• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Why saddle vs hang on

For me it is mobility and the reduction in weight. Plus you can go deeper without breaking a sweat.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

It's a tough call if you have a nice small light stand. I have a windwalker I hunted with for years with a rch. I used a tether with a prussic, just like a saddle and had never heard of saddle hunting. There were still some shots that were just less comfortable or feasible with a loc on. I also feel like it depends on setup, a stand can stick out like a sore thumb, but a saddle always tends to look more "natural" to me siliuetted in the trees, which means less height potentially...

I traded my 10# lock-on for a 1# sitdrag
All other things being equal.
I’m using the same sticks and RC. Add the ROS
I saved 7-8# that makes a difference where and how I hunt.
I find the saddle much more comfortable than a loc on. It’s not even close.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm switching from a climber to the saddle for safety, you're already in your harness, not a fall arrest system, ease of shooting angles, and the stealth of being behind the trunk.

I chose a saddle over a lock on for the simple fact my uncle suggested I give it my full effort. His years of experience swayed me. The lighter weight and less cumbersome package has really improved my novice hunting experience. The safety aspect makes it easy for me to stick with this approach. This is only my third season bow hunting seriously, and it is my first full season in a kestrel. I have thoroughly enjoyed my decision to hunt this way.

Last edited:
I made the switch to a SD for the weight savings, mobility in the tree, reduction in sound, comfort, increase the number of trees you can hunt, blending in more naturally in the tree... the list can go on and on

Why do you all choose saddle over a hang on stand
More, and quicker mobility than a hang-on.

Way more tree choices than a climber. I haven't used a climber for 30 years. Can't stand the concept of having to saw branches on the way up.

A ladder or box blind?? What are those?

Ground blind...claustrophobic.I don't feel like I can get a good 360 degree view sitting in a tent.

I think the #1 reason I switched to saddles is, in the last few years, I've had a hard time staying awake in the tree. An eleven hour sit in nice weather puts me right to sleep...I mean OUT COLD, dream phase, drooling and snoring. I would be jarred awake with the feeling that I was about to fall off the stand. I knew that wouldn't happen with a saddle. Funny thing, though...so far, Ive been pretty much awake in the saddle. Took one short nap the other day...total security.

Not being a fan of high places, hunting in a traditional stand required me to push the envelope of my comfort zone. Balancing on a small stand 20' up was never fun but necessary for whitetails. Wearing a safety harness only offered a bit of assurance that should something happen I might not fall to the ground and get hurt.
Using the saddle, I'm attached to the tree from the ground up to hunting height. Once tethered in I have the feeling of being attached to the tree instead of balancing on a small platform. Much more reassuring and removes the fear of falling from my mind.
On windy days in a traditional stand I'd spend more time hanging on than hunting. In a saddle I could take a nap...:cool:

I like run and gun hunting. Deep public land. Hang and hunt. The stands required for that are not comfy.

My saddle is not only more comfortable, but several lbs lighter than today's lightweight treestands. Much lower profile.

Now, on my private land spots, I have heavy but comfy stands already hung. I don't saddle for those.

Weight and mobility are my #1 and 2 reasons. I hunt public land and sweat a ton so the lighter my setup is the better and further I can go. I am coming from a climber so I like the ability to setup in a tree with limbs. It has opened up the whole forest instead of just a few trees if I'm lucky. Half the time I dont use a platform.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I switched as it thought it would hide my profile better. This is my full first season and first with a saddle. I used a sit drag and preacher's seat s few times last year.

I also switched due to the weight savings, nose, and clumsiness from my climber. I used a heavy backpack and my total setup minus the backpack is 17 pounds. I carry 8 WIlde edge steps but realistically should never need more than 7.

I also think it will give me more shot opportunities as it can shoot 360 degrees. I might have been able to shoot 240-270 degrees from a regular treestand.

I think it is nicer and more stealthy to lean. I find this really comfortable and i think it looks more natural like a large limb (more natural angle).

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Although I don't have my saddle yet (it's on order) I choose the saddle over the stand for the following reasons.
-Portability, you don't have to lug around a stand or pull, carry it up and down trees. Light, small carry on your butt or pack.
-Safety, even with a safety harness on I don't want to fall from a treestand. I don't feel you'll ever fall from a saddle.
-Cover, I'm always looking for tree with cover to put my treestand in. With a saddle the tree is the cover.
-Ever had a treestand stolen? You always have your saddle with you, no one can steal it.
-I have 4 lock on stands, 3 ladder stands and 1 climber to be more efficient. I only need one saddle.

When I'm walking to my stand I always see it before I get to it and I always find others stands because they stick out like a sore thumb of course you won't have that with your saddle because you take it with you.

Last edited:
Vertigo. Especially in a loc on it has been slowly getting worse. Climbed into one my first bow hunt this year and it was too much. I need something in front of me or I start swimming. The bar on my climber is enough to alleviate it, but damn dragging a climber all over the place. Bought a sitdrag (already used an RCH) and realized right off the bat that I had been missin the boat all along. Not going back, saddles are incredible.

Vertigo. Especially in a loc on it has been slowly getting worse. Climbed into one my first bow hunt this year and it was too much. I need something in front of me or I start swimming. The bar on my climber is enough to alleviate it, but damn dragging a climber all over the place. Bought a sitdrag (already used an RCH) and realized right off the bat that I had been missin the boat all along. Not going back, saddles are incredible.
Mobility ON the stand feels so much more secure in a saddle. There is no wondering where my feet are in relation to the edge of my platform. I always feel like I have to slide my feet on a regular platform...if I completely lift one foot to move it, I better be touching the tree for balance or I feel like I will lose my balance.

I've never had an issue with climbing trees, heights, or standing for long hours on tiny homemade platforms. Heck, guys have looked at what I've stood on and say "NO WAY".
But I gotta say, a saddle has brought a new feeling of security that makes me realize that I will never go back to the old harness. Even if I choose to hunt from my homemade platforms, I will still be in a saddle.

Also, Something else that I never hear any other saddle guys talk about is how nice it is to hang traditional stands while wearing a saddle as opposed to a lineman belt.
A lineman belt is ALWAYS right where the stand needs to go. Straps and chains are always fighting with the lineman. Using a tether frees up the area where the stand needs to go and also gives me the ability to pivot around the tree easier to reach the strap, or lean out to trim stuff. Plus, with a lineman, all your body weight is on your feet, and BOTH feet need to be on steps. With a tether, comfort while positioning a hang on stand is super. Fatigue is almost non existent, and we all know that sometimes setting hang on stands doesn't always go easily.
And I like to leave my tether long. I chose the 12 foot one with my kestrel. I can easily slip on down a couple steps if I need to change a step position or trim branches.

One of the most over looked advantages of owning a saddle is using it as a tool for hanging traditional stands.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I honestly switched because I like to tinker and wanted something hunting related to do in the off season. I made a DIY Kestrel Clone with my dad and it was a blast. I also like the feeling of having a completely dialed in setup. Using the forum you can use folks years of experience to find out what works and have a fairly dialed in setup before you ever get in the tree once. I knew if I hated it at least it was a fun project and I don’t mind lugging my lone wolf around.
Last week was my first sit in the saddle and it was a dream. To just wear it in and only have to carry my sticks was really nice. Up in the tree it was very comfortable and I actually found it easier to find shots and move around. Having the tree between me and approaching deer is a huge advantage. I am definitely going to sell my climber but will probably keep my loc on for at least another year or two as a back up.
I also think the community aspect of saddle hunting shouldn’t be underestimated either. It is great to be a part of a niche group with a common goal of continuing to try and perfect a system.

I switched because of the safety factor. There are many other reasons to go with it. Everyone talks about the weight savings etc. once I put the ropes pack, sticks harnesses etc. I lug in about 40 lbs., so in the scheme of things not really any lighter than I once was. Being able to have access to any tree is a plus. Now as a big guy I would not be in a tree like Boudreaux does. I am preferring something about the size of a basketball in width. Yet I hunted a poplar the other weekend that was much narrower.

324c01c443b9cefa59de1ddf2849d59f.jpg

And A million other reasons I’ll write when I’m not checking in from a tree. This pic makes this tree look way bigger than it is.

Back