• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Bucket Contest Smack Talk Thread

It may just be me! It's not illegal or wrong, I simply find it to be lame.
I have always been told that it was illegal in Illinois but I just looked through the hunt/trap digest and it says the only deer that is illegal to shoot is an all white one, says nothing about fawns spotted or otherwise.

So will really horny 150" deer during the thick of the rut. And yet we arbitrarily decide that targeting bucks during the one week out of the year they can breed, throwing caution, eating, and drinking to the wind, is somehow less lame than shooting a fawn that has what little wits it owns about it...
You must hunt somewhere with a lot less pressure than myself!

Isn't that the point of saddle hunting and being mobile?;)

@gcr0003 I'm just yanking your chain cuz im bored. Same as you I reckon sinc eyou think buckets and fawns are lame but you're posting all up in the bucket corner.
Since the plandemic my local public land looks like bass pro tree stand section! But I got’er done

You must hunt somewhere with a lot less pressure than myself!

I've hunted a lot of places. With pressure and without. And I've seen more antlered bucks completely disregard a homo sapiens in his hood during rut, than I have had spotted fawns in bow range.

I've hunted a lot of places. With pressure and without. And I've seen more antlered bucks completely disregard a homo sapiens in his hood during rut, than I have had spotted fawns in bow range.
Me too but our fawns don’t generally have spots come season lol
Not saying antlered deer don’t disregard humans during the rut but I disagree saying odds are higher that a rutted buck will be more oblivious than a fawn...

Isn't that the point of saddle hunting and being mobile?;)

@gcr0003 I'm just yanking your chain cuz im bored. Same as you I reckon sinc eyou think buckets and fawns are lame but you're posting all up in the bucket corner.
It is a bucket smack talk thread. I am talking smack about buckets and bringing awareness that fawns are legal to shoot in many states and that it is also lame. It's educational and entertaining.

Can you imagine telling your buddies about your fawn hunt. "I was hunt this real real young spotted fawn I called bambi, she/he prolly had two dozen spots, real nice pattern. I had gotten photos of it suckling on its momma a few weeks before season. It had a twin I also named bambi because I couldn't tell them a part. They would come by that tree every day for a month. Once season hit the hunt was on. Bambi read the script on the first hunt and came right in like I knew he/she would. I was ready with my mossberg shotgun and some buckshot sitting on my bucket. I almost didn't get it done but it all came together. After pulling the shot out of bambi and sewing up all the holes I got a nice 12x12" spotted fawn fur. It was the most tender 4 lbs of deer meat I ever had. It was a hunt of a lifetime."

-Nutterbuster probably

It is a bucket smack talk thread. I am talking smack about buckets and bringing awareness that fawns are legal to shoot in many states and that it is also lame. It's educational and entertaining.

Can you imagine telling your buddies about your fawn hunt. "I was hunt this real real young spotted fawn I called bambi, she/he prolly had two dozen spots, real nice pattern. I had gotten photos of it suckling on its momma a few weeks before season. It had a twin I also named bambi because I couldn't tell them a part. They would come by that tree every day for a month. Once season hit the hunt was on. Bambi read the script on the first hunt and came right in like I knew he/she would. I was ready with my mossberg shotgun and some buckshot sitting on my bucket. I almost didn't get it done but it all came together. After pulling the shot out of bambi and sewing up all the holes I got a nice 12x12" spotted fawn fur. It was the most tender 4 lbs of deer meat I ever had. It was a hunt of a lifetime."

-Nutterbuster probably
I figured you and swampy were way too drunk to remember that story. Obviously it resonated with you. You tell it better than I do!

Me too but our fawns don’t generally have spots come season lol
Not saying antlered deer don’t disregard humans during the rut but I disagree saying odds are higher that a rutted buck will be more oblivious than a fawn...

They're not oblivious. They know the human is there. But they are doing the math - the odds of them dying from a slow two footed critter are so much lower than their odds of passing on their genes if they don't mount that lady deer, that they make a decision (rather, their brain makes a decision for them) to ignore one in pursuit of the other.

And we can surely debate the exact odds, that sounds fun. But its a matter of slight degrees, with the proper framing. The point being made is that fawns are easy to kill because of their limitations caused by their youth. And yet we purposely hunt mature bucks when they're easier to kill because their limitations caused by the desire to breed reaching an annual crescendo. The difference is arbitrary.

You don't have to like it. It doesn't make it any less true.

Saw this fawn 3 days in row, she would wander a good ways away from her momma. Woulda been a challenge to shoot such a small target 5 yards from my tree. I guess I’m lucky to have even seen a spotted fawn. They are much more rare than mature bucks, harder to kill too. This was in Alabama in December.

The craft of being a comedian, or any good trash talk really, is built around the audience not knowing which way you really feel about the subject matter.

Which has convinced me that you enjoy a good fawn killin’ just a much as the next ButterNester.

@kyler1945 just doing my part to rail up some killers! I’m not a trophy hunter I got a pile of 110-120” bucks to prove it...If I have my bow and if in the slam dunk range I’ll shot anything legal...my moral code isn’t above yearlings bruh

I drove 11 hours Sunday looking for deer and have spent the evenings this week deep cleaning the gear closet and dumping about 8 hours into working on a deer killing spreadsheet.

I'm way past ready for cool weather and blood
Holy smokes that’s a lot of driving and time spent! I have had a few days of spring scouting, going off of last year encounters and pray I don’t see the massive hoard of southern and eastern boys invading my woods this year!

Back