• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Which Saddle

Weisman125

Hey guys. I'm a demolition contractor and recently discovered a Guidos Web in a building I needed to tear down. There was no tag or logo and I had no idea what it was but it was camo so knew it was hunting related. It sat in my garage for 6 months before I did some research and found out what it was. I'd never heard of saddle hunting. After finally sticking it on a tree in the yard, I was hooked on the concept of hunting from a saddle...just not in the web. Although it's extremely comfortable, it's too big and bulky and really not practical for the way I hunt. After DIYing a platform from an old big game boss stand, I made it work for a few hunts this year to try out the concept and I am hooked already (obsessed). In the last 2 months I have watched every video on Youtube I can find on tips, reviews, tactics, etc and now am trying to decide which saddle to buy. BTW thank you to all of you that post content for noobs and other DIYers like me.

Now it's time for me to buy a saddle to suit my needs. I think I'm set on a Mantis but the Kestrel Flex has me intrigued. I'm a bigger guy at 5'11" 250lb 38"waist and I from some videos I've watched, the Flex sounds more comfortable for me. Is the Flex actually that much more comfortable and is it worth it? I love the minimalist style of the Mantis and not sure if I want the extra bulk/weight of the flex. What size would you recommend for each? I found myself being more of a leaner in the Web even with the whale tail digging into my thighs but I'm sure I'd do more sitting on longer rut hunts.

Also, are there any other saddles I should consider? Do Tethrd or Aero Hunter have any new products that may be coming for ATA or something that I should wait on?

Thanks for the help guys. Looking forward to joining the community and hopefully recruiting a few more members next year.

I've got about 50 pounds on you to give you a understanding of my size. I purchased a guido's web a while back and like you I did not like it. The whale tail was too big, it was heavy and it made me sweat like crazy. This year I have purchased a mantis and a jx3 (updated guido's web). As of now I prefer the jx3 over the mantis. I have not tried the areo hunter but I can say that the mantis is comfortable. If you are used to being on your feet all day and want mobility and less weight, I'd go with the mantis.

There are other saddles out there besides the mantis and aero’s. A lot of guy on here seem like they’re trying out trophy line tree saddles. There’s also H2 saddles. I never would have known about these if it weren’t for the forums here. I was very interested in the aero kestrel and flex models. Wasn’t a fan of the high price and long wait time so I decided to try out an H2 saddle. It’ll be my first saddle and I’m excited to try it. Decided to go with the H2 because it looked to be the most similar to the kestrel but a good amount cheaper and am able to get it in about 10 days instead of 8+ weeks.

I tried a JX3 and it was super comfortable. I honestly could not get it to work for me though. I think I was the problem and not the saddle though. I sold it to be able to fund this H2 saddle and a set of hawk helium sticks. In hind sight I sort of feel like I didn’t give the JX3 a fair shot but I really wanted to do a more minimalist style of saddle hunting to begin with. Once I get more experience with saddle hunting in general, I may give a JX3 another shot.

Anyway, you might consider checking out these other less known saddle companies before you go one way or the other. You’ll save some money and get in the game a lot faster instead of having to wait until next season. Just a thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've got about 50 pounds on you to give you a understanding of my size. I purchased a guido's web a while back and like you I did not like it. The whale tail was too big, it was heavy and it made me sweat like crazy. This year I have purchased a mantis and a jx3 (updated guido's web). As of now I prefer the jx3 over the mantis. I have not tried the areo hunter but I can say that the mantis is comfortable. If you are used to being on your feet all day and want mobility and less weight, I'd go with the mantis.

How's the jx3 when trying to put on a coat in the stand? Here in Nebraska we've had days this year where you're sweating in a long sleeve shirt all afternoon but need a fairly heavy coat once the magic hour hits. That was a pain in the Guidos.

There are other saddles out there besides the mantis and aero’s. A lot of guy on here seem like they’re trying out trophy line tree saddles. There’s also H2 saddles. I never would have known about these if it weren’t for the forums here. I was very interested in the aero kestrel and flex models. Wasn’t a fan of the high price and long wait time so I decided to try out an H2 saddle. It’ll be my first saddle and I’m excited to try it. Decided to go with the H2 because it looked to be the most similar to the kestrel but a good amount cheaper and am able to get it in about 10 days instead of 8+ weeks.

I tried a JX3 and it was super comfortable. I honestly could not get it to work for me though. I think I was the problem and not the saddle though. I sold it to be able to fund this H2 saddle and a set of hawk helium sticks. In hind sight I sort of feel like I didn’t give the JX3 a fair shot but I really wanted to do a more minimalist style of saddle hunting to begin with. Once I get more experience with saddle hunting in general, I may give a JX3 another shot.

Anyway, you might consider checking out these other less known saddle companies before you go one way or the other. You’ll save some money and get in the game a lot faster instead of having to wait until next season. Just a thought.

Looks like I'll be doing some more research before making a decision. Wish I had someone local that had a few to try out.

How's the jx3 when trying to put on a coat in the stand? Here in Nebraska we've had days this year where you're sweating in a long sleeve shirt all afternoon but need a fairly heavy coat once the magic hour hits. That was a pain in the Guidos.
It can be done. I take the shoulder straps off when I get to hunting height. It allows more from freed up to make shots

Looks like I'll be doing some more research before making a decision. Wish I had someone local that had a few to try out.

I hear ya. I don’t have anyone local either. I’m just kind of taking a shot in the dark with the one I bought. Hoping it will work well. Then again I won’t know the difference between it and others so maybe doesn’t matter.

I hear ya. I don’t have anyone local either. I’m just kind of taking a shot in the dark with the one I bought. Hoping it will work well. Then again I won’t know the difference between it and others so maybe doesn’t matter.

Great point.

It's not much, but I had my first saddle hunt today with a Weanas Thick harness I got for $50 off eBay. I've watched this forum for a bit before subscribing and seen a lot of the popular youtube channels/videos and came to understand two things. First, saddle hunting has been, and still is, a DIY-what-fits-you approach to hunting. Second, there is a clear digital marketing campaign to define the saddle hunting space around Tethrd and Aerohunter. What I've found: While those both seem to be great products, there are still a lot of other, satisfactory solutions in this space and no one should feel that NEED one of those solutions. I saddle hunted tonight for the first time in a setup that cost $200, that's the cost of a Mantis saddle and I was able to do the whole shebang for that price. Not knocking Tethrd, from what I've watched they make a great product, just offering personal experience in line with OPs ask.

how many manufacturers are there out there now. I herd of 4 now and wanting to get one for next year. I hunt with a crossbow so hopeing it will work with it.

There’s at least 4 that I know of. Tethrd, Aero Hunter, Trophyline and H2. Theres also one that Wild Edge sells or will be soon. Called the Karak or something like that. Can’t remember now. But Aero Hunter makes it. Looks a lot like the Aero Hunter Kite. There’s also regular climbing gear companies that could work too. Some people just go with that kind of thing. They tend to be a lot cheaper than the ones marketed to the hunting crowd.

It's not much, but I had my first saddle hunt today with a Weanas Thick harness I got for $50 off eBay. I've watched this forum for a bit before subscribing and seen a lot of the popular youtube channels/videos and came to understand two things. First, saddle hunting has been, and still is, a DIY-what-fits-you approach to hunting. Second, there is a clear digital marketing campaign to define the saddle hunting space around Tethrd and Aerohunter. What I've found: While those both seem to be great products, there are still a lot of other, satisfactory solutions in this space and no one should feel that NEED one of those solutions. I saddle hunted tonight for the first time in a setup that cost $200, that's the cost of a Mantis saddle and I was able to do the whole shebang for that price. Not knocking Tethrd, from what I've watched they make a great product, just offering personal experience in line with OPs ask.

I hear you and i agree that one reason or another those two brands seem to be the top dogs in the saddle space right now. I ordered an H2 saddle a few days ago. Looking forward to trying it. Considerably cheaper than either of the two big brands and has attributes of both of those saddle lines. But never would have heard of them if it weren’t for this forum. I tend to ride the edge of the most popular stuff out there in most things and this is no excepting at least in the beginning for me. Im sure the two brands make a nice product. But I also encourage others to check out the other less promoted products out there before plunking down your hard earned cash.

There’s at least 4 that I know of. Tethrd, Aero Hunter, Trophyline and H2. Theres also one that Wild Edge sells or will be soon. Called the Karak or something like that. Can’t remember now. But Aero Hunter makes it. Looks a lot like the Aero Hunter Kite. There’s also regular climbing gear companies that could work too. Some people just go with that kind of thing. They tend to be a lot cheaper than the ones marketed to the hunting crowd.

That's where I currently am. The one I got off Amazon, a rock climbing harness, seems perfectly fine for a multi-hour sit. Never noticed the weight and eventually I learned how to adjust and sit for comfortably in it. I've watched a fair amount of youtube footage of people in those name brand set-ups, and while I'm sure they're good for the price, they seem geared at the folks who want to get into saddle hunting with no experience, exploration, or learning curve. Which is fine, that's how businesses create and target markets, but while everyone who buys those products is a saddle hunter, not everyone who saddlehunts buys their products. As a newcomer, and thus relative outsider, I see a fair amount of discussion toward these big players on this forum, where search results from just 2-3 years ago show more "DIY-what works best for you" discussion.

That's where I currently am. The one I got off Amazon, a rock climbing harness, seems perfectly fine for a multi-hour sit. Never noticed the weight and eventually I learned how to adjust and sit for comfortably in it. I've watched a fair amount of youtube footage of people in those name brand set-ups, and while I'm sure they're good for the price, they seem geared at the folks who want to get into saddle hunting with no experience, exploration, or learning curve. Which is fine, that's how businesses create and target markets, but while everyone who buys those products is a saddle hunter, not everyone who saddlehunts buys their products. As a newcomer, and thus relative outsider, I see a fair amount of discussion toward these big players on this forum, where search results from just 2-3 years ago show more "DIY-what works best for you" discussion.

Right yeah. Makes sense. I know it’s centered around those companies and that’s fine I guess. I’m one that doesn’t like to follow the trend either. But usually find myself skirting around the outer edge of it. Same also goes for the platforms. The tethrd predator I’m sure is just fine and nice etc. but I found one called the Ridge Runner by Out on a Limb. I bought it knowing I would be getting into saddles and have to say I’m very impressed with it and to me seems more solid, stable and with more grip than the predator. Anyway I digress.

I'm assuming you hit up the saddlehunter map? There's some guys in kanasas and Iowa, maybe they'd meet you half way and you could try on their gear.
I'm 6'1" 230ish with a 38" waist and I have a flex #2. Fits me well and I have a big butt. Allows room for layering too. I wear mine to and from the tree without issue. I honestly don't feel the weight, I haven't used any other saddle but still.
My best advice would be to the map and see if anyone will meet up with you. Baring that, call the various manufacturers and chat. Also, I know tethrd and Aerohunter have return policies, not sure about the others but that's an option.

I'm assuming you hit up the saddlehunter map? There's some guys in kanasas and Iowa, maybe they'd meet you half way and you could try on their gear.
I'm 6'1" 230ish with a 38" waist and I have a flex #2. Fits me well and I have a big butt. Allows room for layering too. I wear mine to and from the tree without issue. I honestly don't feel the weight, I haven't used any other saddle but still.
My best advice would be to the map and see if anyone will meet up with you. Baring that, call the various manufacturers and chat. Also, I know tethrd and Aerohunter have return policies, not sure about the others but that's an option.

I did see the map. Might have to reach out to someone there.

Sounds like I'm going to end up flipping a coin in the end and will probably be happy with whatever I end up with. Agreed that most of the info/reviews out there especially on Youtube are Tethrd and Aerohunter. Good to know there are others that are worth considering.

It looks to me that the biggest difference in most of these saddles is the bridge. I feel like the fixed amsteel on the Mantis would be nice due to the small size and obvious strength. At the same time it would be nice to be able to adjust the length since I don't know what I prefer, but I don't want the bulk of knots, buckles, or carabiners. Is there a benefit between a webbing or rope bridge?

I’ve looked at a few different models as well. Being a bigger just a bit taller than you. It seemed like the flex would be the way I went. I’ve also looked into doing a BOD climbing harness and sit drag combo if I can’t get my hands on a flex soon....

Back