• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Woodland annoyances

Exhumis

SH Member
In the spirit of having the electronic equivalent of sitting around the campfire shooting the bull, my mind wondered what annoys you guys and gals about the woods? I'll go first.
Any orb weaving spider. Period. I always seem to find every single one of their webs, usually with my face, and usually when I'm headed to my spot at O'dark 30 in the morning, so by the time I get to my tree I feel like I'm an extra in an Indiana Jones movie.

BARKING DOGS, non stop dirt bikes or atv's, kids SCREAMING.
I like quiet, peace and quiet . Where we live sounds travel very strangely we can hear the camp ground a mile away like it's in our back yard. Had a neighbor call me to warn we had someone partying in our woods. I want out to check . He was right you could hear the music plainly you could hear people laughing and talking. Nothing, got in truck and drove around until I got to the camp ground a mile away.

I also make ATVs part of my scowl-face regimen. The biggest public tracts around here are a thousand acres or so, and ATVs are illegal on almost all of them anyway.

This is my biggest pet peeve, its one of the reasons I don't ice fish anymore because I would go out and get infuriated with all the garbage that the "scum fisherman" would leave on the ice. Its just as big a problem in the woods though

I'll second trash. It's one of the reasons I enjoy going to states that don't allow baiting. It never fails, come September 1st in Louisiana, you'll start seeing empty corn bags on the side of the road anywhere near huntin' woods. I'm quickly reminded hunters, as a whole, are just like every other subset of the population.

I will add poison ivy - it seems to grown on every perfect tree I want to hunt.

And skeeters.

Ticks and trash for sure. AND DOGS. Most of the dogs I've run into on public wandered over from private and are friendly... but a few have been really agressive. These spots are on a military base so I can't carry my handgun. It's unnerving being charged by an aggressive dog when you're only holding a recurve in the darkness. I'm actually considering carrying bear spray this year when I hunt the spots where I've run into the mean ones.

Trash. I hate seeing trash in the woods and waters.
All right, you win . . . that is definitely my number one annoyance (even more than ticks and skeeters). Discarded water/gatorade bottles, beer cans, snack bar wrappers. . . someone carried it in, how hard is it to carry it out?

Also flagging tape tied throughout the woods. I pull every piece I pass down, carry it out and throw it away. If you can't navigate your way 75 yds along the pines/hardwoods edge without needing to mark a trail with a 2 foot length of flagging tape on every third tree maybe you should consider a different past time.

Also flagging tape tied throughout the woods. I pull every piece I pass down, carry it out and throw it away. If you can't navigate your way 75 yds along the pines/hardwoods edge without needing to mark a trail with a 2 foot length of flagging tape on every third tree maybe you should consider a different past time.
Yep. Blows my mind when I see flagged trails along transitions, creek banks, ridges, and even marked property lines!!

Illegal baiters. A lot of that goes on here.

Treestands left on public land

Those stupid glow tacks people use and flagging tape

Trail cameras on public land (I do it but it still annoys me especially when I get my photo taken)

Oh the single shot deeo in the woods that comes from out of town camps...when nothing is in season, except wood chucks

Back