to basically run to my spot. I know I made more noise than I should have and I would wind up sweaty when I got there. Leaving early and going slow works a lot better for me. That goes for driving, hiking, and climbing.
Yea I would do all that with all my warm layers on when I didnt know any better. I would be running late and running to my tree absolutely drenched in sweat. Climb my tree right at first light and by sunrise I’d already be shivering. Having time to take my time has made a difference in not getting sweaty and eventually cold. That said I don’t wear much on my bike and hike in anymore either lol.

I can't think of any deer I've shot right at daylight from a tree.
I've shot a pile of them by sneaking around early in the morning though...

I love still hunting in the morning so I don't get excited about going in in the dark.

There’s also the factor of beating other weekend warriors to spots. They aren’t going as deep as I do but if they’re set up at the entrance of the block of woods I’m planning to hunt it does throw off my morning, especially when I already have a place I want to hunt.

Back