• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Which saddle setup?

Tjraley2

Vendor Rep
I’m ready to make the switch to saddle hunting. Lurking on here for a while has convinced me of the pros. But I don’t have enough money or brownie points with the wife to buy more than one. What should I go with? I’m not a huge fan of doing a DIY project because I’ll probably end up dead or maimed. But of the commercially available saddles or those that require minimal DIY work (like the sitdrag), which should I go with?

Full disclosure, I’m leaning towards the kestrel, so if you have a different opinion. convince me.

Lightweight and comfort are my two primary values, not necessarily in that order, but probably so since I typically have a nearly 4 mike round trip walk in.

Thanks in advance for your responses. Pics of your setup are also appreciated.

I have been a diehard diy Sit & Drag fan, but got a chance to sit in the Kestrel at saddlepalooza last weekend.....

Go with the Kestrel!

I will be buying one as soon as funds allow. I didn’t think there was any need to have something other than my sit drag, but the Kestrel quickly changed my mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info guys. This site is awesome. Already have someone near me offering to let me try out their kestrel before buying.

You guys are the best.

The kestrel is a super well made product. You will likely make adjusts even to it (i.e. bridge changes, the additional of ropeman1's, pouches, etc). If you are leaning that route, don't question it!

I have been a diehard diy Sit & Drag fan, but got a chance to sit in the Kestrel at saddlepalooza last weekend.....

Go with the Kestrel!

I will be buying one as soon as funds allow. I didn’t think there was any need to have something other than my sit drag, but the Kestrel quickly changed my mind.

Just curious what did you like better about the Kestral?

Just curious what did you like better about the Kestral?

It is super comfortable, and I don’t need to adjust it when switching from climbing to sitting/leaning. Most of the weight from ropes and tethers sits lower than on the Kestrel, making it have less hip gouging when walking in.

Also, my wife would probably be more comfortable with me in something made by professionals.

It is super comfortable, and I don’t need to adjust it when switching from climbing to sitting/leaning. Most of the weight from ropes and tethers sits lower than on the Kestrel, making it have less hip gouging when walking in.

Also, my wife would probably be more comfortable with me in something made by professionals.

Nice. I only ask because I'm just about done building my sit-drag as my first setup and with all the great things I have seen about the Kestral starting to get that feeling that I have possibly wasted my time on it. But, at least I can give it a try to make sure I really enjoy it before investing more in a Kestral.

Nice. I only ask because I'm just about done building my sit-drag as my first setup and with all the great things I have seen about the Kestral starting to get that feeling that I have possibly wasted my time on it. But, at least I can give it a try to make sure I really enjoy it before investing more in a Kestral.

I hunted exclusively out of my sit drag for over a season... it is definitely not a waste of time. Especially with lengthy wait times still going on for the kestrels.

I hunted exclusively out of my sit drag for over a season... it is definitely not a waste of time. Especially with lengthy wait times still going on for the kestrels.

Yeah I'm sure it's very worth while. I just need to get it finished and in a tree to enjoy the fruits of my labor.

I had both the kestrel and the sit drag and prefer my sit drag. If you go with the kestrel and are even close to the upper limit of size one go with size two. Sit drag is minimal investment both hold Their value. Just my two cents.

Actually thinking about it a little more even if I end up getting both I would not regret my sit-drag build a bit .For one, im sure I will love it. Also it taught me how to use a thread injector, splice rope, make my own molle and got me interesting in making my own gear. And I have actually enjoyed the whole process. So I regret NOTHING! Still may have to pick up a Kestral in the future though.

I bought a Kestrel as my first saddle and love it - picked up a RCH and Sit Drag this weekend at Saddlepalooza so I have a second saddle - that way I have a spare and can introduce someone else / my kids to the saddle and I can still hunt from one.

I had both the kestrel and the sit drag and prefer my sit drag. If you go with the kestrel and are even close to the upper limit of size one go with size two. Sit drag is minimal investment both hold Their value. Just my two cents.

Just out of curiosity, are you more of a sitter or a leaner?

If you can find a Guidos Web, try it. This is the most comfortable saddle out there. Guidos Web is no longer being made because Butch has retired but you can find them on the "FOR SALE" thread every now and then.
This saddle is what I started with and now I have the sit drag also. My Web is my favorite and as far as I know, it will be my #1 until I quit hunting.

Just out of curiosity, are you more of a sitter or a leaner?

I lean 90 percent of the time. Only time I sit is to change it up on those long hunts.

If you're a bigger dude, Kestrel...no question. Smaller guys can get away with a SitDrag and save some money. But there's no question the Kestrel is a superior product.

Back