• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Your tree choice?

Wrfjrf1978

Before I started learning how to saddle hunt I used a Summit Viper climbing stand which meant I had to find a fairly straight tree with no branches before the height I needed to get to. Sometimes these trees were not where I wanted to hunt.This is actually why I am moving to a saddle.

So far I still look for trees without branches up to hunt height so I'm wondering what kind of tree do you look for when you hunt? Straight? Bent? Multiple trunk? Lots of branches?

Care to share a picture of a tree that you like to hunt out of so I can get a visual on what I can do while saddle hunting?

Thanks in advance for any pictures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think there is another thread around on this topic too.
When looking for a tree, first priority is location, the versatility of the saddle allows me to be in whatever tree I need to be in. Then I look for a tree with either a y or a fork, those are my favorite cause they offer tons of cover. Next option would be a large tree that offers me lots of trunk to hide behind. If they are not available I will go up and hunt just below the canopy.

With a saddle the tree type doesnt matter as long as its not a DEAD TREE, I hunt purely based on location.

I stay away from leaners, that's about it. I do prefer a tree I can reach around because that means I can tie in easily and be safe.

Back