• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

XOP Climber seat as climber and platform?

justsomedude

I saw where the Lonewolf hand climber seat was being used as a climbing aid and platform. Any one try it with the XOP? They're only $85

I think if a guy could come up with a way to connect straps from the 2 outer corners and pull down like when used in conjunction with the lower, it could be a great option. Maybe a buckle strap around the tree about 1.5 ft below it with a couple sewn loops to connect the straps?

Too unstable as is?
I could imagine lateral wobble maybe
What if there was a locking over center buckle strap once you got in position?

I think if a guy could come up with a way to connect straps from the 2 outer corners and pull down like when used in conjunction with the lower, it could be a great option. Maybe a buckle strap around the tree about 1.5 ft below it with a couple sewn loops to connect the straps?

I have a sit and climb and until the top is locked to the bottom, its not stable at all. This would not handle any side loading if not loaded. Red has a lw hand climber, we need to get him to experiment.

Alukban here uses the Lonewolf Seat to climb (DIY Footstraps) and also as the platform.

I think the XOP is very similar but I read it was 1/2 pound lighter.

I would rather carry a climber seat than my climbing sticks

Here's a YouTube of a guy climbing using the seat

I think its a great concept however I think it would also be limited to certain trees as climbing treestands are used on. If it could be used on all types of trees like the leaners and stuff that would open up the possibilities. Going around branches would also be cumbersome unless you have already preset those.

I would use aiders to get around branches. I have aiders, climbing sticks and tree bolts as options.

If I could have a platform AND use it as a climbing method and it looks like it would fit on a pack.

That's what i do. i can put a good amount of side pressure on it.. here's a pic..

i put two rifle slings on it since i took the pic so i can wear it like a back pack. Or if i bring a back pack i connect it to the pack with a gear tie.

20160922_171943.jpg

That's what i do. i can put a good amount of side pressure on it.. here's a pic..

i put two rifle slings on it since i took the pic so i can wear it like a back pack. Or if i bring a back pack i connect it to the pack with a gear tie.

20160922_171943.jpg

How are you connecting this to stabilize it when placing side pressure on it??

You have to climb down under it to set up?

You would if you set up the platform first. I had tried doing that but it was a total PITA. I tried dangling and swinging a rope around while sitting on the platform and stuff but it took me a while and I was totally klutzing it and making a lot movements. I ended up climbing down a few feet and almost did not get back up. It may be easier to do after I get the Petzl I'D thingy that I had ordered. One can rappel down a couple of feet and then ascend with a pulley and stuff.

I just tie the platform around the tree with a trucker's hitch and it very stable (dark green accessory line).

037A3797-09CD-4FC0-A474-C6FF5215E3A5_zps3ykzt7be.jpg

About that "side load" thing, you can go sideways/around the tree and put "sideways force" on it as long as you are doing it with your FOOT ON THE PLATFORM and not on the side/edge of the platform.

I have mentioned before... I AM SCARED OF HEIGHTS! I tested this out at the base of a tree and practiced lots of times before I was confident enough to use it. (As a side note, I'm even thinking of using a hard hat while "saddling". Yep --> crazy.)

Really, just try it I guess.

I did take some vid a couple of years ago and you can tell how I go around the tree using the platform.

Please post up what tricks you figure out so I can try them too! :)

You have to climb down under it to set up?

i attach the strap around the tree a couple feet below where i want it, and then attach the other strap that goes to the stand. Then i climb until the slack is gone. I kneel on one leg, and reach down, and yank the strap tight. It locks the stand in place because of all the downward pressure on the outsde edge of the stand...

Alukban,
That looks stable enough in the video.
Understood about standing ON it.
I wonder if you could just add an extra strap that you lock down when in position.

I have a spare LW climber seat I was going to cut up for a different platform. I'll give this a try first.

HA HA

Nah dude! I'm thinking of just using the Bern multi-use hard hat that I already have for bike riding. Maybe I put a camo net over it or something :)

Back