• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Your favorite saddle for SRT and DRT

Jammintree

SH Member
Hello good people,

I have a saddle that I really like once I’m positioned at hunting height, but isn’t entirely comfortable / supportive while ascending. I can and probably will just learn to cope with it while climbing. It seems that many of the saddles on the market are probably designed for Hunters that ascend on some kind of steps. I’ve been looking at possibly getting a second saddle and have one in mind, but thought I’d ask all of you before I take a shot in the dark: Have any of you found a saddle that works well for rope climbing?

Hello good people,

I have a saddle that I really like once I’m positioned at hunting height, but isn’t entirely comfortable / supportive while ascending. I can and probably will just learn to cope with it while climbing. It seems that many of the saddles on the market are probably designed for Hunters that ascend on some kind of steps. I’ve been looking at possibly getting a second saddle and have one in mind, but thought I’d ask all of you before I take a shot in the dark: Have any of you found a saddle that works well for rope climbing?
Personally I love my diy saddle since I do about 80% of my climbing on a moving rope system. It has a good amount of cupping, a strong adjustable bridge with a double wrap girth hitch on each bridge loop. I can slide it down low and it locks in and provides the perfect amount of under bite. I had a kestrel, a hawk hammock and a cruzr xc, of the three the kestrel is the most comfortable to me, followed by the cruzr. The hawk isn’t applicable because the bridge doesn’t adjust and it provides little cupping action. To be comfortable in that fully seated climbing position, you need something that has the ability to provide a ton of cupping and an adjustable bridge. I’ve never tried an H2 but I hear they are good for this. I know for fact the old aerohunter kestrel and flex were the best for rope climbing. I’m assuming the new aerohunter Merlin or flex would be just as amazing. And the cruzr xc fits that bill as well because you can expand the pleat, shorten the bridge and adjust the prusiks on the bridge loops. Saddles that have cup and adjustable bridges are the best for rope climbing systems especially if you stay on your climbing line instead of a tether at height.

When I SRT, I'm climbing for only a few minutes and don't care about comfort. I have SRT ascended in a Tethrd Mantis, a Tethrd Phantom, a Cruzr XC, an Overwatch Transformer, a Notch Sentry, and various rock climbing harnesses, honestly, I haven't noticed a difference in any of them for SRT.

I made my own that is low enough for comfortable sitting with a waist belt for safety.

The only thing that I strongly recommend is either a short "climbing" bridge or a good adjustable bridge. Shorter is better when climbing, for me.

100%, the short bridge is the key. I tried SRT just for fun at home with Recon, TL Ambush, RCH, DIY stuff. and the key is always a short bridge. RCH was probably the easiest because the attachment point is exactly center to your pelvis area which is ideal. I seen videos of people SRT with JX3 Hybrid too.

My suggestion, if your saddle is great for hunting height which is 99% of the time you are using it, dont try to get something that is more 'comfortable' for the 1% at the cost of the 99%.

BUT if you want to get another saddle, just get one!

100%, the short bridge is the key. I tried SRT just for fun at home with Recon, TL Ambush, RCH, DIY stuff. and the key is always a short bridge. RCH was probably the easiest because the attachment point is exactly center to your pelvis area which is ideal. I seen videos of people SRT with JX3 Hybrid too.

My suggestion, if your saddle is great for hunting height which is 99% of the time you are using it, dont try to get something that is more 'comfortable' for the 1% at the cost of the 99%.

BUT if you want to get another saddle, just get one!
Man I climbed in an old RCH once, after a couple minutes it was digging into my legs so bad. I remember thinking why in the world would a mountain climber wanna wear this all day. Then I saw videos of how they climb versus how we ascend and it made a little more sense. They use the crannies and ledges to help climb and alleviate pressure, I was sitting in my harness and advancing from the seated position. Needless to say hunting saddles are all way more comfy for climbing a rope system

A saddle is just a bosun's chair for a tree.
It is but it isn’t. I have heard of guys using a RCH and a bosun’s chair to hunt from. I have an idea with a similar set up if I ever get it exactly the way I want it, I’ll share with everyone once I figure out how to shrink the file small enough to upload it.

It is but it isn’t. I have heard of guys using a RCH and a bosun’s chair to hunt from. I have an idea with a similar set up if I ever get it exactly the way I want it, I’ll share with everyone once I figure out how to shrink the file small enough to upload it.
My DIY saddle has evolved into a bosun's chair. The rigid seat eliminates hip pinch. Ask any JX3 user.

My DIY saddle has evolved into a bosun's chair. The rigid seat eliminates hip pinch. Ask any JX3 user.

I’ve actually used a bosun chair to do repairs on riggers for a boat before. It doesn’t pinch at all. My butt didn’t like the harder seat for more than 30 minutes though lol I guess I was too bony back in the day. I like your set up though!

I’ve actually used a bosun chair to do repairs on riggers for a boat before. It doesn’t pinch at all. My butt didn’t like the harder seat for more than 30 minutes though lol I guess I was too bony back in the day. I like your set up though!

Yeah, it seems like alot of the commercial saddles are designed for climbing up steps and standing on a platform. As someone who used to do arborculture work Im familiar with being in an arborist saddle and so my meager little hunting saddle just feels minimal while Im climbing. Its great once im in position, but getting up the tree I feel a little naked. So, I've been trying to figure out if my current saddle, a Phantom is not a great DDRT saddle or if I'm just used to a different feel. I can tolerate imperfect comfort on a short climb up a tree, but if a deer ever comes along mid climb, I'm hard pressed to imagine I can comfortably hang out in my current saddle for very long, without something to stand on.

Yeah, it seems like alot of the commercial saddles are designed for climbing up steps and standing on a platform. As someone who used to do arborculture work Im familiar with being in an arborist saddle and so my meager little hunting saddle just feels minimal while Im climbing. Its great once im in position, but getting up the tree I feel a little naked. So, I've been trying to figure out if my current saddle, a Phantom is not a great DDRT saddle or if I'm just used to a different feel. I can tolerate imperfect comfort on a short climb up a tree, but if a deer ever comes along mid climb, I'm hard pressed to imagine I can comfortably hang out in my current saddle for very long, without something to stand on.
I bought a phantom on release day and climbed DRT with it once and sold it. The OG Flex or Cruzr XC are far more comfortable and supportive while climbing.

I’m surprised with you coming from the arborist world that you didn’t go for an aerohunter saddle. They are made by New Tribe which is one of the largest arborist saddle companies in the US. I personally climb DRT and wouldn’t dream of using something as small as the saddle you have. There are several companies that make good deep cup saddles or expanding pleat saddles with an adjustable bridge that work great for climbing rope systems. The original kestrel and the flex are probably the number one on most people’s list.

I’m surprised with you coming from the arborist world that you didn’t go for an aerohunter saddle. They are made by New Tribe which is one of the largest arborist saddle companies in the US. I personally climb DRT and wouldn’t dream of using something as small as the saddle you have. There are several companies that make good deep cup saddles or expanding pleat saddles with an adjustable bridge that work great for climbing rope systems. The original kestrel and the flex are probably the number one on most people’s list.
Yes, I've learned all these thing after the fact. There's alot of information to sift through to find the goods. I was also under the impression that the current AH new flex wasn't as supportive as the older models.

Yes, I've learned all these thing after the fact. There's alot of information to sift through to find the goods. I was also under the impression that the current AH new flex wasn't as supportive as the older models.
Seems they went from 1.75” webbing to a thinner 1” tubular webbing and a slightly smaller weight profile. I’m not sure about the support per say but I’ve heard where the two 1” straps meet that the bottom seems to pull in causing uneven weight distribution. They had the best saddles on the market in my opinion, I am not sure why they went away from that unless they just wanted to change up the look because several other companies copied their design.... It’s sad too because I really want a Kite. I know the flex is great and people love the kestrel, but I borrowed a Kite from a buddy of mine for a couple weeks just to try it and I absolutely loved it.

The Cruzr XC will give you every bit of comfort the OG Flex did. I own both and its hard to tell the difference.

Frankly, if aerohunter hadn't changed their design I would have bought one of their saddles brand new, without question.

Is the Cruzr made as well? Its hard to judge any of these things without seeing and feeling them.

Back