• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Use permanent stick ladder with your saddle?

JustinJitsu

Do any of you guys use permanent stick ladders with your saddles on private?

I have access to a nice 18 acre parcel that nobody else hunts. I have a couple cameras up and have been running around doing mobile hunts for the past little bit and have identified one spot that seems to be a prime setup for my rutcation. I am thinking about putting up a millenium stick ladder there this Sunday and leaving that spot alone until November. Just head out with my bag and Solo scout in the mornings?

Is it too late in the game to be putting up a permanent set?

Do any of you guys do this?

I have access to a nice 18 acre parcel that nobody else hunts. I have a couple cameras up and have been running around doing mobile hunts for the past little bit and have identified one spot that seems to be a prime setup for my rutcation. I am thinking about putting up a millenium stick ladder there this Sunday and leaving that spot alone until November. Just head out with my bag and Solo scout in the mornings?

Hey man first of all congrats on your permission!
Secondly, I wouldn’t go doing that. 18 acres seems like a chunk but you can blow deer out of it easily
Best to go in before daylight and throw some mobile sits at it to see what kind of action you’re seeing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There’s certainly nothing wrong with it, I’ve stayed away from those fixed ladders b/c they made noise climbing. On some of my private stuff i use bolts or reposition an old single ladder stand & stand on the seat. But go for it & see how it works

Hey man first of all congrats on your permission!
Secondly, I wouldn’t go doing that. 18 acres seems like a chunk but you can blow deer out of it easily
Best to go in before daylight and throw some mobile sits at it to see what kind of action you’re seeing

I have done 1/2 dozen mobile sits over there and took one doe last week. In this particular spot I am getting herds of does coming through at night and a couple decent bucks following them, but nothing in daylight. I have seen a couple lone does and a couple spikes coming through during shooting hours.

This spot is over a break in a stonewall that is a couple hundred yards from some seriously thick cattail marsh.

My thought was go in there mid-day, setup and then stay the heck out until the temps start dropping and the hormones start raging.

Otherwise, I will be going in there and setting up mobile every morning.

I think it's a solid idea. Presetting trees on unpressured private is a huge advantage in terms of time, weight, and noise savings on each hunt, and I think it's especially great on smaller parcels. As for what you use, I prefer bolts and screw-in steps because they're easier to install and quieter, but I see no reason to leave your ladder sitting in the garage all season just because you have a saddle (unless it's really squeaky or loud to climb).
When you go in to set up, bring a pole saw to trim shooting lanes if the cover is too thick--knock it all out at once, and you'll be just fine.

If you are going in to set up a ladder then do so what it is raining or first thing in the morning. Do it quietly and do not go back in till the rut. Having a ladder to climb would be ideal and then set up a platform would work great.

I haven't done it yet with the saddle but I have thought about buying some cheap climbing sticks after the season when they are clearance just to do that. Would make it quicker for me to setup for an after work hunt on the private that I hunt on.

I wouldn't hesitate presetting sticks now for November. Other option is to carry in the first time you hunt it.

I have done it on private before. I bought a few of the 16’ sticks after season at D1cks for like $30 each.
Killed a decent buck out of one set the first time I hunted it. I have had some stay up for years. I’ve had others that eventually fell over due to squirrel damage on the straps. Not sure they are worth messing with because you really should change the straps every year or (better yet) take the sticks down at the end of every season.

I set pre sets on my father in law’s property in my honey hole areas, I do not hunt them until rut, but it makes it way easier and quicker to sneak in and get to hunting height. I think if you already have a good spot picked out, but you are worried about spooking deer, try to go set up just before a rain, or during a light rain if you are not scared of melting.

I hunt a 70 acre farm and I have 4 - 20 stick ladders up in the best spots historically.
Last season I set one up on a new area/tree. It was a light rain went in about 10am and came back at 3pm. Proceeded to miss the biggest buck I’ve seen the same day I set the ladder. I think you should be good if you’re quiet, scent free etc.

I have 2 sets of 20 ft. ladders out now and 2 new ones set to go. I take my time and set them super slow and quiet at 10 or so in the morning preferably before a rain. I make sure that they are really tight so they are quiet to climb. Very quick and convenient. I also have seen deer the same day as setting them. I use rope on mine as I find I can get them really tight with it. I make a loop for one end, go around the tree, through the loop and pull as hard as I can. After tying it off I take the excess rope and wrap it around the 2 strands behind the stick and it tightens up very nicely. I make sure I am as scent free as possible while I set them just like I am hunting. I take mine down after the season and replace the ropes every year. Hope this helps and good luck this season.

Nothing beats a preset tree for a saddle, regardless how you do it. There is nothing as good as walking in wearing your saddle and climbing right up the tree and starting the hunt. I have a ton of trees prepped with screw in steps and bolts.

Back