• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

When does pre-setting trees become littering?

You gotta be kidding me..Who would haul all that material in the woods? Some people...

Idk it was about 120 yards from the road, the trail to the stand was through a pine thicket where the deer are bedded and travel, the stand was facing the thicket that they came from.

But gear still isnt litter.
It is on public. You put it up before its allowed to be there, or leave it up past the prescribed time, it's litter. Just because you don't think it is doesn't mean that 100 other people agree. Do you think the ladder stand a few posts up is litter, or gear? If it is on public in PA, it's litter.

It is on public. You put it up before its allowed to be there, or leave it up past the prescribed time, it's litter. Just because you don't think it is doesn't mean that 100 other people agree. Do you think the ladder stand a few posts up is litter, or gear? If it is on public in PA, it's litter.
I wasn't defending anyone who is breaking the law. If the state doesn't allow stands left in place, or have limits on the time frame that they are left, then the law should be followed.
I still won't call it "litter" though. I stand by my original statement...Litter is something discarded with no intention of retrieving it.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

When its public ground period, unless it's legal but presenting now on public ground is no different than those who hang stands and claim that a spot is theirs as long as their stand is in the woods........ but then again it depends on the definition of preset...

Edit: I suppose I should have read all the posts prior to posting.... I agree if a preset includes steps or whatever its litter, period

I hunt public land and see climbing stands all the time. Some are hidden fairly decent and some are just boldly left in the open.

In my part of WI, the regs require removal of stands at the end of each day and no screw in steps or bolts on public. I don’t recall ever reading anything about leaving ropes. I’m not sure why but I am more bothered by finding stands left on public than ropes. I also wouldn’t hesitate to hunt a tree with a preset rope if that was the tree that needed to be hunted from that day but I would not sit in someone else’s stand due to safety concerns.

WI changed that two season ago. Can now leave stands out all season so long as they are tagged with the hunters name and phone number if I remember correctly. Screw in types are still prohibited.

I use black paracord on any tree I plan to hunt from more than once. It blends right in and isn’t noticeable (even when trying to locate it). Take them down at the end of the season as to not litter. I’ve yet to have someone pull my preset off a tree.

The thing is, during the season it's really about how the situation is approached. If a hunter has a preset, and leaves it legally on public land while not hunting, then said hunter returns to hunt only to find some is in the very tree he preset and proceed to cause a scene and ruin the day and potentially the spot..... meh I'd call that liter in my book, even of legal to leave in the woods. I'd say a large majority of the stands left in the woods are there to "claim" a spot for an individual, which is bs. It's the same arguement as gun hunters stating that bowhunters get to kill their deer before they can hunt..... arbitrary. Now, I personally would never sit in a spot where another has a setup, for no other reason than I dont know when they have been there last, how often they hunt there and so on.... i avoid other hunters like the covid:mask: LOL. But all of this is just my opinion, I hunt mobile, rarely hunt the same places more than 2 times. Public land is in fact public, meaning everyone's, respect isn't a common vurtue these as a on public hunting grounds. Leave your stand up for years at time but if someone uses it or setups close, they need to remember that it's not their property alone, that hunter has just as much right to be there.....

There's a couple different questions going on here: "Is paracord litter?" and as far as regulations are concerned "Is paracord a stand?" The first question is going to vary mostly by user and who's paracord it is. "If it's mine, it's not litter." As for the second, I think you'd be real hard pressed to consider paracord a treestand so many of those rules that specifically limit stands aren't applicable. Now if there's a reg that says you can't leave anything, cameras included, then you have something. But that goes back to the first question of what do you consider litter? Are trail cameras litter? What if you run year round?

WI changed that two season ago. Can now leave stands out all season so long as they are tagged with the hunters name and phone number if I remember correctly. Screw in types are still prohibited.

I use black paracord on any tree I plan to hunt from more than once. It blends right in and isn’t noticeable (even when trying to locate it). Take them down at the end of the season as to not litter. I’ve yet to have someone pull my preset off a tree.

No sir! That reg change only applies north of hwy 64. South of Hwy 64 you are required to remove your equipment every day at the end of shooting light.

There's a couple different questions going on here: "Is paracord litter?" and as far as regulations are concerned "Is paracord a stand?" The first question is going to vary mostly by user and who's paracord it is. "If it's mine, it's not litter." As for the second, I think you'd be real hard pressed to consider paracord a treestand so many of those rules that specifically limit stands aren't applicable. Now if there's a reg that says you can't leave anything, cameras included, then you have something. But that goes back to the first question of what do you consider litter? Are trail cameras litter? What if you run year round?

In the WI regs, there are specific rules written for cameras that include required identification being on the device. The language used in my regs is “ground blinds and elevated devices”. Is a piece of paracord hanging from a tree considered an “elevated device”? That can be debated. The section of the regs the language above is used in is titled ground blinds on state managed lands. I’ve never asked a conservation officer that question.

Do you tag the paracord with your name and phone number to be legal? Might prevent people from pulling down your litter. Just kidding but if it's part of your tree climbing system it seems to be a tree stand place holder part. Does the law say, if it is not tagged, any one can remove it?

Back