• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Loc-on limit

BRAY2KAY

I've been looking at a xop vanish or something similar to use when not saddle hunting. After reading on this site I learned about the old loc-on series treestands and how light they were. Long story short I bought one a loc on limit 10 years ago off a guy for 25 bucks and put it in my building where it has stayed because it needs new cables and seat. Does anyone know where to find replacement parts for these? I got it out the other day and it's only like 7 lbs so might use it instead of buying a new stand.

I just did this exact same thing.

I do not recommend making cables out of amsteel. I have considered backing the metal ones up with amsteel though (IMHO, we throw amsteel at everything here and not just when it is the best idea).

I removed my cables, measured them, and ordered new from Lexco Cable (google them, call and talk to a sales rep).

You will have to bend the eyelets to match Loc On. (you'll see they have a curve)

I measured all my bolts and replaced all bolts and nuts with Grade 8 yellow zinc coated hardware that I ordered from Fastenal. I also replaced all washers with yellow zinc coated.

I replaced the cloth seat with a slumper seat (look on amazon). It stretches a lot. I ended up going back to the cloth seat that I think the previous owner had made.

Because this thing is ultralight, I did not want to use my usual US Army Molle straps and waist belt because those are nearly as heavy as the stand.

I made my own shoulder straps with ultralight Allen brand gun slings. I made a sternum strap out of a nite ize gear tie. I got a nylon tool belt belt from Lowe's and made a waist belt by burning holes in the belt and tying it to the stand.

I can send pics.

Whole set up with carry straps is around 8 lbs.

I forgot to add that I converted the tree strap to a Lone Wolf cam buckle strap (I can show method) where the two strap ends are connected with a small steel Petzl screw link.

All and all, the stand is possibly better than factory condition now.

Last edited:
@raisins , if you dont care I would appreciate pictures. I love diy projects

Sure.

When the cables are from the top bolts on the posts, then I got

24.75 inch (center eye to center eye) with 5/16 inch diameter eye. material was 1/8 inch galvanized wire with a clear coating (so I could more easily inspect for rust).

They worked perfectly for me. I worked with Phil Garcia at Lexco.

There is a old lengthy thread on archery talk or hunting beast using Amsteel for the cables. I would check it out.

See you in a tree, Ricky

still swear by adding chain to hang-on's instead of those cables. It does make it a little heavier but I feel it is worth it.

still swear by adding chain to hang-on's instead of those cables. It does make it a little heavier but I feel it is worth it.

Not to be disagreeable, but chains suffer from "weakest link" effect whereas cables or amsteel can lose several entire strands and still hold. Plus you'd have to silence chains more.

But now that I've blathered, why do you prefer chains?

I maybe but I think the one I’m thinking of was on archery talk and was much longer. I think it was about a lone wolf stand? Idk
It’s just a thought. If it won’t work it won’t work.

See you in a tree, Ricky
I"ve read this and you are 100% correct. its about putting it on an original sandcast LW. I think you are right about it being on archery talk too...hmm...maybe I have it bookmarked.

Please post up when you find the Amsteel thread on AT. Question for you guys, Did all the Limits have a 20 inch seat height? I want to change mine to 17 , need to know the cable length. I have a new seat with pipe insulation padding., but I'm short and afraid the bar will put my legs to sleep.

Please post up when you find the Amsteel thread on AT. Question for you guys, Did all the Limits have a 20 inch seat height? I want to change mine to 17 , need to know the cable length. I have a new seat with pipe insulation padding., but I'm short and afraid the bar will put my legs to sleep.

You can find this by shortening the seat and then putting it on telephone pole and then use string in place of the cables. Keep adjusting until you are happy and then measure the string.

Otherwise, you can measure everything (including angles) and use geometry and trig (this is a little more complicated than usual because the seat post is not parallel to the tree, so you will have to bisect the angle between the post and platform to make two right triangles).

If you want the math prediction, then measure everything and post here if you want any help.

Thanks, I checked the old Loc On web site and it looks like the Limit only had a 20 inch seat height. But maybe some of the olders ones had a 17, It would be good if you could get the cable eye on the platform end in a triple eye, then add a pin so you could change the angle on the platform. Not sure thats doable but its sounds good in theory. Get the pins out of aluminum wouldn't add to much weight.

Back