• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Saddle hunting cold weather

Jimmy85

So I’m confused on what to do with my saddle while hunting in cold weather. Most of the times I get pretty hot and sweaty climbing the tree bc I have all of my gear on. But I can’t think of anyway to put on a pair of bibs while up in the tree. I plan to buy some Firstlite gear to see if a system like that will help but does anyone have any other suggestions?

Get to your tree in time to cool down for 5 or 10 minutes. Then put your lower layers on and climb. Dress in upper layers once you're tethrd in. That's my system. I'm a sweaty dude and it works well. If it's a really brutal hike I'll usually have to change my top baselayer out once I get to my tree also.

I don't think there is any way to safely put bibs on once you're up there.

I climb pretty slowly and make sure I don't get myself all sweated up. What are you climbing with? If merely climbing is sweating you up that much it may be worth it to look into a simpler climbing method.

So I’m confused on what to do with my saddle while hunting in cold weather. Most of the times I get pretty hot and sweaty climbing the tree bc I have all of my gear on. But I can’t think of anyway to put on a pair of bibs while up in the tree. I plan to buy some Firstlite gear to see if a system like that will help but does anyone have any other suggestions?
Move very slowly. Put everything on at the bottom of the tree--cool down at bottom of the tree getting organized after the walk in before rushing up the tree. LEave earlier, and walk slower on the way in.

Only way I've found around this problem is to hike out in minimal clothes, for example my bibs are always strapped on the pack. At the tree I put on bibs and maybe extra socks. This also gives you time to cool down. Then climb slow.

Get to your tree in time to cool down for 5 or 10 minutes. Then put your lower layers on and climb. Dress in upper layers once you're tethrd in. That's my system. I'm a sweaty dude and it works well. If it's a really brutal hike I'll usually have to change my top baselayer out once I get to my tree also.

I don't think there is any way to safely put bibs on once you're up there.

I climb pretty slowly and make sure I don't get myself all sweated up. What are you climbing with? If merely climbing is sweating you up that much it may be worth it to look into a simpler climbing method.

Im using wild edge steps, which as soon as I feel I get the hang of them I have a rough climb. It’s not so much the climb but the amount of force I have to put in to camming them down that really gets me worked up. Gonna try some sort of stick during the off season. Mostly I just need to get my entire set up dialed in better.

Pack in light with just a base layer on. Strap the heavy layers to your pack. Layer up at the tree and take your time climbing up and setting your ambush. I use WE steps and they require little effort, although some technique. My two cents. Late season grinding - savor it!

Im using wild edge steps, which as soon as I feel I get the hang of them I have a rough climb. It’s not so much the climb but the amount of force I have to put in to camming them down that really gets me worked up. Gonna try some sort of stick during the off season. Mostly I just need to get my entire set up dialed in better.
I use the wild edge steps to climb also. I find that it just takes a good bit of time to get up and down the tree with them so I am wanting to try out the climbing stick method this off season also. I really like the wild edge setup though super light and perfect for a mobile hunter once you get the system down. Walking in with my baselayer on and my bibs/Jacket in my pack on the way in and then throwing them on once at the tree has worked really well for me this season though!

Sort of same as sureshot. I undress to base layers and move slow at base of tree getting ready and cooling off. I redress, and wear my Sanctuary bibs up with leg zippers open. Put tops on up in tree.

"the amount of force I have to put in to camming them down that really gets me worked up. Gonna try some sort of stick during the off season."
I think you already know what's causing your problem and what to do to fix it. Good advice overall, however, with practice sticks are easy to hang and climb as well.
Good luck.

I wear my saddle underneath my bibs, aerohunter kite to be specific. nice warm air gap instead of having the saddle on the outside...

Attachments

• 20191101_190240.jpg
    20191101_190240.jpg
    286.7 KB · Views: 76

I wonder if you need to be camming them down as tight as you are. I have the steps too and there’s a very fine line between too tight and just tight enough. I noticed that if mine are super tight to cam, the steps basically sink into the bark of the tree sometimes really deep. I found that if you barely loosen the knot on the step almost to where the rope doesn’t look like it even moved, and then pull the step up slightly further so that the standoff is almost starting to go past the rope around the tree, it usually works just right on the first try. Hopefully that makes some sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wear my saddle underneath my bibs, aerohunter kite to be specific. nice warm air gap instead of having the saddle on the outside...
What exactly are you using for Bibs? I recently sold my Stratus bibs because I didn’t think they added enough warm to beat out my Carhartt pants and base layers. I’ve considered getting Carhartt bibs which seems to be what you may have done? The Stratus and Fanatic bibs just picked up too many burs on the walk in. Also figure I can use the Carhartt bibs for snow blowing!

What exactly are you using for Bibs? I recently sold my Stratus bibs because I didn’t think they added enough warm to beat out my Carhartt pants and base layers. I’ve considered getting Carhartt bibs which seems to be what you may have done? The Stratus and Fanatic bibs just picked up too many burs on the walk in. Also figure I can use the Carhartt bibs for snow blowing!
Yep, I have the insulated Carhartt ****ies bibs and they keep me pretty warm in stupid cold temps in northern Minnesota, but you also need to layer appropriately under them.

edited: changed brand name of bibs.

Last edited:
Yep, I have the insulated Carhartt bibs and they keep me pretty warm in stupid cold temps in northern Minnesota, but you also need to layer appropriately under them.
So where are you passing the saddle through. I have a Kestrel and had a pair of Carhartt bibs when I was younger. I’m trying to picture where the saddle comes through. I’ve considered puffy pants from Sitka or Kuiu layered over my Smartwool merino 250 base and Simms wader liners, but as I’m sure you know, the loft loses all its R value when it’s compressed under the saddle. You might be on to something here!

So where are you passing the saddle through. I have a Kestrel and had a pair of Carhartt bibs when I was younger. I’m trying to picture where the saddle comes through. I’ve considered puffy pants from Sitka or Kuiu layered over my Smartwool merino 250 base and Simms wader liners, but as I’m sure you know, the loft loses all its R value when it’s compressed under the saddle. You might be on to something here!

Ok, so first off they are NOT Carhartt's, they are actually ****ies brand insulated coverall, my mistake. Second I attached a picture that show the front pocket, the red arrow pointing to the slit that allows access to your under garments, and you can see the back pocket to the right. I just fish the loops through that slit and have the saddle under the bibs. I hope this helps!

EDIT: I find it funny that the brand "D I C K I E S" was **** out...

20200122_084449.jpg

Last edited:
Back