• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Would you hunt this?

BlackpowderGuy (AJHS)

SH Member
This area is a little confusing to me, very large...would you hunt the area circled?

Attachments

• SC ARea.png
    SC ARea.png
    870.8 KB · Views: 68
not to sou nd douchy but, it totaly
depends I need alot more info to answer that

Fair enough...I should not have economized with my own words. Basically, the whole area is a combo of soybean and corn fields, the southern end runs down to a river, the northern boundary is a road, east is a body of water and west the same situation as depicted basically just goes on for a few miles. So the essence of the question is, since {as a newbie} I am frequently told to look for funnels, that circled piece of woods looks to me like a funnel so I was looking for validation/confirmation that on the assumption that there ARE deer in that area, is this a place where you would look to ambush them.

As a flat lander from the south I don't get to hunt areas like that very often, but if I did I would shift your circle to the left until it touched the creek keeping the drainage in the center. I would start my focus there because any deer moving east/west will travel across that peninsula you have circled and I'd want to see whats going on along the creek in a north/south direction. Also depends on whether you're looking for any legal deer vs a mature buck too. You really need to spend time on the ground looking for active trails and rub lines etc in order to fin tune things.

Can you explain what you mean by a bottleneck? {Again, remember newbie here) but why is the red circle, which is in between two fields any better than the black circle...the stream?
A narrow spot that is connecting 2 larger pieces of woods, your circle would be more of a staging area in my opinion, for rut activity like now I would rather be in that bottleneck area I circled, I would be willing to bet somewhere near my circle a nice runway is crossing that creek and very visible, depending on wind and cover would dictate on what tree I would pick to set up in, looks like a super good area to me and one I would love to hunt, obviously depending on if the right sign was there, looks good on a map though, I would 100% scout/hunt it.

Your black circle dead ends to hedge rows, in some states stuff like that doesn’t matter, lucrative areas like what’s found in Iowa, Kansas, etc., in a more realistic whitetail state, an average one, my red circle would be more productive, in my opinion, of all day rut hub movement, constant flow of deer, to and from those 2 larger pieces of woods, hope this helps.

That black area you circled is a good transition area and travel corridor. It connects to other fields to the east and deers can travel back and forth and feel protected. Given the creek runs north/south I’m gonna guess the wind does as well. If do, a buck might bed down in that black circled area with the wind at his back as he gazes out in front. In this manner he can “see” in front and back, has easy access to food source and can high tail it if necessary. It appears from the map it has a slight elevation so thermals might be an issue so it could be either a morning or afternoon spot.

All the information you need will be had by putting boots on the ground and scouting that area. Look for trails between bedding areas and food sources. Look for areas where deer have been browsing the crops and native vegetation. Look for tracks and scat. This time of year look for rubs and scrapes. One hour of boots on the ground scouting will give you way more info than anyone here can give you in a month from looking at a picture and talking about it.

Back