• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

zero turn mower recommendations

If he doesn't mind standing while he mows a walk-behind with velky(a pull behind cart you stand on) will make his yard look awesome and will last forever!

I have a Grasshopper with a front deck and used it for several years but I've gone back to a John Deere garden tractor with a 54" deck, power steering, hydro static transmission and on board hydraulics. The garden tractor is much more enjoyable to drive plus a zero turn has only one purpose, to mow grass. A garden tractor can mow grass, blow snow, till a garden, pull a trailer. Myself, I feel the zero turn mowers are more of a fad however if I had a lot of stuff to mow around, or was mowing a cemetery I would want a zero turn but for home, I'll take a good garden tractor any day.

I agree, ZTR's are nice but walk behinds are still very effective machines. Especially a belt drive can be had relatively inexpensively and last a homeowner a lifetime. They can also be more turf friendly due to lighter weight. Modern commercial mowers are getting so heavy I see rutting everywhere these days.

Tell him not to get a residential model. Unless he gets it very cheap and expects to work on it and it not last. Also it’s hard to find parts for a lot of less common brands or even less common versions of common mowers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a 48" gravely. I know approx 1.5 acres. I'd stay away from the ones at lowes or home depot. Look for one with a welded deck, makes sure you have filters on the pumps. Light commercial grade are a little heavier duty the the residential models. They arent the greatest on hills or steep banks. Deflating the rear tires just a few psi helps alot.

Tell him not to get a residential model. Unless he gets it very cheap and expects to work on it and it not last. Also it’s hard to find parts for a lot of less common brands or even less common versions of common mowers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The problem here is he does not want to spend enough to get anything but a residential model because when you go commercial they start at around $4000!

Back