• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

What's really needed for hunting?

Schemeecho

I have been thinking about a few things here lately. Which has raised more questions than I ever thought . In general, It's about the hunting industry. We have all these manufactures of hunting gear, right? Is all the latest and greatest Tech really needed to hunt? I understand that some gear needs to be purchased. Now I'm not knocking anyone who has the means to buy all the latest and greatest items, but that rabbit hole can be very deep. So I would think the pockets should be deep as well. So what about those of us who hunt on a budget? Getting by with the basic essentials Is tough. As new stuff floods the market our wants increase. Does the latest and greatest tech really improve our hunting abilities? I'm going to say no. If you think about it, Did the native American Indians, Cavemen, or the primitive tribes around the world go to their local outfitters and purchase the gear needed. No, it was a way of life. They all had to eat feed their families or the communities.
So what's the basic Items needed, I think you would need a way to capture the game , Like snares or traps, a way to kill the game, like bows, spears, guns, ect.
Other than the gear needed, What else does a hunter need? I would say they need the basic skill sets. What are those skill sets? In the early days you had what, three options at best? Those would be, trapping, Still Hunting or Stalk and Hunt, right? Each option needed a set of particular skills.
I'm still new to the Deer Hunting game. I think the basic skills would involve knowing the land and how the Game use it as well as how to use it to your advantage. Understanding how the Game go about their daily life. How and where to set up when Still Hunting. How to effectively Stalk the Game.
So my thoughts are this, If you had to hunt to survive. What would be the strategies That you feel would best serve you in the field. Let me know your thoughts. As this could really help us new hunters improve our own skill sets. Remember this is basic hunting at its core. If you feel I'm wrong in my thought process then please feel free to help me understand better. I'm looking forward to see y'alls input here. Have a great day.

If I had to hunt to survive. Spot light and a rifle. If I didn't have modern technology. I'm killing anything that walks I can get close enough to. Or trapping so I can do other things. Like gather, and hunt other things. I need fire for warmth, shelter, and water. I can't live on just meat. So If I am trying to survive, I am doing these other things needed to survive. Not chasing mature whitetails.

If you watch the series Alone you'll soon learn that passive hunting/fishing is far more effective and reliable than active hunting/fishing. Things like gill nets and snares consistently put food on the fire, whereas active hunting/fishing is spotty at best.

If survival was on the line, I'd deploy as many passive systems as I could.

I’m a thrifty hunter. I’m always looking to save money but not cut corners(safety first). I’m still using my modified SitDrag and Primal Steps with plywood insert platform. My whole set up is about $125 investment and I’m going on season 4 with it. I have mismatched camo usually bought at end of season clearance sales. Other than arrows/bullets and license there is not much more to spend each year. There is a BIG difference between needs and wants when it comes to hunting. Don’t get me wrong, the latest and greatest is fun… but not always necessary.

As an analogy, think about the AR15 after the ban sunset. For years, if you didn't have the latest whiz-bang accessory or were still running that outdated whiz-bang that was the hottest thing 6 months ago, you weren't "Tier 1". If it wasn't Tier 1, it was a crapstastic POS and the internet commandos were sure to point that out at every opportunity. It was so bad that I had sold all of my AR's because I was sick of it. Never mind the fact that a $300 parts bin rifle worked just as well as a $3k race rifle.

Thankfully, I haven't seen that mindset on this forum with only constructive criticism when warranted. The analogy though does point out the nature of business in general. To stay in business, you need to sell stuff. To sell stuff, you need to convince buyers that your product is the best and what you currently have isn't good enough. The maturity of the buyer though is knowing what is truly needed and what is a shiny trinket.

Call it a hobby, midlife crisis or reliving the glory days, but buying different toys and trying different techniques I'll never use when hunting is fun. It's an activity with exercise and I enjoy cobbling together different parts and methods to see if it works better and even if it doesn't, I still learned something. I also know that once it comes time to actually hunt, 90% of it will collect dust while I go back to the simplicity understanding that I'll probably change things between each hunt because that's the way I am.

After WWII, the returning GI's had plenty of success with nothing more than their uniforms and a basic rifle. Yes, the latest and greatest is warmer, lighter, cooler, scent reducing, silhouette reducing and everything else, but does it necessarily translate to more kills? Who knows. I've been busted when doing everything right and have stumbled across deer at 10 yards walking through the woods doing everything wrong. That's hunting.

In terms of what is "needed", #1 is confidence in yourself and equipment. Not knowing if you or your equipment can make the kill is a sure way to end in failure. Everything else is simply comfort items to help pad that confidence. Early season, I'm hunting in old work pants and a camo shirt I bought for cheap. Mid season, I'll switch over to my surplus USGI wools and late season I have insulated coveralls. My arrows are $10/each, carbon fiber shaft, standard diameter with G5 CS heads and weight just under 400gr. each. I have no idea what the FOC is and frankly don't care. They fly true and go exactly where I want them if I do my part.

I have a quality rangefinder as that gives me confidence in judging distances. A quality, sharp knife is also needed for gutting along with some method to get the deer out of the woods. After that, it's simply a matter of deciding whether you want to butcher your own deer or have it processed.

Having said this however, others may find their hobby and enjoyment in dialing in that perfect FOC, lovingly hand built each arrow to exacting tolerances. In the end, it's each to their own.

I really liked reading your comments guys But most have of you missed the point of the conversation. I wasnt talking strictly survival. @MNFarmHunter was the closest. What I was talking about was ditching the gear and focus on the actual hunt. What are the skills that are most important for a hunter. For example does having the scent lock clothing or not affect if you kill a Deer or not? If you saddle hunt do you have to have that $190.00 platform ?
Lets put it another way. If you were giving a new Hunter advice, would you say meet me at where ever outfitters and say now lets go buy $1000's worth of gear? Or would you say , lets not focus on gear right now. grab your weapon and lets go find something to hunt? Keeping the focus on how to hunt, where to hunt and when to hunt, then showing examples of the needed skills? My point to this was to see how many people thought that having all this tech and gear that it made them a more efficient hunter. Or if any one would say it's not about the gear it's about understanding what you are doing and why you do it to be the best hunter you can be. I'm a simple guy and i dont need all the gear. I only need what needed for the desired hunting method I choose. If saddle hunting and I chose to one-stick.. I only need the saddle, the needed ropes, a climbing stick and maybe a platform. My point is we get so caught up in the wants

So I'm not 100% sure of the details of the scenario we are discussing (e.g. I was born thousands of years ago into a hunter gatherer culture or I have to hunt to survive starting now).

However, assuming this is how I have to feed myself, I would have as many diverse strategies for food as possible such as the following.

Snares/traps

Nets, unattended baited lines, and fish walls

Foraging for seasonal fruits, nuts, and plants

Farming - many cultures that appear to be hunter gatherers also cultivate crops on varying scales

Livestock - if this is a forever thing, I'd try to raise or develop some kind of livestock. Assuming no domesticated animals are already available, finding a nest, and trying to raise turkey poults is probably my only remotely plausible option based on where I currently live.

Hunting would definitely figure in some, but it would have to be very different than how I do it as a hobby. The time required and low success rate means I can't put too many eggs in that basket.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Well, seems I missed the point entirely.

Based on your clarification, technically all that you need is clothing that is appropriate to the temperature and meets legal requirements such as fluorescent orange, a sufficiently powered weapon, and a license for the game you are hunting. Everything after that is to a greater or lesser extent optional.

I grew up hunting farms in a mountainous area. Usually we hunted off the ground and positioned ourselves at high vantage points that allowed you to see and cover quite an area with a scoped rifle. It worked and didn't require much.

If I was starting a new hunter out, I would ask what their goals are, where they will be hunting, what game they are hunting, and what their budget is and take it from there.

So I'm not 100% sure of the details of the scenario we are discussing (e.g. I was born thousands of years ago into a hunter gatherer culture or I have to hunt to survive starting now).

However, assuming this is how I have to feed myself, I would have as many diverse strategies for food as possible such as the following.

Snares/traps

Nets, unattended baited lines, and fish walls

Foraging for seasonal fruits, nuts, and plants

Farming - many cultures that appear to be hunter gatherers also cultivate crops on varying scales

Livestock - if this is a forever thing, I'd try to raise or develop some kind of livestock. Assuming no domesticated animals are already available, finding a nest, and trying to raise turkey poults is probably my only remotely plausible option based on where I currently live.

Hunting would definitely figure in some, but it would have to be very different than how I do it as a hobby. The time required and low success rate means I can't put too many eggs in that basket.

its about the mindset of all the gear somehow making you a better hunter verses the skills needed to hunt. i have a network of new you young hunters and i here the same things from them . I need this and this to hunt better. They are not even focused on what hunting is and how skills take a place in it. I'm still new to hunting but i tend to focus on trying my best to find the Deer . It doesn't matter how much gear I have if i'm not in a spot that offeres me a chance to get a kill

Here's a little bit about me. When I started hunting I did it for the meat to be honest. I love deer meat. Plus I love nature. I started with a Hoyt bow that a friend gave me a GREAT DEAL ON. I bought a simple hang on tree stand from walmart and a cheap set of sticks. walked out in the woods climbed in a tree and sat. Thats all I did was sit for months, never getting even a sight of a deer. I talked with my friend and told him what I was doing and he laughed so hard. He told me to come with him one day. So I did. He sat me in a stand that he had . That morning Bang I got a deer. I tried it on my own the next season and stiil nothing. So I had to figure out what I was doing wrong. Easy in a tech world right, wrong. I hit youtube and searched how to deer hunt. I'm sure you can imagine what all came up. Lots of info but where to start. So I picked up some basic things like bedding areas and food sources and scouting. I never thought of scouting. Stupid me. So Before next season started I went scouting. That was more difficult than I thought it would be. Where do i start? I found some trees dropping acorns and sat up close to them. I say deer for the first time but couldnt get in bow range . so I sold my bow and bought a riffle. Wish i still had the bow. Then i found this site and started to ask my questions. I was surprised at how many guys were willing to help as much as they could. That being said I got so much more info and was on info overload. But last season I started to apply what was suggested for me to try and I started bumping deer. So being a self taught hunter The learning curve is steep and every year I get better.

Gotcha.

For a brand new hunter, I'd tell them to get basic equipment.
- Low cost weapon that they shoot well, skip all of the fancy stuff
- Low cost sticks and a cheap hang-on (or saddle)
- For arrows, skip the technical jargon and get regular arrows from an archery shop with fixed broadheads. If they shoot straight, leave them alone
- Rangefinder
- Notepad w/ pencil

For areas, go onto google earth (and I hate google) and look at the area you're hunting. Find their food (acorns, farm fields) and their water (ponds, streams). Walk the area between the two, find the path they're traveling on and sit nearby. If no paths, go to the next area and repeat.

That'll give them a chance at a deer. After the season is over, only then can/should they start looking at things to improve.

Edit: In the off-season, read everything you can about how and why deer move the way they do. All of the equipment in the world is useless if you don't setup where the deer may be.

Wow, great question and great responses so far. I’ll add my $0.02. We all hunt with way more than we need. A license, knife, and weapon are the bare essentials. I used to hunt with a very cheap setup, and did just fine. But now I regularly haul 50+ pounds of gear into the woods, and spend hundreds, and sometimes thousands, of dollars a year on hunting. Why? It is a unique intersection of a lifestyle, hobby, and food procurement process. So if I spend a dollar on hunting, it is pretty rewarding for a variety of purposes. When I was a broke teeenager I’d look at the older, therefore more experienced, and therefore more successful guys’ gear with a little bit of jealousy. Now that I’m older and have a little more flexibility with my finances, when I see a bow or saddle or rangefinder or whatever that I like, the teenage hunter within still speaks up! I now know that it was their experience, and not the gear, that I should have been jealous of, but it doesn’t matter.
Just get out and hunt with what you have!

I tried this topic a few times. It always ends up going another direction. Weapon, clothes to stay warm, patients and time. All you need. Plus a tag if you want to be legal.

I have my pack whittled down to the bear minimum I need to hunt effectively, comfortably, safely.

There are some items that are non-negotiable to me like a 2 flashlights with extra batteries, knife, small amount of water, safety gear, etc.

You need 3 things:
1. Hunger
2. Huaraches sandals
3. Raramuri blood running in your veins; anyone who can literally run a wild turkey to death and walk it back home is pretty hungry...
I don't want to derail this conversation, but I've always found endurance hunting fascinating. From my understanding, according to a few accounts, it's been observed in Africa and the Americas.

Apparently humans expend less energy walking bipedally and cool themselves more effectively than quadrupeds. If the conditions are right and you can track the same animal over a long enough distance to prevent it from recuperating, it's possible.

I think the very first thing to address is the misnomer of the skills to be a consistently successful hunter being "basic". We have to learn the quarry's habits and habitats, we have to learn different tactics for ambush, we have to learn how to move through the environment we are hunting, we have to learn and understand how the air or water moves, we have to learn how our presence in the environment impacts our efforts. The accumulation and application of all of these things learned is what moves the needle towards repeatable success. From that perspective, I would say a desire to learn and understand coupled with the patience to observe and endure are the first tools to building a successful hunter without regard to weapon or equipment.

This is really a great thread. It’s easy to get caught up in the gear, though that’s a fun part of the hobby in and of itself for those of us who like to tinker. I completely agree with the others who have stated that passive hunting, fishing, and targeting small game are all better tools for survival than chasing white tailed deer. However, I do believe that hunting deer for meat can be done at a net savings compared to purchasing meat at the store by keeping things simple. In my opinion the necessities would be:
- Appropriate clothing, camo is nice but not necessary (neither is scent control clothing)
- Adequately powered weapon. For minimalistic purposes a $200 crossbow is just fine and much less expensive than all that goes into a minimalistic compound bow hunting setup (with less learning curve and less tinkering required). Many deer rifles can be had for less than $300, as can muzzle loaders and shotguns.
- A license
- A sharp knife
- For archery hunting I consider a rangefinder to be necessity (but can be a $70 one off amazon)
- Flashlight for tracking at night

As far as basic skills:
- Finding deer habitat, recognizing bedding and food sources as well as recognizing trails and deer sign
- Handling weapon of choice SAFELY and shooting accurately; basic knowledge of vitals
- Planning a setup based on wind direction and approaching without excessive noise, without walking in sight of bedding or blowing scent into bedding

If you have access to private land and baiting is legal in your state, you can get around a lot of the required skills by setting up 20 yds down wind of a corn pile. Nothing wrong with that either. The basic equipment would still apply but could do without a rangefinder given the known distance.

I'm a new hunter. I don't know how long I'll keep saying that but it's my second season and I wasn't successful last year. I agree that you don't need a lot of gear to hunt, but there are some things that make it easier. Let's take sticks for example, I went with hawk helium a last year. They are heavy and long (30 inches) and likely made me sweat and make more noise on the walk in than I should have. In a moment of weakness, I recently bought some beast sticks off of the classifieds(haven't arrived yet). They will get me up in the tree too. Did I need them? Technically no, but also in some ways yes, I want/need to carry less weight.

It's very easy to get caught up in the gear, I know I have, particularly in the off season. 10 more days.

Back