• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Winter Bow Doe

Matty

Sep 18, 2014
Recently I noticed deer were crossing a road (from where I can't hunt) and into a big field (that I can hunt) right before dark. I actually have a stand in one of the far corners of this field, but the time that these deer are moving doesn't allow them to reach that stand until after dark.

I realized this year that someone needs to take some does on this property.

So today I grabbed my saddle and headed to where the deer seem to cross. There is a tree line right there that they pass through, so I parked where I usually do when I hunt that stand....I went about 80 yards down the tree line to where it looked like they cross through and I picked an "easy" tree with good cover. There were some better trees, but they would have been a little more complicated to climb and I didn't have a lot of time since it was already about 3:30.

So I started drilling my bolt holes and soon realized my drill was pretty weak. In my haste, I forgot my hand drill. I was able to drill 8 bolts high before it really started to die. I was able to get 2 more for my platform by switching torque settings back and forth...but I was basically spinning the drill by hand by the end. This put me at about 10-12' to my platform. Being this low is obviously not ideal, but I have pretty good cover for this time of year, so I'm confident.

About 15 minutes after I settled in, I heard a fox barking in the distance. He ended up running around the field a bunch of times barking but didn't find a mate. The closest he came to me was about 30 yards. I heard and saw him (or her) most of the hunt including screaming downwind of my kill later.

Finally around 5:10 I look behind me and here come the deer.

They literally walked right past my truck and into the field behind me, angling towards me. To my surprise, the lead buck is a shooter, followed by another nice buck. All together seven or more deer are making their way to me. The shooter buck actually comes within 20 yards but the way he angles through the tree line and away never gives me a good shot. Finally I have a small deer (I think it was a button) and a large doe come by me at 5 yards. It's not all that dark in the field, but I only have 5 minutes of legal shooting time left, so I draw back and as the doe gets to about 10 yards quartering away, I settle the pin and shoot. My lumenok disappears perfect and she takes off on fire.

She runs about 40 yards and piles up in the field.

Nice short drag since she angled towards the truck.

I'll have to see if I can get a shot at that buck now.

Attachments

• 1 21 2015 Doe.jpg
    1 21 2015 Doe.jpg
    352.6 KB · Views: 463

bigjoe

Jan 10, 2015
VA
Congrats. I have been trying to get out all week and work has been getting the way.

redsquirrel

Administrator
Staff member
SH Member
Feb 19, 2014
NJ
WEBSITE
saddlehunter.com
Nice doe Matty!

That's pretty awesome to see a shooter buck at this time of year! Hope you get a crack at him! I hope to get out at some point this weekend myself.

Matty

Sep 18, 2014
Thanks guys.

Yeah Red, I was totally shocked when I saw the lead deer was a nice shooter. Really caught me off guard. I was only hunting the spot because I had seen so many does crossing the street. I wasn't even expecting to see a buck. Amazingly though that night a small group of bucks led the way before the does came through. Kind of got me a bit more amped up for the rest of the season.

I actually love Winter bow anyway, it's second only to November during the rut in my book. The only thing that stinks is the ever increasing chance for a shooter buck to step out with only one side or no antlers. And you obviously have to be very careful managing the doe population because of shed bucks. Other than that, I love the cooler/cold weather and the fact I can process my deer more leisurely.

Hope you get out there Joe. Call out sick with "Deer Fever" if you have to. lol

Good luck when you get out guys!

bigjoe

Jan 10, 2015
VA
I actually wrote an absentee note for myself during gun season of my senior year in high school. I had just turned 18.

I explained I had "Buck Fever". Needless to say I got called into see the principal. He was an old Country Boy. I ended up getting my days off as excused.

Matty

Sep 18, 2014
Now that is funny! And you got them excused! lol
Thank God you had a great Principal!

I'm sure if you did that now adays the police, aspca, cdc and family services would be involved. They'd think there was some new outbreak of an unknown disease or that you were torturing animals or something. lol

bigjoe

Jan 10, 2015
VA
unfortunately your are correct, there are not as many people willing to give a kid a chance anymore. It helped that my father grew up with the principal. Hence the real reason for excused absence.

redsquirrel

Administrator
Staff member
SH Member
Feb 19, 2014
NJ
WEBSITE
saddlehunter.com
LOL. My father always used to call in sick for me during hunting season. It started out on our shotgun doe days, then when I could use the muzzleloader it was the first day of ML. I believe he just said that i had a "fever".

I saw 6 does last night Matty. I had a group of 4 come in right at the end of shooting light and by the time they were in range it was over and dark. I'm kinda getting the itch to get out there scouting in the snow now too so I'll probably do that today and just hunt saturday afternoons the next few weeks.

Matty

Sep 18, 2014
Yeah, my mom and dad used to call me out of school sometimes for hunting too. Probably a little too much. lol

I haven't been able to get out at all lately and I'm going through withdrawls. The season is basically coming to a close and even though I start to feel bad shooting deer trying to survive this cold & snow, I still like to get out and you never know if a nice buck is still holding.

Unfortunately though my truck may have bit the dust and since they don't seem to plow the WMA parking lots anymore, I can't park anywhere. With the big truck it's usually not a problem, but driving the car makes it impossible.

Oh well, just start shooting my bow more again I guess and start prepping for Spring Turkey....I doubt we'll see this snow melt down much anytime soon, especially with more on the way.

redsquirrel

Administrator
Staff member
SH Member
Feb 19, 2014
NJ
WEBSITE
saddlehunter.com
I'm starting to lose my motivation to hunt at this point in the year. I've been going out scouting instead. I got a set of snowshoes about 7-8 years ago and I really enjoy snowshoeing around scouting now for late season next year. I went out today for a couple hours and it kicked my butt. With the foot of snow we have with that layer of frozen snow on the top it made for some really tough travel. I did about 2 miles in 1 hour 40 minutes. I was seeing hardly any tracks and then when I did they would suddenly disappear. I realized the deer have been able to walk on top of the snow without breaking through lol.

That sucks about your truck! They are very inconsistent with the wma parking lots! I have started scouting spots for winter bow closer to the main parking lots anymore in hopes of having a place to park to get to my spot! Some of my spots where I pull off the side of the road are undoable once they plow the roads. This snow isn't going anywhere and its going to get frigid the end of next week.

Romellio

Sep 29, 2015
123 street
YAHOO
RomellioDavis@outlook.com
Congrats. Missed my chance today on a mature doe. Was about to release on a nice broadside shot when she turned 90 degrees and walked away. Had 2 small does behind her but have Em a pass. Winter bow is looking more promising than permit bow!

redsquirrel

Administrator
Staff member
SH Member
Feb 19, 2014
NJ
WEBSITE
saddlehunter.com
Romellio said:
Congrats. Missed my chance today on a mature doe. Was about to release on a nice broadside shot when she turned 90 degrees and walked away. Had 2 small does behind her but have Em a pass. Winter bow is looking more promising than permit bow!
Welcome to the site! Keep at it!