• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

You hunt out of a what!?

Murph4028

Vendor Rep
Jan 2, 2019
North Carolina
Not kidding I had the exact same thing happen to me at work today. He said what's that. So I told him and he kind of rolled his eyes like huh screw that and walked off. That's the usual response I get

Reactions: Country

boyne bowhunter

Staff member
SH Member
Aug 17, 2016
NW Michigan
Keep working on them. I think I've converted 3 guys from work with a 4th on the fence. That said, my regular hunting buddies are looking at me like me they did when I started using a climber 20 years ago. For the record they're all climber guys now for the last 10 years.

Edit: The comment I got then was "You're going to carry that in everytime you hunt?" . Now it's "How can that be comfortable?" As I tell them, I have climbers, if it wasn't comfortable I'd be back in one of those.

Last edited:

Cajunshooter

Jul 25, 2017
Yep, we are that weird. I belong to a local bow hunting forum of about 20,000 hunters. The most common response is “you’ve got to be crazy”.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Country

catman529

Jan 14, 2018
Saw a comment on a video of The Southern Outdoorsmen today. “Saddle hunters are like vegans in the way that they have to tell everyone that they’re a saddle hunter.” I couldn’t even argue with that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

swampsnyper

Mar 10, 2015
Warrior, Al
I just laugh we I go on a hunt with my buddies and they show up with their truck loaded with stands and sticks. I just pack an icechest, bag of clothes for the week and my back pack has everything needed to hunt and get in the tree. They are better hunters than me so what can I say. Lol.

SkylineReaper

Nov 5, 2018
We are definitely awesome there is nothing better than starting a conversation with somebody and you start talking about saddle hunting and you see them do the slow back away where they inch backward very slowly to get away from your conversation gotta love it!

Adrena123

Oct 20, 2016
MARYLAND
Long story short In 2011, my buddy and i hooked up with some guys to hunt and film with. We met up with them in the early morning hours. Right when we were about to walk off into the swamps, one guy asked me where my tree stand was. I said i'm wearing it and kind of showed him what it was. He said " ***, your hunting out of a SEX SWING!?!?! " Priceless

Country

Jun 7, 2018
Long story short In 2011, my buddy and i hooked up with some guys to hunt and film with. We met up with them in the early morning hours. Right when we were about to walk off into the swamps, one guy asked me where my tree stand was. I said i'm wearing it and kind of showed him what it was. He said " ***, your hunting out of a SEX SWING!?!?! " Priceless
LOL

Islandshooter

SH Member
Nov 19, 2018
Flagler Beach, FL
Every year I progress in my tactics/techniques. ..drives my Nebraska buddy crazy. I show up with rope mods, stick talons, Dan infalt tactics, etc and he just looks at me like, what?? Now I (we) are about to jump into saddle hunting. Still got our lone wolf's and rock harnesses, but I'm looking to lighten up considerably! Most of the guys where I live either run dogs, hunt from condo stands over food plots, or just hunt over bait with rifles. I don't even waste my time talking abouto hunting buck beds, hang and hunt, or any of that. It's a crazy world for sure, but I love it

Allegheny Tom

SH Member
Feb 4, 2018
Western Pennsylvania
Saddles are another example of..."If I have to explain it to you, then you probably won't understand".
I was talking to a lady at U Haul the other day who mentioned her daughter is a"bowhunter" (a crossbow girl, but that's another discussion).
I was shipping an old compound bow and needed a box so I went to U Haul. She saw the compound and laughed and asked if I was getting a new crossbow. I laughed and said..."No, I hunt with a recurve". I don't think she really even knew what a recurve was.
Then she pointed to a metal storage unit and said my daughter took one of those to cut up for "tree stands" (I assumed for shooting houses). Then she asked what kind of tree stands I liked. I replied "a tree saddle". Her: "huh?, what's that?" At that point, I already knew I was wasting oxygen trying to describe my world compared to her daughter's world. Yep, no way I could explain it to her so she'd understand.

Last edited:

catman529

Jan 14, 2018
Saddles are another example of..."If I have to explain it to you, then you probably won't understand".
I was talking to a lady at U Haul the other day who mentioned her daughter is a"bowhunter" (a crossbow girl, but that's another discussion).
I was shipping an old compound bow and needed a box so I went to U Haul. She saw the compound and laughed and asked if I was getting a new crossbow. I laughed and said..."No, I hunt with a recurve". I don't think she really even knew what a recurve was.
Then she pointed to a metal storage unit and said my daughter took one of those to cut up for "tree stands" (I assumed for shooting houses). Then she asked what kind of tree stands I liked. I replied "a tree saddle". Her: "huh?, what's that?" At that point, I already knew I was wasting oxygen trying to describe my world compared to her daughter's world. Yep, no way I could explain it to her so she'd understand.

If you put your perspective in the eyes of someone else, you can explain things a lot better, rather than assuming they won’t understand because they hunt differently than you.

Reactions: GCTerpfan

Allegheny Tom

SH Member
Feb 4, 2018
Western Pennsylvania
If you put your perspective in the eyes of someone else, you can explain things a lot better, rather than assuming they won’t understand because they hunt differently than you.

And by the way, I did try to explain it to her. It wasn't until after I tried that I realized she wasn't getting it.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

dalton916

SH Member
Sep 27, 2018
Outside of this site you can count on one hand the number of people who know I hunt from a saddle. That’s the way I like it.

Along those same lines I’ll back into the woods if a vehicle is coming down a road I’m walking down or crossing. I won’t park in a location that reflects where I’m going. If it looks like someone is hanging to see where I come from I have even gone so far as to loop around and come back to the truck in the exact opposite direction of where I’ve been hunting. If hunting by boat I hide my boat, etc.

Last edited: