• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Who's using single bevel broad heads?

Do the single bevels leave a better blood trail than double because of the S twist they seem to leave? Also, any noticeable difference in lack of penetration?

I've been using Grizzly and Tuffhead single bevels for a few years now and have had great results. I use left bevel and match my fletching. I started using left bevel because my trad arrow setup had a left helical fletching jig on my Bitzenberger. That is what I started with and what I have used. It makes things simple. I normally mount the 190 broadheads on 100 grain steel adapters for the compound which makes a roughly 300 grain head.

I get them hair popping sharp.

In 2019 I broke down my biggest buck to date with a shoulder shot at 12 yards with a 190 grizzly left bevel, 650 grain arrow with 29% FOC. The buck never took another upright step. His front legs gave way and he pushed himself on his nose 20 yards off into a creek and that was that. This was out of a 60 pound compound.

I had a doe take a step just as the arrow released and resulted in a gut shot. That arrow passed through her so effortlessly and quietly she didn't realize what happened. She walked over a few yards and bedded down. I did not have another chance for a follow up shot.

I did both of these to the same buck in 2019. First shot was liver/gut @ 15 yards, he bounded a couple times and stopped looking back. I sent the 2nd arrow (35 yards now) quartering away and broke the off side humerus just below the joint to the scapula. 660 TAW, 125gr samurai, 55lb pse x force from like 2009. Snow plowed 30 yards. Dead.

Do the single bevels leave a better blood trail than double because of the S twist they seem to leave? Also, any noticeable difference in lack of penetration?

I think most won't complain of less penetraition as most people I see shooting single bevel are also bumping up their TAW North of 500 grains.

If you have the confidence to keep them absolute scary sharp, you'll get good blood trails. If you fail to do so, you'll be cussing the whole time.

Could you help me out a bit with some examples? I'm curious, also curious how a third blade may or may not fit with Dr. Ashby / RF. Does it perform similarly to a two blade in penetration, and/or bone splitting performance?
I guess the best example would be the Ranch Fairy 3 blade single bevel…

Most single bevel broadhead users aren't concerned with blood trails, because the deer falls within sight.
Penetration is typically higher, due to the bone splitting ability of a single bevel vs. any other blade design. :cool:

In my experience, good blood trails are a result of a combination of factors. Things like broadhead sharpness, 2 holes in the deer vs one, the location of the exit hole (low on the body is better) and organs and arteries and veins cut during the broadhead's passage all come into play. I do think there is an advantage to the single bevel broadhead's rotation as it passes through tissue. For one it cuts a spiral path that cuts more surface area, and two it has a higher chance of cutting arteries, veins and capillaries at a bias (say a 45 degree cut instead of a 90 degree cut). The only complaint that is usually leveled against single bevels is that they tend to be narrow, as in the 3 to 1 ratio of the Grizzlies and Tuffheads. Many single bevels today have gone to a wider, shorter profile and many are as wide as any other fixed head.

The real advantage to a single bevel is its increased potential to breach heavy bone and continue penetrating. It also has benefits while passing through soft, mobile tissues like intestines. There are a lot of good reason to use a single bevel and not many if any downsides.

This doe was shot at about 10 yards with a 3 to 1 ratio Grizzly broadhead, which is about 1 and 1/8 inch wide. The broadhead was hair popping razor sharp. Entrance was high on the deer, passing just under the backstrap and the exit was low, behind the shoulder on the offside. She made it maybe 25 yards and died within seconds. There was profuse bleeding. The puddle to the right in the picture was from the wound, the puddle to the left was from her mouth. I flipped her over before taking the picture.

Attachments

• piebald doe 1.jpg
    piebald doe 1.jpg
    469.1 KB · Views: 45
I’ve shot Rage for a decade now and we all know they are not “scary sharp” and I’ve had tremendous blood trails and deer die within 50-60 yards. 20+ deer with Rages

Before that I was a Muzzy guy. Basically same results but had a few deer run further

I have some Kudus and Magnus to try this yr but I didn’t switch for better blood trails

I am sold on the fact that single bevel has better bone breaking ability but I don’t expect better results in any other department

The one thing I have noticed, and it is anecdotal based off about 30 deer with mechanical broadheads (shwacker) and 20 or so deer with single bevels and heavy arrows is the deer's reaction to being hit. Very often during my early days with mechanicals, the deer would react to an arrow like I hit them in the butt with a boat paddle. They would tear the woods down trying to get away, especially if the arrow was still in them. The single bevels with high FOC just zip through them and most deer don't seem to realize they have been hit. It's really cut down on the post shot distances I have had to track deer.

Could you help me out a bit with some examples? I'm curious, also curious how a third blade may or may not fit with Dr. Ashby / RF. Does it perform similarly to a two blade in penetration, and/or bone splitting performance?
In the studies 3 blade is the worst preformer with bone split....RF says in his videos the reason they are promoting the 3 blade is so peeps will be able to get them sharper easier.
3 blade will act like a wedge so u need more horsepower to get thru hard stuff. Double bevel has to slice/cut thru and 2nd best preformer, and the single bevel rotational torque pop/split bone opening a bigger "hole" so very little shaft drag
Think of a wood chisel....if u had a double bevel blade and hit it with a hammer into wood it will slice into the wood until all energy dumped....now with a proper single bevel chisel when u hit with the hammer it cuts and a chip pops up and away from the work face

Good analogy with a wood chisel. I'm planning on shooting helix 125s this season but I do wish they had bigger cutting width. If it's on target it shouldn't matter though

I guess the best example would be the Ranch Fairy 3 blade single bevel…
Those are actually a double bevel design. The ease of sharpening and added durability is what gets the RF's endorsement on that particular head. The ozcut hurricane is a three blade single bevel though

Good analogy with a wood chisel. I'm planning on shooting helix 125s this season but I do wish they had bigger cutting width. If it's on target it shouldn't matter though
If you want a similar broadhead to the Helix, take a look at the Landshark. The only reason I don't like the Landshark, Helix or any other broadhead that has a curve or angle to the blade edge, is that it's difficult to sharpen. :rolleyes: Otherwise, they're great heads.

The one thing I have noticed, and it is anecdotal based off about 30 deer with mechanical broadheads (shwacker) and 20 or so deer with single bevels and heavy arrows is the deer's reaction to being hit. Very often during my early days with mechanicals, the deer would react to an arrow like I hit them in the butt with a boat paddle. They would tear the woods down trying to get away, especially if the arrow was still in them. The single bevels with high FOC just zip through them and most deer don't seem to realize they have been hit. It's really cut down on the post shot distances I have had to track deer.
This is a HUGE issue for me, as I have had the same experiences. :rolleyes:
I absolutely love it when the deer has no idea what just happened and walks a short distance, then falls over dead! :cool: This is one of the many reasons for my switching over to a heavy arrow setup, single bevel broadheads and cut-on-contact broadheads.

This is a HUGE issue for me, as I have had the same experiences. :rolleyes:
I absolutely love it when the deer has no idea what just happened and walks a short distance, then falls over dead! :cool: This is one of the many reasons for my switching over to a heavy arrow setup, single bevel broadheads and cut-on-contact broadheads.
This is the performance I'm hoping for!!

The trad guys have been shooting heavy arrows with fixed heads - often single-bevel - basically forever, and killing all manner of game just fine.

As far as blood trails and anatomy, I'm going to sound a bit like a door-to-door evangelist here, but I highly recommend the Ranch Fairy videos on the topic. I'd estimate he has about 3-4 hours at 20-30 minutes at a pop, discussing anatomy, shot placement, blood trails. Complete with necropsies on deer and hogs. Talks a lot about anatomy, and his own education, but he really doesn't say anything that we didn't learn in middle school science class, he's just applying it to killing deer. BLUF: shoot forward, where the heart/lungs are; shoulder movement will close up the wounds and thereby prevent blood trails; shooting behind the shoulder at an angle involves the stomach and stomach contents can cork up the holes you were counting on for a blood trail. Quote: "Don't try to wound it to death [for the sake of a blood trail], KILL IT!".

Back