• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Your go to set up for warmth..

DanielB89

Nov 17, 2017
Monroe, LA
I have a huge problem when hunting... I sweat like crazy if my body is active. When I'm walking in, no matter the temp, I have to wear minimal clothing. I am not sure how to combat it. It has been my biggest challenge while hunting cold weather. In Louisiana it doesn't get as cold as some of you have to deal with which is why I feel it would be good to learn from you!

My typical regiment for getting in a stand(non saddle, not sure how to work a saddle into cold weather).

Walk in wearing nothing but base layer. This walk is typically anywhere from 1/4 to 1 1/2 miles. Even with temps in the teens and a swift wind, i get sweaty walking in.

When I get to the tree, i'll hand my stand or climber, then sit in the stand until I begin to get cool, which is usually ~ 30 or so minutes. Then i'll slowly start to piece together my hunting attire(layering) as needed. The Problem is there is no way I can swing this in a saddle and I would really like the weight advantage of the saddle.

A potential change I have been thinking about trying is to get everything hung, then climb down, cool off, get dressed, and then ascend again. I'm just now sure how to work all this out. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

elk yinzer

SH Member
Oct 23, 2017
State College, PA
I am the same way. I walk in wearing just a merino t-shirt, even down into the 20s.

All the saddle does is makes adding bottom layers very difficult. I put on my puffy pants at the base of the tree under my saddle.

Once I am at hunting height and cooled down I add my top layers (wool shirt, woodbury jacket, neck gaiter and hat). Also boot blankets which are the greatest invention ever.

Reactions: DanielB89

Squirrels

Oct 29, 2017
Try getting to your tree take a solid 10 minute break and just sit. Then very slowly climb and setup. Trying not to make a noise of any kind will help force you to slow down. Give it a try, may not help. Obviously you will have to put all your bottom layers on prior to climbing. Put the upper layers on after you are setup and cooled down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: KRN and DanielB89

Arkrider

Aug 1, 2016
Central Arkansas
Hahaha...I'm exactly the same. Doesn't matter how cold it is, I'll begin my hike of 1-2 miles, miserably cold with just base layers. When I get to my destination, I'll hoist my clothes up with my pack or bundle them together with shock cord and use a small grapple on my gear hoist to fetch them from the ground after I cool off. Trust me, you can still get in them with the saddle on. Pants are a little challenging but you'll figure out how to shimmy into em. It's just a matter of learning what process works best for you.

Don't be scared...just climb aboard and never look back! LOL

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: DanielB89

elk yinzer

SH Member
Oct 23, 2017
State College, PA
I have never used the boot blankets, but currently use the artic shields.

Do you use them in conjunction with hand warmers?

I have the arctic shields. I just call them boot blankets for some reason. I don't use handwarmers. I wear uninsulated leather boots and the arctic shields get me into the 20s. I don't generally hunt late season so it never gets colder than that. But I do run warm. I know guys that can walk in insulated coveralls and not break a sweat. I would die of a heat stroke doing that.

DanielB89

Nov 17, 2017
Monroe, LA
i've got a buddy who walks in completely dressed when we hunt together and were talking about over a mile. I am super jealous of him!

you'd think being so hot natured it would make keeping warm easier, I've found the opposite. The sweat makes me freeze!

FrigidArrows

Sep 13, 2018
Minnesota
I hunted last weekend. Was around 38 degrees I walked in wearing barely anything, but my first base layer ended up getting drenched. I stripped down to nothing on my upper body, and packed the sweat ridden base layer into my bag. I then sat there in 38 degree with no shirt on for ten minutes or so. Its crazy when your body gets heated up from a hike, it didn't feel cold it all, it felt great. Once the heat feeling started to turn into the chill, and my skin felt pretty dry, I started re dressing, slowly. Waffle layer, sat until I felt chill, fleece layer, so on and so forth. Was completely dressed and feeling dry and warm right as I could start to see my pin. Stayed warm whole time until I got down 4 hours later. Sweat is a killer, and after that experience, I am going to plan on removing layers that feel remotely wet every sit I make in the cold.

ricky racer

Aug 8, 2016
Niles/Buchanan, MI
You all probability know by now I'm a Wiggy's fan. In my view, nobody knows more about warmth or proper insulation than Wiggy. All US Marine fighter pilots and US Air Force bommer pilots have Wiggy riding with them. Attached to every ejection seat is a vacuum sealed survival kit consisting of Wiggys products for survival in extreme cold weather climates.

Anyway, here's an excerpt from Wiggy’s website regarding fishnet underwear. I wear fishnet undies every time out, not just to be sexy:cool: but to stay as comfortable as possible.

"The most important layer of clothing you wear in a cold climate is your first layer, your underwear. Fishnet long underwear made from nylon is the absolute best first layer. Wiggy fishnets are made from nylon yarn, knitted in a pattern that is a 3/8" mesh hole, 1/16" thick. The human body emits moisture through its pores continuously. If this moisture is stifled from getting away from the skin surface, the body loses heat to the moisture very quickly. When covering the body with fishnets, the moist vapor leaving the body is not inhibited in its movement from the body by the fabric. Cotton, wool, and silk underwear absorb the moisture, which in turn doubles the number of elements that will absorb your heat. If your wear a synthetic underwear that is traditionally knitted, regardless of the yarn, polyester or polypropylene, it stifles movement of the moisture. Hence, the moisture stays on the skin surface, which absorbs your heat.
Fishnets have additional qualities. Since the mesh has a very limited surface area, conductive heat loss is minimal. When you wear underwear that touches most of your body, it conducts heat from your skin surface. The feeling you have when wearing fishnets is that of a layer of warm air around your body. If the layers over the loose fitting fishnets are also loose fitting, as they should be, movements will cause a bellows effect. If you have an open neckline, the moisture-laden air will move freely out of the neck opening and not be forced through your clothing. Vapor will take the course of least resistance as liquid does.
As to the origin of fishnet or string garments (underwear), there are stories that fisherman would cover themselves with their nets, and also make garments from the nets.we do know that as early as the time around the First World War a Norwegian Army officer encouraged his men to wear string vests for marching and skiing. These were sleeveless undershirts, crocheted from a string like yarn. From these garments we developed the modern fishnet garments.
The fishnet garments are the most satisfactory articles of clothing. They satisfy all requirements for correct physiological clothing, both when the body is active and inactive, and for various climates and temperatures. They provide a static layer of air around the body. This causes the insulation and makes it possible for perspiration to evaporate.
The human skin becomes damp when the body is warm, and it must then lose its surplus heat. The function of perspiration is to draw heat from the skin and thereby cool the body. In order that perspiration shall function properly it must evaporate and not be absorbed by the clothes. If this evaporation process is hindered, the body will react with increased perspiration, which causes unnecessary stress on the human body.
When wearing fishnet underwear as a first layer to keep warm when it feels cold, button up and close openings in outer garments. The result is highly efficient insulation, mechanically much like wearing Lamilite outerwear. When the body is active and becomes warm and cooling off is needed, unbutton and open openings in the outer garment, allowing hot air to escape and it the moisture you have generated will escape as well, thereby allowing body to cool down. In mild or warm weather, wear under a lose fitting shirt or alone, and it will allow the body to ventilate properly.
Our well being increases when the body surface is open to the air. There should be little contact between clothing and skin, and in this connection the fishnet garments have great advantages. The fishnets are a barrier between the skin surface and the clothing, the mesh openings in the fishnet prevents contact between clothing and skin."

Mauk9800

Sep 2, 2018
I have the arctic shields. I just call them boot blankets for some reason. I don't use handwarmers. I wear uninsulated leather boots and the arctic shields get me into the 20s. I don't generally hunt late season so it never gets colder than that. But I do run warm. I know guys that can walk in insulated coveralls and not break a sweat. I would die of a heat stroke doing that.
I do the same thing on the boot blankets I've worn them for years

SH4896

Dec 5, 2017
Wisconsin
You all probability know by now I'm a Wiggy's fan. In my view, nobody knows more about warmth or proper insulation than Wiggy. All US Marine fighter pilots and US Air Force bommer pilots have Wiggy riding with them. Attached to every ejection seat is a vacuum sealed survival kit consisting of Wiggys products for survival in extreme cold weather climates.

Anyway, here's an excerpt from Wiggy’s website regarding fishnet underwear. I wear fishnet undies every time out, not just to be sexy:cool: but to stay as comfortable as possible.

"The most important layer of clothing you wear in a cold climate is your first layer, your underwear. Fishnet long underwear made from nylon is the absolute best first layer. Wiggy fishnets are made from nylon yarn, knitted in a pattern that is a 3/8" mesh hole, 1/16" thick. The human body emits moisture through its pores continuously. If this moisture is stifled from getting away from the skin surface, the body loses heat to the moisture very quickly. When covering the body with fishnets, the moist vapor leaving the body is not inhibited in its movement from the body by the fabric. Cotton, wool, and silk underwear absorb the moisture, which in turn doubles the number of elements that will absorb your heat. If your wear a synthetic underwear that is traditionally knitted, regardless of the yarn, polyester or polypropylene, it stifles movement of the moisture. Hence, the moisture stays on the skin surface, which absorbs your heat.
Fishnets have additional qualities. Since the mesh has a very limited surface area, conductive heat loss is minimal. When you wear underwear that touches most of your body, it conducts heat from your skin surface. The feeling you have when wearing fishnets is that of a layer of warm air around your body. If the layers over the loose fitting fishnets are also loose fitting, as they should be, movements will cause a bellows effect. If you have an open neckline, the moisture-laden air will move freely out of the neck opening and not be forced through your clothing. Vapor will take the course of least resistance as liquid does.
As to the origin of fishnet or string garments (underwear), there are stories that fisherman would cover themselves with their nets, and also make garments from the nets.we do know that as early as the time around the First World War a Norwegian Army officer encouraged his men to wear string vests for marching and skiing. These were sleeveless undershirts, crocheted from a string like yarn. From these garments we developed the modern fishnet garments.
The fishnet garments are the most satisfactory articles of clothing. They satisfy all requirements for correct physiological clothing, both when the body is active and inactive, and for various climates and temperatures. They provide a static layer of air around the body. This causes the insulation and makes it possible for perspiration to evaporate.
The human skin becomes damp when the body is warm, and it must then lose its surplus heat. The function of perspiration is to draw heat from the skin and thereby cool the body. In order that perspiration shall function properly it must evaporate and not be absorbed by the clothes. If this evaporation process is hindered, the body will react with increased perspiration, which causes unnecessary stress on the human body.
When wearing fishnet underwear as a first layer to keep warm when it feels cold, button up and close openings in outer garments. The result is highly efficient insulation, mechanically much like wearing Lamilite outerwear. When the body is active and becomes warm and cooling off is needed, unbutton and open openings in the outer garment, allowing hot air to escape and it the moisture you have generated will escape as well, thereby allowing body to cool down. In mild or warm weather, wear under a lose fitting shirt or alone, and it will allow the body to ventilate properly.
Our well being increases when the body surface is open to the air. There should be little contact between clothing and skin, and in this connection the fishnet garments have great advantages. The fishnets are a barrier between the skin surface and the clothing, the mesh openings in the fishnet prevents contact between clothing and skin."

Very cool ,never heard of Wiggy's. Also, these might be the ticket for saddle hunters!
https://www.wiggys.com/clothing-outerwear/marine-wear/leg-jackets/

BudgetBuck1

Oct 20, 2017
Hickory, NC
I would just climb your tree twice. It doesn't take long. Hang your sticks and stand, come back down, rest a minute, put on your warm layers and climb back up very slowly so as not to sweat. Also, change your socks before you go up.

Reactions: rutjr

ricky racer

Aug 8, 2016
Niles/Buchanan, MI
My advice is call Jerry (he's Wiggy and most likely will answer the phone) and talk directly to him. Tell him what you're going to be doing with them and ask him for the quietest material he can provide. For an additional $10 you can get them in Ducks Back (waterproof material). Some material is quieter than others. Ask him about sizing.
You can have him send you a swatch of material as well in you want.

SH4896

Dec 5, 2017
Wisconsin
My advice is call Jerry (he's Wiggy and most likely will answer the phone) and talk directly to him. Tell him what you're going to be doing with them and ask him for the quietest material he can provide. For an additional $10 you can get them in Ducks Back (waterproof material). Some material is quieter than others. Ask him about sizing.
You can have him send you a swatch of material as well in you want.
Just talked with Jerry, super nice guy. He wanted me to thank you for suggesting Wiggy's. Will definitely buy from them again.

Reactions: ricky racer

ricky racer

Aug 8, 2016
Niles/Buchanan, MI
Reference wiggy's had anyone tried the lamolite socks?

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

I've got a pair of his socks but I wear them in rubber boots. I think if they were worn in leather, vapor permeable boots they'd work great since the Lamilite insulation dries so quickly. Your feet would remain dry with his socks. In rubber boots there's no place for the moisture to go so I don't really see any advantage using them at least not yet I haven't.
Here's a video of a user of his socks...