• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Yet another backpack thread

Black Titan

So, school me on these backpacks. Understand first that I speak from a position of inexperience and never having had anything other than your basic hunting backpack with a waist strap.

What's the deal with all these $300, $400, and even $500 backpacks that is so special, and how do they benefit a saddle hunter? What are the benefits of a frame pack, for someone who doesn't plan to quarter and pack out? Is there any? Would the few items I carry in my pack benefit from having a frame added to it? I've never used a frame pack, either internal or external.

I used a tidewe 2200 size basic backpack last year and aside from it feeling like the pockets openings were too small, I never really had any issues. On colder days I threw my big windproof insulated jacket in a compression sack and attached it to my pack and it seemed fine.

Just curious as I've noticed there's often alot of discussion and hype on these kinds of packs, and I don't understand the benefits because I've never used one. What can they do, that my cabelas outfitter 2500 can't? I've whittled down my supplies that I pack in to a basic bare bones kill kit, basic first aid supplies, flashlight, calls/grunt tube, a little extra rope, and extra layers for colder hunts. I strap my one stick on to my pack and wear my saddle in.

This is no way meant as a dig to anyone running these kinds of packs, im honestly just curious what they can do that my pack can't.

so, talk me into one! Lol i'll visit the support thread later!

BT

If you aren’t carrying a deer out or backpacking to hunt a jansport will do everything you need it to. Everything else is fluff and nice to haves. If youre packing sticks a small semi rigid pack is nice to strap those to. I think you’re just looking for another reason to spend money. Packs are a quick way to depart from your money. Good luck.

old KUIU Venture 1800 or 2300 is what I’d go with. Probably find them $100 used. Packs sticks, platform, layers and any other hunting do dads no problem but doesn’t get in the way in the tree.

If you aren’t carrying a deer out or backpacking to hunt a jansport will do everything you need it to. Everything else is fluff and nice to haves. If youre packing sticks a small semi rigid pack is nice to strap those to. I think you’re just looking for another reason to spend money. Packs are a quick way to depart from your money. Good luck.

old KUIU Venture 1800 or 2300 is what I’d go with. Probably find them $100 used. Packs sticks, platform, layers and any other hunting do dads no problem but doesn’t get in the way in the tree.

Oh I'm not looking to spend money. I just got the cabelas 2500. I more or less said "talk me into one" to get people to explain what is so special about them. I'm not wanting one nor do I think I need one at this point. Just looking to understand what all the noise is about.

BT

Answers to why people use what they do and what works best for them for a bunch of packs

I've come to the conclusion that there is a keeping up with the Jones' vibe here, al be et subdued.

As for the packs and hunting goes... I use vests instead. Turkey vests to be exact. Lots of pockets to keep things tidy and quiet.
They work great.
Custom Gear Modifications has even recognized their value and offers modifications for them.

I've come to the conclusion that there is a keeping up with the Jones' vibe here, al be et subdued.

As for the packs and hunting goes... I use vests instead. Turkey vests to be exact. Lots of pockets to keep things tidy and quiet.
They work great.
Custom Gear Modifications has even recognized their value and offers modifications for them.

I've heard others mention the benefits of the turkey vests. I've never tried one. They would probably work great for early season I bet. How do you pack in extra layers and warmth in late season?

Like I said, I'm honestly just curious about the frame packs. As an example, I've seen it mention that they make things lighter. How does this work exactly? Is it just a matter of weight distribution? To me 50 pounds on my back is 50 pounds on my back, and if ive got a frame to start with, thats just adding more weight. But again, I've never used a frame pack so not sure how the concept would work.

BT

I've heard others mention the benefits of the turkey vests. I've never tried one. They would probably work great for early season I bet. How do you pack in extra layers and warmth in late season?

Like I said, I'm honestly just curious about the frame packs. As an example, I've seen it mention that they make things lighter. How does this work exactly? Is it just a matter of weight distribution? To me 50 pounds on my back is 50 pounds on my back, and if ive got a frame to start with, thats just adding more weight. But again, I've never used a frame pack so not sure how the concept would work.

BT
The frame allows to put most of that 50lb on your hips instead of your shoulders. After about 20lb it will be less strain overall if you can get it off your shoulders even if it adds some weight to the pack. Not only your shoulers get strained but the load on your shoulders restricts breathing slightly.

Frame pack has been the best gear purchase I’ve made in 20 years.

But I don’t wear in my bibs or coat or saddle and I usually carry 10lbs or more in climbing method and platform. So, our approach is dissimilar.

The primary benefit of a frame pack really comes down to what @samu just presented. But I think it happens at even lighter loads. It’s the miracle of load lifters. Without them, the weight of a load is felt pulling backwards and downwards and therefore shoulder straps get snugged tighter to counter the effect. Thusly, shoulders bear the brunt of the load, which is more fatiguing.

I have a horn hunter frame and a Pintler .Both work but the hh is faster to load / unload Tree stand and sticks. Both carry the weight super.

Last edited:
I’m built like a sneech so I want more weight on my hips.

A real hip belt, and load lifters accomplish this.

99.9% of what you read here and in back back videos and ads is signaling.

Walks less than half a mile under 30lbs require no help if you’re not enjoying the back 9 of your life.

Get past half a mile, and the time spend walking begins to make hip belts and load lifters, and importantly - the appropriate torso length of your pack, start to make sense.

If you hunt at a deer lease with a four wheeler, spend your money on beer and roof leaks.

If you hunt in sight of your truck, pay the truck note.

BT
I've never seen a turkey vest that does NOT have a game bag. That's where I put them when needed.

My frame pack is loaded with everything I need to de-bone a deer in the field and it stays in the truck during the hunt.
( Unlike out West, we really do have it easy here in Mid-West Whitetail country )

As others have said if your walking less than a mile and not packing out a deer than you probably don’t need a frame pack.

One of my deer this year was 4 miles round trip, had 500’ of elevation gain and my pack was less than 20# going in but 80# coming out. Some guys may be man enough to carry 80# on their back 2 miles without a frame pack but I ain’t one of them.

My personal involvement in pack threads on here also relate to western hunting which many on the forum do.

I think many, me included fall into the trap sometimes of assuming everybody deer hunts the same way but, there are a lot of different ways to hunt deer in a lot of different types of terrain. Use what works for your situation.

Thanks for the replies folks. Like I said, was just trying to gain an understanding as to what makes them better than a traditional backpack. I couldn't really wrap my head around more weight (frame and pack) = less weight (felt weight).

It's obvious they have their place in hunting, but not with the type of hunting I do here in the mountains of East TN.

Where I would see one to be a benefit for me would be for back country hiking/camping trips. I have a much larger backpack for that, but no frame, and that thing gets HEAVY with all the rations, kit, tent, bag, clothes, gear, etc. But now at 40 years old and a 4 year old kid with me, I think those type of excursions may be behind me, at least until he gets old enough to tag along.

I appreciate all the responses and explanations. Regardless of what I may post in the support thread, I'm not ALWAYS looking to part with more of my hard earned money lol. I actually think I'm pretty well set with everything, except a platform. And some eye to eye cords. And maybe some sticks. And a new bow. And maybe some new arrow shafts. And.......

BT

Thanks for the replies folks. Like I said, was just trying to gain an understanding as to what makes them better than a traditional backpack. I couldn't really wrap my head around more weight (frame and pack) = less weight (felt weight).

It's obvious they have their place in hunting, but not with the type of hunting I do here in the mountains of East TN.

Where I would see one to be a benefit for me would be for back country hiking/camping trips. I have a much larger backpack for that, but no frame, and that thing gets HEAVY with all the rations, kit, tent, bag, clothes, gear, etc. But now at 40 years old and a 4 year old kid with me, I think those type of excursions may be behind me, at least until he gets old enough to tag along.

I appreciate all the responses and explanations. Regardless of what I may post in the support thread, I'm not ALWAYS looking to part with more of my hard earned money lol. I actually think I'm pretty well set with everything, except a platform. And some eye to eye cords. And maybe some sticks. And a new bow. And maybe some new arrow shafts. And.......

BT
Less felt weight is a function a proper fitting pack with a good belt and functional load lifters. For comparison, the old kuiu venture I used had a frame sheet to give some rigidity, a good fitting belt and good shoulder straps. 80 pounds in that pack was completely doable for a while but over a mile it started becoming noticeable and by 2 miles it would start getting uncomfortable on the shoulders. 80 pounds on the kifaru is noticeably easier to carry but esp so when you start adding distance. It keeps the weight on your hips and positioned better on your body so you dont feel or fatigue from the weight nearly as quickly.

Less felt weight is a function a proper fitting pack with a good belt and functional load lifters. For comparison, the old kuiu venture I used had a frame sheet to give some rigidity, a good fitting belt and good shoulder straps. 80 pounds in that pack was completely doable for a while but over a mile it started becoming noticeable and by 2 miles it would start getting uncomfortable on the shoulders. 80 pounds on the kifaru is noticeably easier to carry but esp so when you start adding distance. It keeps the weight on your hips and positioned better on your body so you dont feel or fatigue from the weight nearly as quickly.

I've seen that term twice now, "load lifter". What is that and how/why does it work?

BT

BT

Frame packs aren’t necessarily heavy. For comparison:

Seek Outside Perigrine 3500 = 3lb 13oz
K4 2200 = 4lb 9oz

Weights of your current packs:

Tidewe 2200 = 3.7lbs
Cabelas 2500 Bow and Rifle pack= 4lb 10oz

I've seen that term twice now, "load lifter". What is that and how/why does it work?

BT
Basically it is a leverage point above where the shoulder straps would otherwise attach to the pack. It allows you tighten the weight in the pack to your back and also lift the load off your shoulders rather than the weight pulling down and away from your back. Better than a wife with an off button if you have big weight on your pack.

I couldn't really wrap my head around more weight (frame and pack) = less weight (felt weight).

Here's a dad experiment for you. Have your 4 yr old wrap their arms around your neck and hang off your back without using their legs and then walk around with them.

Now have them wrap their legs around your waist and loosen their arms and walk around with them. I bet you notice a difference.

Last edited:
Back