• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Wooden blocks for a platform project

ADKMtnTrapper

So on another thread I promised I would do a write up on how to build your own platform so I finally got together some pictures and such to share with everyone. Below you can see a drawing of the dimensions of the wood block.

20150322_124856_zpsm7hf8pqc_edit_1427045136208_zpshmvc3kku.jpg

So I began with cutting two strips of plywood 4" wide and about 30" long(just happened to be the length of the scrap piece) with a skill saw. This could have been done better with a table saw but i dont have mine set up in my basement so i opted for the quick fix. Then i screwed them together and used a speed square to mark my cuts.

20150322_114912_zpsxx9c9yoe.jpg

Then I simply used a chop saw and made the appropriate cuts at all the given angles. Then I decided to take it a step further and used some of the leftover camp paint I had on the shelf and colored em up!

I started with a green base and used some branches I had laying around from another project and used them as stencils while spraying a layer of tan.

20150322_125912_zps0iuokbvb.jpg

20150322_224621_zpsefvvyb75.jpg

Then some in the tree pictures.

20150327_142110_zpsmlss3zus.jpg

20150327_142102_zps08xts0oh.jpg

I will be putting a clear coat spray on them this weekend to help seal the moisture out and help protect the paint to. I tested them out before painting them and the work good very sturdy. Eventually I will be buying a strap and I ratchet or over the center bucket system to make up a few 5' length straps so I can have more than one to preset trees for a few days of hunting. I still may improve upon them or find something new but it was a quick cheap and easy project to get me started! Let me know what you think and share your DIY platforms I'm always looking for new projects!

Thanks, ADK

essdub said:
Those look great man. Yep, yet another idea I'll be borrowing from this forum. Thanks. Gonna try to build mine tomorrow.

Thanks man, put up some pics when you have a moment I'd love to see em.

Hey,
I built these out of 2x4 pieces a couple weeks ago when you first posted images.
I've had nothing but problems with them. Doesn't matter how tight I get them they want to move (slide on the strap) and
they want to roll over as well. I think a modified design is necessary but possible. Once I've reworked it I'll post images.

What I believe to be the main problem is the strap not coming in enough contact with the tree and also the top of the step
being higher than the strap. I believe if the step was lower than the strap (and the strap hole). The design would work much better and perhaps alleviate the issues I've had.

Thanks for posting your ideas, really helps guys like me!

What about some type of strapping on the inside of each step to run the strap through, keeping the strap much closer to the tree. Would this give it more stability?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's one of the things I was thinking about too. not sure how to pull it off yet. It will still need the offset step.

This might be something to consider. I have used this wooden climbing block design before. You need to wrap around the tree once, and then wrap around again on the outside of the step, and then tighten. When you step on the block, the wedge shape of the block will push down into the outside wrap and self-tighten even more. This design also gives the block 2 points of contact with the strap so all of the pressure isn't on just one point of the block. I don't know how well it would work on a platform with multiple blocks, but as single block, these things are solid.

Attachments

• tree_step.jpg
    tree_step.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 273
I made some with the same design as ADK. They worked well, but are a little more solid with a U-shaped groove running vertically along the surface that contacts the bark. It helps reduce the rolling problem.

Agreed that if there is not enough strap contact with the bark, they will roll. Tougher on thinner trees.

My only other gripe is that they are bulky.

Hey i noticed you guys revived this thread!

I havent done many updates but i am going to use and OTC buckle for putting it on the tree but agree with boone the U shaped groove does help. I am weighing some other options at this point because they are so bulky and no good way of packing them in. Although they are cheap enough to make you could always just leave at the base of the tree and just bring in your strap LOL!

I think i am going to try the 3/8 bolt with a bicycle pedal next to see if that would be worth a shot i know it would be rock solid!

This looks like a great option. What size plywood did you use? 3/4"? Also did you glue the boards together or just use screws?

I glued two pieces of 3/4" Baltic birch plywood. I screwed them together as well but removed them after glue dried because I didn't have enough clamps. Glue is stronger than screws here anyways.

I had some 3/4 6ply? Birch Laminate and i put some PL 200 subfloor glue in between and screwed them together. I have purposely left them out in the weather to see how they would hold up and they are starting to crack and peel. But they will work, i would like to find a more compact alternative. I was just thinking about it this morning i may have some 4" box steel tubing i could cut in 1" strips and weld a spot for the webbing but i dont know.

I am waiting for the ODIN steps boswell has been working on to see if they will be worth a shot.

Go pick up some plywood with more plies. I think the stuff I picked up from Menard's was 10 ply. More layers for the same thickness means more strength!

I stomped on mine on the tree and while I am only 155#, they held up well.

I just built a small platform out of wood this weekend, it all started when I went to my brothers to shoot out of a tree(we setup a 50yrd shooting range with a few trees to shoot from it was a blast) and didn't have a platform(it was in the mail) so I took a 4x4 chunk and put some notches in it to hold the strap, and I cut some groves to help grab the tree. It worked great, a little small so I built another model a little bigger, I weigh 195 and they both seemed pretty stable.

Now to figure out how to put a few steps on the side of the tree.

Oh it weighs 3lbs 7.2oz, without the strap, the ratchet strap I used was really heavy, need to try a smaller one.
9ad7d4640a25c1ad6e697c1824c1e100.jpg
f9f52e58410339cc10eb851508885887.jpg
d1be9fb75b346c49129787ed32b61274.jpg
6d8845798b9bb452366abec129df6ad6.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Back